Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GOOD NEWS! The defense is #16 in the league. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 11, 2006, 03:53:22 PM

Okokok, so WEEE SUUUCK!

Sorry 'bout that.

I just noticed that the Defense has moved up in the rankings solidly each of last three weeks.  Currently, we are ranked #16 in the league, and theoretically are still in contention to finish in the top 10.

However, we would need to average around 170 yards given up a game over the last three games to do it.

Not gonna happen.

However...We face the Bears (Suck on O!), the Browns (Suck!) and Seattle (Ummm...don't suck, but aren't exactly lighting it up either).

However... ... ... we still don't have much of a shot.

Anyway, the real point of this post is:

The Defensive drop off was not as precipitous as it initially looked, and we're more  than likely going to finish again in the top half of the league.  We need to patch a few holes on D this offseason, but the D will probably be decent again next year...

However... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I recommend we hire Lewis and Clark for the Offense and send them out in search of this fabled "End Zone".

If it exists.

Not only that but the talent on defense is not that great.

Monte is a true genious.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 11, 2006, 04:30:12 PM

You keep saying Gruden shouldhave, should have but didn't...that is the past I am referring to.  I thought given the nature of the cap, what the Bucs were working with, espescially given their #1 ranking from prior year, was more than sufficient.

What does this have to do with Ruud being about the only starter we have on defense that will get better? I'm not really talking about old personnel decisions here. I'm talking about the future.

Again, you are letting the obvious fly right over your head.

What if Ruud didn't pan out, and was a straight up dud, and Phillips and Allen were dynamite players back there?  What if DeWayne White recorded 17 sacks?

The point is this:  No one knew any better, and at the onset of the season, most thought the safeties, though untried for the most part, were sufficient in keeping the defense intact.

It all falls onto Hindsight being 20/20.

You say Gruden neglected the defense, I say he may not have known that thje safeties would suck rocks, and the d-line would getr obliterated and traded away...

The only guys who were in need of dire replacement were ...?

We know Q, Rice, and DB were getting old, but Ronde still has gas left in the tank, and might still be a very integral part of this defense given better front line support, right?

And Gruden did try to work something out of Cooper, and he tanked.  Blue is nothing, Nicholson was a shot at trying to upgrade...

Things happen.  Most disconcerting is how poorly the offense has played, and he definitely drafted O heavy for the most part.  The defense at #16 is still garbage in my eyes, but it doesn't speak of blatant neglect, as you insinuate.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#17 : December 11, 2006, 04:43:02 PM

We're talking about two different things here. You're talking about the past, and I'm talking about the future, like I already said. I know what you're saying, but I think you're trying to continue some arguement from a different thread. Just to add something to this hindsight thing, I was saying the same thing about the defense last year, so it's not a problem for me.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 11, 2006, 07:40:55 PM

We're talking about two different things here. You're talking about the past, and I'm talking about the future, like I already said. I know what you're saying, but I think you're trying to continue some arguement from a different thread. Just to add something to this hindsight thing, I was saying the same thing about the defense last year, so it's not a problem for me.

No we are talking about the future. :o

BTW I saved you a seat for the Gaines Adams bandwagon.  ;)

gone

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 11, 2006, 07:50:45 PM

I don't get all the Hate for Allen.  He's in his third year, second with significant playing time, and on his second position coach.  A coach that came in arguably knowing LESS about the system than he did.  Coaching changes have more of an impact on younger guys.  He was looking like he was bound to be the future there last season, and now you want to hang him?  Cut the guy some slack, on a unit that is struggling as a whole, he isn't the worst performer.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 11, 2006, 08:00:46 PM

I don't get all the Hate for Allen.  He's in his third year, second with significant playing time, and on his second position coach.  A coach that came in arguably knowing LESS about the system than he did.  Coaching changes have more of an impact on younger guys.  He was looking like he was bound to be the future there last season, and now you want to hang him?  Cut the guy some slack, on a unit that is struggling as a whole, he isn't the worst performer.

I am still in Allen's corner.  I saw a glimmer of hope in the Dallas game.  He was hobbled but was still all over the field making tackles that day.  I was dissapointed in his play yesterday but he is a young player and his first season as a starter.  He is a smart kid and I am confident he will pull it together.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GOOD NEWS! The defense is #16 in the league. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools