Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Gruden a Liar? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

creekchub00

Starter

: December 11, 2006, 04:00:55 PM

I didn't want to write this, because I have been giving Gruden the benifit of the doubt but it seems to be going to far?

It seems that more and more that Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Jon Gruden is getting caught in a lie, or being accused of lying.

Let us start with his most recent "lie" earlier in the week. Gruden said, "I dont forsee a quarterback change, although if we continue to throw interceptions it will be a change we obviously need to make". This was when QB Bruce Gradkowski was our starter. Gradkowski never threw an interception against the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, but by the end of the game QB Tim Rattay was in the game. Gradkowski was responsible for a lost fumble which was returned for a touchdown by Atlanta, but it was not an interception, and hardly his fault. While I am not for or against a quarterback change it seems that Saint Jon, lied?

Read More... Buccaneers Coach Jon Gruden a Liar?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 11, 2006, 04:02:37 PM

Gruden said, "I dont forsee a quarterback change,

That statement doesn't rule it out either.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 11, 2006, 04:03:28 PM

well when you have 52 yards in total offense in the 2nd half, yeah you can make a change and be let off without being called a liar in my book.

Baghead #2

#3 : December 11, 2006, 04:04:52 PM

How exactly does this constitute "going too far?"

Shag

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 11, 2006, 04:06:16 PM

He's not a liar, he just doesn't have the best look into the future. Our defense already knew that though. :)

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 11, 2006, 04:06:25 PM

I don't get all caught up in the whole "liar" thing. Moose Johnston got his feathers ruffled because he told him that he wouldn't go to Rattay in the game yesterday during their pre-game interview at the team hotel. Did Gruden put his hand on the Bible and swear to it? Was he under oath? Gimme a break. Gruden didn't likely foresee a change (probably because he expected Gradkowski to play better) and he reserves the right to change his mind.

watson

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 11, 2006, 04:06:51 PM

Coach speak.  All coaches say things like this.  I doubt they go into any game expecting to make a change in players, but all the players know that they are susceptible to being replaced at any time.  We fans try to take too much of what is said literally.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

creekchub00

Starter

#7 : December 11, 2006, 04:07:50 PM

I believe if you are going to stand by him stand by him. Although the game appeared to be over, there was still a possibility of the win when Gruden made the switch. If he wants Rattay to start next week then that is fine, but don't pull him for no apparent reason, other then lack of production when you just said you most likely wouldn't pull him unless he throws interceptions.

Going to far... How are players going to trust him, if they are getting lied to? If the players don't trust him, are they going to play 100% for him. There is somthing wrong with this team, I think this might possibly have somthing to do with it. Just my perspective, thought it might be an interesting topic to debate.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#8 : December 11, 2006, 04:09:43 PM

I think Gruden is getting tired of Grads 120 yard games....and wanted to show him that he isn't guaranteed the starter....of course hes starting this week...but whats the difference whether we go 3-13 or 6-10...might as well go with the rookie to let him get experience.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 11, 2006, 04:10:02 PM

Well, "I dont forsee a quarterback change" is hardly "no way in hell is anyone going to take a snap other than Bruce Gradkowski from here on out".

Additionally, in reference to your full article aimed at stirring stuff up:

Keenan McCardell used the exact same argument in Jacksonville, claiming the organization made "promises" to him. Sapp had to be let go thanks to the cap gobbling contract that McKay gave to the space waster who was supposed to replace him and is now isn't making plays for Indy. Finally, the Bucs did not want John Lynch to leave, but he flatly refused to take a backup role and remain in Tampa (Lynch himself confirmed this in his first radio interview after his release).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 11, 2006, 04:10:14 PM

My take, a bit different than lying but perhaps not a ton better.

http://www.nflfans.com/buccaneers1/article.php?story=20061211145636699

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

creekchub00

Starter

#11 : December 11, 2006, 04:11:41 PM

I don't get all caught up in the whole "liar" thing. Moose Johnston got his feathers ruffled because he told him that he wouldn't go to Rattay in the game yesterday during their pre-game interview at the team hotel. Did Gruden put his hand on the Bible and swear to it? Was he under oath? Gimme a break. Gruden didn't likely foresee a change (probably because he expected Gradkowski to play better) and he reserves the right to change his mind.

You are right that he didn't "swear" on it, but I would have trouble "trusting" the coach if I was Rattay or any future QB playing under him. If you say you are sticking by your guy stick buy him. Putting Rattay in did nothing to help us in that game, and Grads still had an outside chance to win that game for us.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 11, 2006, 04:12:06 PM

After I replayed the game the second time (I always replay it once with the sound off) I heard Moose's comments. They seemed a little harsh to me, and someone like Johnston should really know better.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 11, 2006, 04:12:51 PM

Putting Rattay in did nothing to help us in that game, and Grads still had an outside chance to win that game for us.

He made the right move then.

creekchub00

Starter

#14 : December 11, 2006, 04:14:30 PM

Well, "I dont forsee a quarterback change" is hardly "no way in hell is anyone going to take a snap other than Bruce Gradkowski from here on out".

Additionally, in reference to your full article aimed at stirring stuff up:

Keenan McCardell used the exact same argument in Jacksonville, claiming the organization made "promises" to him. Sapp had to be let go thanks to the cap gobbling contract that McKay gave to the space waster who was supposed to replace him and is now isn't making plays for Indy. Finally, the Bucs did not want John Lynch to leave, but he flatly refused to take a backup role and remain in Tampa (Lynch himself confirmed this in his first radio interview after his release).

I never thought that it meant Grads was the starter from here on out, but he pulled him while a win was still within reach.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Gruden a Liar? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools