Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Underrated on the Bucs.. Overrated... by fans and media.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

LFO

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 18, 2008, 09:07:45 PM

Alstott is loved because he was a team player all the way and a good human being as well as for being a good player.   He was also a throwback type of guy who ran like a bull.   That's what football is supposed to be all about.   He's the type of guy every fan wants on their team.

I will never doubt his community involvement (although Dunn is far less loved and did far more) and his running style, but fact is his production still does not warrant his status.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 18, 2008, 09:12:48 PM

(although Dunn is far less loved and did far more)

Dunn left to go play for the hated Falcons.   Alstott has always been a loyal Buc.   

LFO

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 18, 2008, 09:27:34 PM

(although Dunn is far less loved and did far more)

Dunn left to go play for the hated Falcons.   Alstott has always been a loyal Buc.   

Dunn also did more for this community than Alstott ever did.

Perhaps Dunn's greatest fault is he is black.

IIRC, Dunn did not leave so much as he was not retained.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 18, 2008, 09:40:35 PM

No, he left. 

The Bucs tried to keep him but the Falcons offered more than we could, as we were already having cap problems.  More than that, the Falcons offered more than Dunn was worth.   I say that as a fan of his, and I am also a Seminole.

He left.  I can't blame him for that as the contract the Falcons gave him was terrific.

.....just my opinion

LFO

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 18, 2008, 09:44:37 PM

No, he left. 

The Bucs tried to keep him but the Falcons offered more than we could, as we were already having cap problems.  More than that, the Falcons offered more than Dunn was worth.   I say that as a fan of his, and I am also a Seminole.

He left.  I can't blame him for that as the contract the Falcons gave him was terrific.

If anyone would have offered Alstott anything he would have left too....except nobody did because he wasn't worth anything anywhere else.  He was always overrated and anyone outside of TB knew it. 

Dunn was a great player here and a great guy....just as much as Alstott if not more.....his homes for Single mothers program is one of the greatest things anyone has ever done in this area.....yet he doesn't get any love, yet Alstott does. 

Alstott is the most overrated Buc ever, IMO.....well, outside of Larry Brackins that is.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 18, 2008, 09:46:23 PM

This has me thinking.   Dunn did alot for the black community, so I think he's likely more popular in the black community than Alstott.    I'm sure there were some white single mothers out there who could have used a house as well.    Alstott did just as much or more for the white community as Dunn did.    It's a shame it has to be a black vs. white deal.   But here we are...

Don't give me that "not retained" stuff.   Dunn pulled a Hardy Nickerson.   Both of them would have been retained but due to salary cap constraints at the time, they could get more money elsewhere.   It's all about the money for those guys, so they left.    They both could have stayed with the Bucs for less money.     

I don't believe your arguement that Alstott couldn't have gotten the same or more money if he had hit free agency back in his prime like Dunn did.   Sure at the end of his career, he couldn't have left for more.   But in his prime,he was highly regarded - and rightly so.

I'm a huge Dunn fan.   I've met him in person many times.   He's a nice guy and a helluva player.   But he's nowhere near the "Buc" player that Alstott was in my opinion.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 18, 2008, 09:50:27 PM

This has me thinking.   Dunn did alot for the black community, so I think he's likely more popular in the black community than Alstott.    I'm sure there were some white single mothers out there who could have used a house as well.    Alstott did just as much or more for the white community as Dunn did.    It's a shame it has to be a black vs. white deal.   But here we are...

Don't give me that "not retained" stuff.   Dunn pulled a Hardy Nickerson.   Both of them would have been retained but due to salary cap constraints at the time, they could get more money elsewhere.   It's all about the money for those guys, so they left.    They both could have stayed with the Bucs for less money.     

I don't believe your arguement that Alstott couldn't have gotten the same or more money if he had hit free agency back in his prime like Dunn did.   Sure at the end of his career, he couldn't have left for more.   But in his prime,he was highly regarded - and rightly so.

I'm a huge Dunn fan.   I've met him in person many times.   He's a nice guy and a helluva player.   But he's nowhere near the "Buc" player that Alstott was in my opinion.

What Great things has Alstott done for the community?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 18, 2008, 09:53:46 PM

Alstott has had various charity events.       

It's not the off the field things that are the main factor though.   It's his demeanor, loyalty to the team, and style of play that has endeared him to the fans.

I was actually just as big a Dunn fan as an Alstott fan until Dunn bolted.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 18, 2008, 10:02:27 PM

Any as big as Dunn's homes for Single Mothers?

As far as demeanor, what did Dunn ever do wrong?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 18, 2008, 10:05:55 PM

Forget demeanor.   Dunn was not loyal to the team.   He bolted.  End of story. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 18, 2008, 10:06:51 PM

He made a smart business decision that Alstott would have also if he were given the opportunity....but he wasn't because he was not worth nearly as much to any other team as here.....

#41 : May 18, 2008, 10:07:48 PM

Dunn was not loyal to the team. He bolted. End of story.

LMAO!!!!!!

He made a smart business decision that Alstott would have also if he were given the opportunity....but he wasn't because he was not worth nearly as much to any other team as here.....

Agreed and agreed!!!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 18, 2008, 10:10:03 PM

I don't agree.   I think Alstott would have taken less money to be in Tampa.   As a matter of fact, he did.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 18, 2008, 10:13:32 PM

I loved Dunn....until about 2 years after he left the team, out of the blue, he said the Bucs betrayed him and insulted him with their offer when they tried to re-sign him.

He lost me when he said that...and I am a Seminole since I went there in the early 60's and had 2 classes with Fred Biletnikoff and one with Steve Tensi.

He KNEW we had cap problems and that contributed to the amount of our offer.  Also, the amount the Falcons gave him was out of sight at the time.

Now he comes back AFTER he gets CUT by the Falcons.

.....just my opinion

#44 : May 18, 2008, 10:20:19 PM

I loved Dunn....until about 2 years after he left the team, out of the blue, he said the Bucs betrayed him and insulted him with their offer when they tried to re-sign him.

Maybe they did.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Underrated on the Bucs.. Overrated... by fans and media.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools