Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have an inside track to the Senior Bowl « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
: December 13, 2006, 12:14:54 PM

Outside of Calvin Johnson, I think Joe Thomas is the least likely of the big 4 (that also includes Quinn and Adams) to go to Detroit. I can't see how they pass a QB now that they see what they missed in Leinart, but I'd also imagine that Marinelli would love a DE. It's not necessarily the weakest part of the team, but I'm sure that Marinelli could make an argument why he's the best player available.

In a normal world, I'd say that Thomas is more likely to go to Oakland, but I don't know that Al Davis is living in a normal world.

re: the Senior Bowl, I think in the past that teams have passed on coaching there. I thought that was what happened in 2005, but I may be wrong.

#1 : December 13, 2006, 12:01:27 PM

If its Detroit expect them to draft Calvin Johnson....

LOL...that would be funny.

Who else would they take?
Quinn

shall555

Starter

#2 : December 12, 2006, 09:55:04 PM

One of the great perks of having a losing record, is not only a high draft choice, but we've got a chance at coaching the Senior Bowl this year. Laugh all you want, but every time, the Bucs have coached the Senior Bowl, they ended up drafting 3 or 4 players. Look at what happened when we coached the Senior Bowl...

1999 - Drafted Shaun King, Booger McFarland, Martin Gramatica
1999 season result - 11-5 NFC Championship Game
Although, these picks eventually fizzled, they did contribute to a lot of victories.

2004 - Drafted Cadillac Williams, Anthony Bryant, Alex Smith, Dan Buenning, Barrett Ruud
2004 season result - 11-5 Division Championship

2007 - Could we end up 11-5 again?

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#3 : December 12, 2006, 09:57:40 PM

Detroit will be coaching the Senior Bowl. Detroit will be drafting Joe Thomas. Take both of these things off your wish list.

#4 : December 12, 2006, 10:01:59 PM

Detroit is ran by Matt Millen....take all smart things off of their list.

#5 : December 12, 2006, 10:16:07 PM

Detroit will be coaching the Senior Bowl. Detroit will be drafting Joe Thomas. Take both of these things off your wish list.

is this fact?

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#6 : December 12, 2006, 10:18:47 PM

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 12, 2006, 10:20:25 PM

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 12, 2006, 10:45:07 PM

Who else would they take?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 13, 2006, 09:29:37 AM

They can't take Calvin from a PR standpoint they'd get killed.

The NFL picks the Senior Bowl staffs so the worst teams usually get to go BUT they won't select a staff that might be in jeopardy so the Lions staff might get by passed for that honor, same with OAK.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Booger

Second String

#10 : December 13, 2006, 10:38:10 AM

Not likely with Jeff Backus signed long term.  I would look for Marinelli to take Adams, or the new coaching staff to take a QB.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#11 : December 13, 2006, 12:39:39 PM

My understanding is that the decision relies solely with the team on whether they want to or not; it is their option to turn down the invitation, but they are invited on a worst record first basis, NFC for one side and AFC for the other.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#12 : December 13, 2006, 12:57:07 PM

The NFC and AFC teams with the worse record and a returning coaching staff are invited fist. Marinelli was part of the Buccaneer staff their on two occasions. He knows how valuable it can be, and would not turn it down.

Calvin Johnson is not a senior, and therefore will not be playing at the Senior bowl. As another poster said, no way the Lions could draft him anyway. Even if they wanted to it would be a PR disaster. As far as drafting a QB, we have all discussed the fact that there is no one QB in this draft who really demands to be drafted that high. Plus Martz has a background developing unheralded QB's in Warner and Bulger. They could go defensive line with Adams, but they already do have some recent high draft picks on their D-Line now. Martz was with the Rams when they draft Pace 1st overall, I think both he and Rod will see that type of potential in Thomas.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 13, 2006, 01:13:30 PM

millen might be fired in the offseason, i wouldn't be surprised to see martz get another HC gig - if these things happen, it'll be tough for the lions to coordinate a trip to the senior bowl

shall555

Starter

#14 : December 13, 2006, 02:27:33 PM

re: the Senior Bowl, I think in the past that teams have passed on coaching there. I thought that was what happened in 2005, but I may be wrong.

The Bears and 49ers passed on coaching the Senior Bowl, which is how we got it.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have an inside track to the Senior Bowl « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools