Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Court tries to get a rapist and killer of 2 teens girls off death row!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LFO

Hall of Famer

: July 16, 2008, 09:59:09 PM

LFO - dude, let it go please. 

Let what go?

The article is about someone in a position of power trying to get leniency for a sicko, which reminded me of a similar case.  I will never let it go, as it is disgusting IMO. 

Deal with it.  If you don't like it, don't read it.

filmfx66

Rookie

#1 : July 16, 2008, 11:50:44 AM

I will never understand the people who defend these animals who prey on and kill such innocent lives. This "man" should of been left in a locked room with the fathers of these two girls, alone, tied up and no questions asked.

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The World Court ordered the United States on Wednesday to do all it could to halt the imminent executions of five Mexicans until the court makes a final judgment in a dispute over suspects' rights.

The row, which has strained relations between the two neighbors, centers on Mexico's accusation that the United States failed to inform 51 of its citizens sentenced to die in U.S. jails of their right to consular assistance.

One of the five Mexicans on death row, Jose Medellin, is due to die on August 5 in Texas, while the others also face imminent execution.

In 2004, the World Court ruled in favor of Mexico, finding the United States had violated international law, and ordered it to review the 51 cases to see whether the lack of consular assistance had prejudiced the outcome of their trials.

A year later, U.S. President George W. Bush ordered Texas to review Medellin's case but the U.S. Supreme Court then ruled in March that Bush had no authority to do so, leading Texas to schedule Medellin's execution for August.

"The court indicates that the United States of America shall take all measures necessary to ensure that five Mexican nationals are not executed pending its final judgment," Judge Rosalyn Higgins said.

Mexico has asked the World Court or International Court of Justice (ICJ) for an interpretation of its 2004 ruling, given U.S. claims that its federal states have a large degree of autonomy in criminal justice and can act independently.

Mexico opposes the U.S. death penalty.

A gang member, Medellin was denied the right to meet with a consular official from Mexico after his arrest for the June 1993 rape and murder of two teenage girls in Houston. The killings were linked to a gang initiation.

Under the Vienna Convention, foreign nationals have a right to talk to consular officers after their arrests.

Texas has said Medellin was never told he could talk to Mexican officials. But it has argued that the claim cannot be made now because he never raised it at trial or sentencing.

Even if his treaty rights had been violated, it would not have made any difference in the outcome of the case, Texas said.

The ICJ is responsible for handling disputes between U.N. member states. Its rulings -- which often take years -- are binding and not subject to appeal.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 16, 2008, 11:54:00 AM

It sickens me that our President was swayed by a World Court decision.  America's sovereignty is waning.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 16, 2008, 11:56:26 AM

This "man" should of been left in a locked room with the fathers of these two girls, alone, tied up and no questions asked.

And give those fathers each a pair of pliers to pull the guys skin off his body until he dies a slow and painful death.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 16, 2008, 09:42:44 PM

If the guys are guilty I have Beretta and plenty of Ammo.  Available Mondays through Fridays, just give me a few hours notice.

In all fairness the US tends to protect its citizens that get in trouble abroad.  For instance IF you get caught trafficking drugs in Thailand it carries a life in prison sentence.  Most foreigners get stuck in a Thai prison for a very long time BUT the US flexes its muscles and gets its citizens moved to a US prison, where they serve much shorter sentences. 

The only time your citizenship really means much is when you are in trouble on foreign soil.  I don't really have a problem with the Mexican authorities trying to do the right thing for their own, so long as they dudes get executed in the end.

#5 : July 16, 2008, 09:35:48 PM

LFO - dude, let it go please. 

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 16, 2008, 04:20:21 PM

Since when did the world start telling the United States what to do?

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#7 : July 16, 2008, 04:26:47 PM

It would be a cold day in hell if I was president before I would let any other nation tell the United States what it should do. America does not bow down to anybody. Its a shame to think America can be told like a 3 year old what to do with this trash.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

#8 : July 16, 2008, 04:42:44 PM

#1 - Does anyone think that President Bush actually thought he had the right to dictate to Texas what to do?  This was an act to appease the World court, nothing more.

#2 - Does this "Consular right" extend to illegals as well as legal immmigrants?  If so, then I assume the consular is there to inform the accused what their rights are as a foreign national. I see nothing wrong with allowing this right and I agree that the consular visit probably would not have changed the outcome. Unfortunately, details smaller than this have caused convictions to be thrown out and a new trial requested.

#3 - America can not dabble in everyone else's humanitarian affairs around the world and not think we will be treated the same way. Autonomy only works if you keep to yourself, which we do not. For those who think America stands alone and answers to no one, check out NATO, the United Nations, the World Bank and the World Court to name the first four off the top of my head.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 16, 2008, 05:12:19 PM

I agree. And that is why America's image is in decline internationally. The world looks at America as hypocrites. We go and tell other governments what they can and cant do yet we dont like it when another government tries to tell us what to do.

Its funny we claim to be a leader on human rights. Only China executes more people than we do and we have the largest prison population in the world.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 16, 2008, 06:28:24 PM

cyberdude - if one were to consider executions - both the "legal" and "illegal" the US is far from the top.  Watching genocide take place throughout Africa, and in parts of Asia, as well as the middle east - well I do see you point - but imvho it is overstated by whatever reporting service or organization you got that from.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#11 : July 16, 2008, 06:49:03 PM

This "man" should of been left in a locked room with the fathers of these two girls, alone, tied up and no questions asked.

And give those fathers each a pair of pliers to pull the guys skin off his body until he dies a slow and painful death.

Yeah, whenever anyone commits a detestable, heinous act, we should all lower ourselves to their level. The world would be a much better place.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 16, 2008, 06:53:41 PM

An eye for an eye!

#13 : July 16, 2008, 07:00:27 PM

An eye for an eye!

Ah, so you wanna get biblical, do you?

"Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord."

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 16, 2008, 06:59:57 PM

A father whose son was raped by a man in New Orleans a few years back.  I believe the convicted rapist also killed the child - but of that I am uncertain.  While the rapist was being taken from New Orleans to be tried for another such crime in a different locale the father interceded and shot the rapist between the eyes, in the middle of the airport as I recall.

While I would never condone such an act, I can understand it.  While I would not agree with either Java's nor filmfx66's resolution, I understand the outrage.

What is the answer for you Illuminator - when a person commits a detestable, heinous act?  Is their retribution involved?  Is it an eye for an eye?  When does punishment replace rehabilitation.  

I wish I knew - I wish I had the answer.  But I can't forgive folks who rape or hurt kids, nor women, nor men.  I try - I have not done well with it.  

What is the answer?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Court tries to get a rapist and killer of 2 teens girls off death row!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools