Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: franchise tag on Garcia for 2009 season « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : May 27, 2008, 12:03:35 PM

franchise tag on QB Jeff Garcia for the 2009 season

Exactly!

That Stroud guy needs to do more research before spitting stuff like this out. You'd have to be wacky to think FO would pay more than they have to, in ANY situation. Stroud CAN'T be from Tampa area (it says st pete times, but what about him?).....or he would've known THAT little detail about the Bucs bargaining strategies! It's completely possible, but HIGHLY unlikely.

Besides, wouldn't the franchise tag be better used for other players here in Tampa? Bussiness-wise, I'm not sure who best would fit the franchise tag description. Maybe someone can give me a idea on who could be franchised? Imo, that would be a waste on Garcia this year.

Research?  Research has nothing to do with it.  The idea is absurd on it's face. 

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#16 : May 27, 2008, 12:13:59 PM

I think Bruce should make him play out his current contract.  If he becomes a FA in 09, so what.  Let the market set his price.  There will be no bidding war on a 40 yo QB.  There might be a team or 2 that might want to sign his as a back-up but only the Bucs would be interested to make him a starter.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 27, 2008, 12:23:08 PM

I thought we were saving the Franchise tag for Alstott.

Brando

Second String

#18 : May 27, 2008, 12:28:48 PM

Way too much money for him.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad Jeff is here.  I do think a raise is in order this year..maybe up to 4-5 million.  With the team we are building, Jeff would be crazy to leave here.  Pay him this year and let's see the interst in him next off season.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 27, 2008, 01:18:43 PM

franchise tag on QB Jeff Garcia for the 2009 season

Exactly!

Maybe someone can give me a idea on who could be franchised? Imo, that would be a waste on Garcia this year.

Any player could be given the franchise tag if they are an impending free agent. It would not be used on Garcia for this year because he has a contract and the deadline is way passsed anyway.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#20 : May 27, 2008, 06:54:46 PM

I find it rather strange we would put the tag on an old quarterback even if his production numbers are not as high as deserving. I would like to see Josh Johnson get into the action a little but thats years to come. Hopefully the Bucs can go into TC without Garcia not getting a new contract and not having another "Simeon Rice" moment with the Media. I still crack up every time I watch that video of Ira Cummings. "Break the Sack Record" Haha.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 27, 2008, 09:54:55 PM

Im a huge GARCIA fan..but yeah that would be the dumbest idea ever.  Just extend him a year... 

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 28, 2008, 12:13:25 AM

I wouldn't extend him a year unless 2009 was for a backup qb's salary with incentives to pay him if he was still able to start and produce.

I believe he will be completely done as a starter after 2008.

.....just my opinion

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#23 : May 28, 2008, 12:28:53 AM

That would be stupid!  Garcia is alleged to be seeking a deal worth $7mil per year, so we would pay him the $2mil plus LTBE incetivest plus $12 mil next year which is in essence what he wants.  That is not logical.  Why wouldn't the Bucs just give him a 2 year 14 mil contract then?   I know Garcia is probably seeking more years, but given his age I think he would be happy with that.  I would be comfortable with that for the Bucs too.  Realistically, Garcia has maybe a 2 year window as a starter barring injury. 

escobar

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 28, 2008, 01:02:14 AM

So Dr. Stroud says thinks the Bucs would pay him in the top 5 of all QB's in league instead of giving him a few million dollar raise?

Dr. Stroud needs to have his head examined. Bruce wouldn't pull that move in a million years.

Exactly. Let's not give him a few million more per year to make him happy, let's franchise him and REALLY show him by giving him more money than even he was going to ask for. Seriously why must the local coverage be so terrible regarding the Bucs. Who the hell is in charge of keeping these guys around? If I was a better writer I would seriously consider sports writing as a profession, how can anyone do worse than these guys? Helen Keller could put out better work than Stroud.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 28, 2008, 04:17:35 AM

Stroud's playing it both ways: if a fan wants to keep Garcia, he might be mad that the guy isn't kept when we have the money. But if the person is savvy to the cap, they might be angry at the idea of paying the geezer anywhere near tag amount.
Remember Stroud's agenda: irritate, turn the fans against the organization, make players unliked, driving popularity down. His bosses obviously don't care what he writes and so let him abuse the Constitution of the United States. We all defend the right to be free and the freedom of speech that goes with it.
So we must also say, ''Stroud, you idiot. Shut up. You won't undermine us, clown.''

In Verner We Trust

HughC

Pro Bowler

#26 : May 28, 2008, 11:04:06 AM

Thank you Rick Stroud, for reminding me why I come here for my information on the Bucs, rather than relying on the St Pete Times.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#27 : May 28, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

Unfriggenbelievable!!!!

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 28, 2008, 11:11:27 AM

Unfriggenbelievable!!!!

everything you post is funny.. not because of the post.. but because of the jc510 quote!  great moment of history captured!
that is hilarious!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 28, 2008, 09:23:53 PM

If I didn't see the name Rick Stroud I would have been shocked by how stupid an idea this would be. But given the source....wow, that is still the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

12 million for a...38/39 year old QB?

Agree with that 100%.  He and Cummings could have a stupid contest - and I am thinking extra time would be required to determine the loser...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: franchise tag on Garcia for 2009 season « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools