Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Gruden laying the groundwork for drafting his franchise QB at #3? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« : December 12, 2006, 03:57:55 PM »

So...

With Coach's comments regarding the need for a dominating quarterback in Tampa, he may be laying the groundwork for his plan to draft a QB at #3 overall. Or, knowing how he can lay down the smokescreens before the draft (see Mike Williams) is Gruden instead trying to start teams thinking about what the Bucs will be doing at #3 overall in an effort to engineer an advantageous trade come draft day? Or maybe he wants sneak out a little misinformation to force someone who needs a QB to trade up to #2 or #1 so that more of the other position players he wants will be there at #3?

Ah, it's interesting to think about.

Frankly I imagine my opinion will change from day to day, but I really think that at this point, Gruden feels his job is secure (at least through next season) and he really is thinking long and hard about taking a QB at #3. I think he considers the possibility of signing a FA like Garcia, re-signing Simms to a reasonable short-term contract, keeping Gradkowski and drafting himself a prototype he can prepare to start after a year or two in the system.

If that happens the Bucs could start Garcia, keep Grads as the backup, groom a rookie QB, and trade Simms to a team in need of a QB for perhaps a third or fourth round pick.

Oh well, my mind is mulling the possibilities...

« #1 : December 12, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »

football is fun isn't it?

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #2 : December 12, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »

gruden's job is on the line next year, he really can't afford to think too far beyond that....seems these days if you draft a QB in the top 10, there's immediate pressure to start him as a rookie. it's a situation that's sunk the broncos this year, and that's not what a coach who needs to make the playoffs needs to be dealing with

« #3 : December 12, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »

gruden's job is on the line next year, he really can't afford to think too far beyond that....seems these days if you draft a QB in the top 10, there's immediate pressure to start him as a rookie. it's a situation that's sunk the broncos this year, and that's not what a coach who needs to make the playoffs needs to be dealing with
on the other hand it rejuvanized the Titans.

BuccoJD

Starter

« #4 : December 12, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »

Yep you hit the nail on the head...pre-draf talk is all about posturing...Gruden can't afford to draft a QB at #3. Simms can be productive, and we have some pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball.

He has to know that we need to trade down, and making a team thats high on Brady Quinn think we might take him, will trigger that trade.

« #5 : December 12, 2006, 04:19:22 PM »

Speculation is great!!!

Booger

Starter

« #6 : December 12, 2006, 04:19:29 PM »

The consensus seems to be that Gruden can't afford to take a QB in round 1, as he will need 2 to 3 years to develop.  I think that the opposite is true.  I think that Gruden can't afford not to take a QB in round 1.  The thought of Gruden mentoring a top 3 talent at QB makes us all salivate, and you have to think that the Glazers feel the same way.  His job may become more secure if the belief is that he needs 2 to 3 years to develop the "franchise QB".

I am in full support of taking Quinn or Russell in the first round.  At this point, Russell may not be a top 5 talent, but if Gruden likes him enough, why not take him?  Obviously trading down would also make sense in that situation.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 12, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

i don't think there's any pressure to win in tennessee this year, it was clearly a rebuilding year, indicated by the fact that the titans dumped mcnair AND volek and started the season with a guy who lost his job starting for one of the worst teams in the NFL last year (collins)

i'm not saying it will or won't work out, i'm just saying that gruden can't afford to think about who's going to be starting in tampa in 2008, since he may not be here to reap the benefit. 

QBs historically don't provide a return in their rookie year to the tune of deep playoff runs - for every vince young & roethlisberger rookie year, there's 5 guys (including the likes of mcnabb, peytoneli manning, and carson palmer) who might show promise but won't win you ballgames as rookies.  there's also alot of ryan leaf or akili smith-type horror shows that will do far worse for a coach.

gruden's first priority is putting a winning team on the field in '07, and that means he needs to gun for an impact rookie with our top 5 pick along the lines of cadillac williams who can provide a spark to your team starting in May.  a season that goes the way gruden needs it to probably won't involve brady quinn starting with gradkowski backing him up (if the vet. QB gets benched, he won't see the field again as a buc, a la brad johnson, and if he's hurt that's the depth chart by default)

having a rookie and gradkowski behind your veteran puts us in the same bind we're in this year, which everyone now acknowledges as a huge mistake for a team with playoff aspirations.  and having a rook and a 1st-year guy in the fold drains the resources of a coaching staff that will already have its hands full trying to turn around a #32 offense.

i think next year will involve 2 guys (one of whom may be simms) with at least 3 years' experience running a WCO.  there's no room for gambling at the QB position, since gruden's gameplan lives and dies with that player.

i can see us posturing like we did when alex smith was the NFL's darling, but i can't see us ultimately making the pick

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 12, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »

Or, knowing how he can lay down the smokescreens before the draft (see Mike Williams) is Gruden instead trying to start teams thinking about what the Bucs will be doing at #3 overall in an effort to engineer an advantageous trade come draft day?

This is what I'm hoping

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #9 : December 12, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »

Or, knowing how he can lay down the smokescreens before the draft (see Mike Williams) is Gruden instead trying to start teams thinking about what the Bucs will be doing at #3 overall in an effort to engineer an advantageous trade come draft day?

This is what I'm hoping

that's what every team does, though grudenallen seem to enjoy it more than most.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #10 : December 12, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »

Gruden's best chance for job security is to convince the Glazers to take a franchise QB and let him coach that player to perennial Pro Bowl status.

Here is the best summary I've seen of the choices:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89354

I have to give my 2 cents on JaMarcus Russell. I have been able to watch him several times this year and he reminds me of two quarterbacks currently in the NFL. One one hand his physical skill set reminds me of Daunte Culpepper, with Russell probably having a stronger arm with less mobility than Culpepper. Also, he reminds me alot of Byron Leftwich. Leftwich was a leader that teammates rallied around. I think Russell has the same quality. He just knows how to win games. Plus, this year he has shown an ability to make smart decisions and has made a definite improvement in reading defenses. Another thing to consider is the talent level Russell has played against.

In comparison with Brady Quinn and Brian Brohm, I would say when you consider all things, Russell is the better prospect. I personally think Brady Quinn is overrated (which goes for Notre Dame as a football team too). He is a rythm quarterback that relies on plenty of protection time in the pocket to make throws. When protection breaks down, he gets rattled and quickly loses his rythmn, and I think to a certain extent, his composure. I thought it was very telling when an announcer made a comment about USC being one of the fastest defenses Brady has faced in the past 5 weeks, and that is a telling point when you consider the talent level Notre Dame plays against every year. Combine that with Quinn’s performance against Michigan and USC (and also Michigan State for most of the game) and I have serious concerns that the level of competition Quinn plays against definitely has an impact on his statistics.

Brohm throws a very catchable ball and has shown the ability to make all of the throws necessary to be an NFL quarterback. But I question his leadership abilities…his ability to rally a team to victory, and he seems to get rattled easily much like Brady. I just think when you compare not only physical skills, but also intangibles, Russell gets the highest grade out of the top three quarterbacks that could potentially be available in 2007. Some could even argue that Troy Smith is a better QB prospect than Quinn. I personally believe Quinn benefits tremendously from the Notre Dame PR machine. I was wondering what everyone thought about ranking the top QBs. I think Russell has the potential to do better on a weaker team than Quinn or Brohm. If you were a GM, who would you build your franchise around?

#1 JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (Junior)
#2 Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State
#3 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
#4 Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 12, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »

Here is what I see...We take Gaines Adams or Joe Thomas. I'm pulling for Thomas because there are DE's in FA that we could get and we could address the DE in the 2nd or even 3rd. Then after we pick, say Joe Thomas, we watch to see where Russell, Brohm and Smith are going and I see us making a move to get another 1st round pick and we will ge one of those QB's. That is how I see it playing out. I know I want defense too but we could make a move by packaging picks or by packaging a player and a pick (Rice and a 3rd or 4th). I really see us bringing in 2 studs via FA, 2 guys I want would be Clements and Briggs or Briggs and a DE.

Baghead #2

BuccoJD

Starter

« #12 : December 12, 2006, 04:30:09 PM »

I've seen Jamarcus play a decent amount this year, and he lacks consistency

This is how I list the QBs.
1) Troy Smith - guy would be perfect for the west coast offense
2) Jamarcus Russel - best athletic QB in the draft
3) Brady Quinn - He's played horrible against good opponents, only tears up the weak teams. But that being said he's got a big arm and he's tall, so he's deffinately go some potential.
4) Brohm - not coming out unless he has a huge Bowl game

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 12, 2006, 04:34:56 PM »

Gruden's job isn't on the line next year. His job is to show improvment, not make the playoffs. Don't get it twisted. Why is hard for some of you to realize that the owners are not emotional women like yourself? Gruden's job is to show improvement and progress, not make the playoffs.

T

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 12, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »

The Bucs will be drafting a Franchise QB I just don't think Gruden will be here long enough to enjoy his success.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Gruden laying the groundwork for drafting his franchise QB at #3? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools