Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

spartan

Hall of Famer
#45 : December 14, 2006, 04:28:02 PM

I would go for Thomas or Johnson. I don't advocate going for a QB and don't expect us to grab one. Here are my reasons:

1. It doesn't matter if you have a superstar QB, if your receivers can't catch the ball it doesn't matter how good you are.

2. If you are on your back it doesn't matter how good you are at passing.

3. Gruden doesn't have the luxury of breaking in a rookie QB next year.

4. As the last what? 5 Superbowls have shown, you don't need a superstar QB to win, just a good general who doesn't make (many) mistakes.

5. QB's drafted in the top 5 are horrendously expensive.

6. Unless you are really, really desperate or lucky, rookie QB's drafted in the top 5 are really expensive bench warmers.

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#46 : December 17, 2006, 08:37:00 AM

No way do the Bucs draft a QB or any offense with the first pick, that first pick (no matter where it is) will go to the defense, either a DT, an end or LB...my money is on the DT with a second round DE.

The Bucs are in a position to take the best available player regardless of position (minus RB). Are you saying that your money is on the Bucs taking Alan Branch 3rd overall?

Bucs won't pic Alan since he's an OT, I said my money was on the Bucs taking a DT with their first pick. Gruden can't afford another QB or any other offensive pick in the draft, he has to get this team back on track next season or it's his job. Basically he has zero time to develop another offensive player for his scheme.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#47 : December 17, 2006, 08:44:23 AM

1. It doesn't matter if you have a superstar QB, if your receivers can't catch the ball it doesn't matter how good you are.
2. If you are on your back it doesn't matter how good you are at passing.
3. Gruden doesn't have the luxury of breaking in a rookie QB next year.
4. As the last what? 5 Superbowls have shown, you don't need a superstar QB to win, just a good general who doesn't make (many) mistakes.
5. QB's drafted in the top 5 are horrendously expensive.
6. Unless you are really, really desperate or lucky, rookie QB's drafted in the top 5 are really expensive bench warmers.

1. Notice good QB's don't have bad WR's? Hmmmm....ponder Pinky.
2. True but you can protect Shaun King all day and he'll still suck.
3. The pick should be about the Bucs not Jon Gruden, if that is an issue, fire him.
4. I don't know, Tom Beady looks like a Superstar to me. Look at the teams always in contention over the last decade and they have something in common, great QB's by and large.
5. True but if you want a good QB where else you gonna get one?.
6. Long term gain, short term pain.

I don't think this'll matter but the logic for QB for us is really pretty darn good.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#48 : December 17, 2006, 08:53:46 AM

If you read Stroud's article in today's SP Times, Doug Williams' comments make it very unlikely the Bucs take a QB with their 1st round pick. 

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#49 : December 17, 2006, 10:19:06 AM

Defense wins championships. This D can be rebuilt and provide us with a competative team while the offense is improving.  Go D fist 2 picks and get some impact back on D. Then finish up on the O line and WR position.  DB's in FA round out a big improvement and back to the ranks of the respectable.

#50 : December 17, 2006, 10:42:20 AM

The one constant I think, in a contender, is having a field general (QB) who you will stick with for several years, not try-out sesssions, I know I know, injuries play apart but I dont believe Gruden would have stuck with Simms very long anyhow. We do not need a superstar just a consistant QB.

Orangegone1

Starter

#51 : December 17, 2006, 10:44:00 AM

How could you not agree that we need a QB. But taking Russell that early IMO would be a desperation move. I saw him play 2 or 3 times. Against the Gators he had 3 INT's. I don't think he is worthy of a top 10 pick. Also, if we tie with the Raiders for worst record, does the draft position go with strength of schedule or strength of division? Their division might be stronger thus an earlier pick for us. That 3rd or 4th position would be nice because I don't see a player in the first few picks that is a sure superstar and worth the money they will command.  I might be inclined to draft J.Thomas and sign Steinbach and re-sign Simms. I would think Simms would have a better feeling about staying here if the OL improvement is a priority.

#52 : December 17, 2006, 10:49:18 AM

Russell hasn't come out yet as far as I know, and I am hoping Ted Ginn Jr. does and that we take him and finally get an exciting speedy reciever with good hands.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools