Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Intersting Theory « previous next »
Page: 1 2

buckit

Hall of Famer

: December 15, 2006, 01:10:43 AM

I've heard a lot of talk from former HC's that have stepped down, citing that they simply could not be good at both.  Take an OC for example.  The OC only thinks one or two plays in advance, while the HC has to manage the entirety of the game.  More and more HC's are stepping down to go back to what their good at....what do you think the chances are of Gruden following suit...and would it make a difference?

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : December 15, 2006, 01:19:25 AM

Doing it himself? 0-none. But I think the Glazers tell him some changes have to be made. Remains to be seen if he accepts having an OC other than in name only.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 15, 2006, 08:11:18 AM

It would make a difference in my opinion and offer a change of pace on offense.  It is up to Gruden though.

#3 : December 15, 2006, 08:48:53 AM

I've heard a lot of talk from former HC's that have stepped down, citing that they simply could not be good at both.  Take an OC for example.  The OC only thinks one or two plays in advance, while the HC has to manage the entirety of the game.  More and more HC's are stepping down to go back to what their good at....what do you think the chances are of Gruden following suit...and would it make a difference?

I don't think that the issue is his calling plays.  It's more the fact that he is managing personnel as well.  I think Gruden's playcalling is good.

And it would look alot better if the players were executing the plays.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 15, 2006, 08:58:47 AM

The OC only thinks one or two plays in advance, while the HC has to manage the entirety of the game.

That's really not true at all. And Gruden involves his OC in the process a lot more than you think he does. Many coaches can't handle HC and coordinator positions because they don't have the time. Gruden makes the time. And as far as playcalling goes, that's unlikely to change. It doesn't require much expenditure of energy or division of attention to accomplish.

Now, if the players would execute the plays that are called (as Beniro aptly stated) then who is calling the plays wouldn't be a question.

#5 : December 15, 2006, 12:10:35 PM

Paul Hackett will be promoted to OC this offseason. (I have no inside info just a thought)

#6 : December 15, 2006, 02:23:25 PM

Paul Hackett will be promoted to OC this offseason. (I have no inside info just a thought)
OMG INSIDE INFO!!!

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 15, 2006, 05:55:05 PM

Doing it himself? 0-none. But I think the Glazers tell him some changes have to be made. Remains to be seen if he accepts having an OC other than in name only.
Callahan called the plays in Oakland when Gru was head coach there.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 15, 2006, 06:31:46 PM

I've heard a lot of talk from former HC's that have stepped down, citing that they simply could not be good at both. Take an OC for example. The OC only thinks one or two plays in advance, while the HC has to manage the entirety of the game. More and more HC's are stepping down to go back to what their good at....what do you think the chances are of Gruden following suit...and would it make a difference?

I haven't heard that combo - do you remember who was being referenced?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 15, 2006, 07:21:35 PM

What is Gruden if he isn't calling the plays?  He is here for his offense. You gotta dance with the girl that brung ya.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#10 : December 15, 2006, 09:53:31 PM

In that vein, they are stepping on each other's toes.

bucmebaby

Starter

#11 : December 15, 2006, 10:40:18 PM

For one thing Gruden as 'Head Coach' doesn't have to spend much if any time on Defense, so about 35% of most HC's jobs don't apply to Gruden. Being as he works 18 hours a day, he should have plenty of time for Offense and STs.

"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires to help you achieve it." Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

gone

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 16, 2006, 01:12:01 AM

I've heard a lot of talk from former HC's that have stepped down, citing that they simply could not be good at both.  Take an OC for example. The OC only thinks one or two plays in advance, while the HC has to manage the entirety of the game. More and more HC's are stepping down to go back to what their good at....what do you think the chances are of Gruden following suit...and would it make a difference?
Actually it was a reference to a HC/OC giving up the playcalling duties, not the HC stepping down.  Coach of the Rams I believe, and that is exactly why he said he stepped gave up the playcalling.  I have no idea where the "head coach stepping down" part comes in.  I haven't heard of anyone doing that.  I can't think of any HC's that "stepped dow" to an OC position voluntarily.  Please give an example?
On the other hand, Billick improved his Offense by calling the plays himself and firing his OC. 
On the other other hand, Denny Green's O hasn't improved after he fired his OC.

Very situational, and no  way it's happening here, but I would still like an example of what you're talking about.

#13 : December 16, 2006, 12:42:10 PM

"I don't think that the issue is his calling plays. It's more the fact that he is managing personnel as well. I think Gruden's playcalling is good."

WHAT? HUH?   ................................ OK, I give? what is it then? Tell me you cant predict what is gonna be called at least 60% of the time, and better yet is it what you "think should have been called"?

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 16, 2006, 08:55:26 PM

"I don't think that the issue is his calling plays. It's more the fact that he is managing personnel as well. I think Gruden's playcalling is good."

WHAT? HUH?   ................................ OK, I give? what is it then? Tell me you cant predict what is gonna be called at least 60% of the time, and better yet is it what you "think should have been called"?
You obviously don't watch the games.  The problem isn't playcalling, it's execution.  On pass plays there are guys open most of the time, but we can't hit them.  On run plays we get jack for push.  It comes to a poorly performing O-line and a rookie QB.  Plus some bad drops but those happen all over, so they are less relevant.  There's plenty to criticize in the coaching of the players, but the playcalling hasn't been a big issue.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Intersting Theory « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools