Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: December 12, 2006, 08:16:07 PM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: JaMarcus Russell, Quarterback, Louisiana State University.

That's the way I'm thinking the wind is blowing right now. It will most likely change direction (several times) before draft day, but I feel like Gruden would have loved to have had Donovan McNabb (hell, I *know* he would) and Dante Culpepper in his prime, and he very probably coveted Vince Young.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 12, 2006, 08:21:11 PM

I'd not be shocked. This last week when he seems like he finally lost it a bit at his PC he went on about two things
1) The OL
2) QB

Like I said elsewhere, last time he really lost it he was talking about an rB and lo and behold we went and got one. Now QB and OL look to be his jones.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

shall555

Starter

#2 : December 12, 2006, 08:22:06 PM

If Gruden gets 2007 and 2008. The chance of Russell would be very high. Maybe the Glazers prod Gruden to draft a franchise QB?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 12, 2006, 08:24:54 PM

Is it confirmed Russell is coming out?  Frankly if he was available I could not be surprised at Gruden and Allen selecting him.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 12, 2006, 08:26:12 PM

No, not confirmed he's coming out, but I'd be shocked if he didn't. BTW, here's a nice read on him:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2006-09-13-jamarcus-russell_x.htm

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#5 : December 12, 2006, 08:29:47 PM

Agree 100% DTG.  Assuming LSU whips Notre Dame and JaMarcus has another solid to spectacular performance, it will come down to the combine.  I'm guessing he beats VY by quite a bit on the wonderlic and he will wow at the combine.  The guy can throw the ball 100 yards for gosh sakes.

By the time the dust settles he will go as high as Young did.

One more interesting thing, Doug Williams just was extended in the Bucs FO and he will be very enthusiastic about taking a player who some call the new version of him.

http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061115/SPORTS0202/611150304

"It's not a great senior crop, and timing is everything," he said. "So many NFL teams are struggling at quarterback, and JaMarcus is the new millennium's version of Doug Williams with a better arm."

Williams was a 6-foot-4, 230-pound, strong-armed, mobile quarterback from Grambling who was the 17th overall pick in the 1978 draft and led the Washington Redskins to victory in the 1988 Super Bowl.

shall555

Starter

#6 : December 12, 2006, 08:45:35 PM

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Al Davis would love nothing more than to stick it to us. What better way to do it than to steal a QB we covet? He's got a stronger arm than Quinn and could match up with Moss. I don't think Moss is going anywhere. Tim Brown used to talk a lot of crap and publicly rip Al Davis, but they kept him anyway. Al loves this kind of player. He might even take notice on how much of an impact Vince Young is making and decide he wants his own Vince Young. The draft could then play out like this-

#1 JaMarcus Russell QB
#2 Brady Quinn QB
#3 Whoever is left.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 12, 2006, 08:52:41 PM

I could suffer through being forced to take Thomas quite easily.  LOL.  Russell is not yet confirmed as coming out, but he is the only one I could see taking before Thomas, and that like I said is just bc it's Gruden and Allen.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#8 : December 12, 2006, 08:58:59 PM

As a Gradkowski guy, I wasn't really in the QB in the first group as I thought with a more improved O-line next year and a year under him, Gradkowski might do a Romo impersonation. There was also the idea that outside of Quinn, there was no QB worth the top 5. But now im warming up on the idea of a QB with the third overall and if its Russell, then I woudn't have any problem with it whatsoever.

shall555

Starter

#9 : December 12, 2006, 09:05:35 PM

As a Gradkowski guy, I wasn't really in the QB in the first group as I thought with a more improved O-line next year and a year under him, Gradkowski might do a Romo impersonation. There was also the idea that outside of Quinn, there was no QB worth the top 5. But now im warming up on the idea of a QB with the third overall and if its Russell, then I woudn't have any problem with it whatsoever.

Ditto. All we can hope for is for Brian Brohm to declare and push JaMarcus down. I still think the Raiders will take Russell. They need a QB more than we do, and if JaMarcus beats Brady and Notre Dame. We won't have a shot at him.

If he can throw the ball 100 yards, like naplesbuc posted. We don't have a chance. Al loves guys with rocket arms to play his antiquated offense. All we can do is lose out. LOL.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 12, 2006, 09:10:40 PM

I still say we need a draft like we had in 1995 when we got Sapp and Brooks in the same year, this defense needs some huge playmakers..   I think the offense with the right QB and another WR will put enough points up.. I say go back to Bucball and get Monte, everything he needs and then some....
BK comes back also in the equation..

So the best DE DT S...OLB

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 12, 2006, 09:16:19 PM

I still say we need a draft like we had in 1995 when we got Sapp and Brooks in the same year, this defense needs some huge playmakers..   I think the offense with the right QB and another WR will put enough points up.. I say go back to Bucball and get Monte, everything he needs and then some....

I think the Bucs plan to try and fill some defensive holes via FA.

watson

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 12, 2006, 09:33:50 PM

DTG,
As I've said before, the history on round 1 QBs winning the SB is not that good.  In my opinion the Bucs need to concentrate on getting the LOT and Defense shored up.  Doesn't look like much help in FA in regards to LOTs, but some help will be available for the defense.....DL. LB and DB.  I wanted Ganes Adams before, but getting Thomas in might be better in the long run.  I would also like to see them pull off a deal to get Tank Tyler with their second round pick, but that might be hard to do since it does not appear to be a deep DT draft. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 12, 2006, 09:39:07 PM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: JaMarcus Russell, Quarterback, Louisiana State University.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Russell since Rondebear pimped him, and I like what I read.  Most compare him to Daunte Culpepper, BUT with one of the strongest arms in football.

Problem is the two teams ahead of us might both go QB, so Quinn and Culpepper might be off the board.  Like others have said Joe Thomas isn't a bad consolation prize.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 12, 2006, 09:44:22 PM

So the best DE DT S...OLB

Our D is still a lot better than the O, and they have some players in the wings.  Winborn is only on the bench because DB is keeping him out.  Zemaitis should develop over time and Buchanon looks like he is ready to play some ball again.  If Rice sticks around and Kelly comes back 100% the defense only needs a couple of new players.  A safety and LB in free agency, plus a 2nd round DT in the draft should give Monte enough to get results next year.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools