Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: August 21, 2008, 01:49:46 PM

We like to talk about franchise QB's and the Bucs lack of one. But I was wondering: going into the 2008 season, which of the 32 teams in the NFL has a guy lining up behind center this year that you WOULD consider a clear-cut franchise QB?

I'm curious as to how many teams in the league right now have that guy...

#1 : August 21, 2008, 01:51:36 PM

Ok, DTG...

This is like the thread with the word "elite" in it...

Please define "clear cut" for all of loyal posters...

Tks.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 21, 2008, 01:52:53 PM

Radio hosts talked about this yesterday. Went team-by-team and only ended up with about 4 QBs that everyone agreed are solid franchise QBs.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 21, 2008, 01:53:36 PM

"Clear cut" meaning the 2008 starter looks like a franchise QB who can carry the team and appears that he will be entrenched as that, barring injury.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 21, 2008, 01:53:57 PM

I guess I'd consider Brady, Manning, Palmer, Romo, McNabb, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Gerrard, Campball, Favre, Hassellbeck, Rivers, Cutler....missing anyone?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 21, 2008, 01:54:26 PM

Radio hosts talked about this yesterday. Went team-by-team and only ended up with about 4 QBs that everyone agreed are solid franchise QBs.

That's what I get for not listening to sports radio.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 21, 2008, 01:54:31 PM

Payton Manning and Tom Brady.    That's it.    Maaaaaaaaaaybe Carson Palmer and Eli Manning.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#7 : August 21, 2008, 01:54:55 PM

1.  Brady
2.  Manning
3.  Rothlisburger
4.  Garrard
5.   Palmer
6.  Rivers?
7.  McNabb
8.  Romo
9.  E. Manning
10. Brees
11. Hassleback

#8 : August 21, 2008, 01:58:03 PM

1.  Brady
2.  Manning
4.  Garrard
5.  Palmer
8.  Romo
9.  E. Manning
10. Brees

Took out the ones I didn't like or would be able to carry the team... and ones who I expect not to complete the full 16 game regular season.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#9 : August 21, 2008, 02:00:26 PM

Brady, P. Manning, Rothlisburger, Palmer, Hassleback.

Would say McNabb but it seems like he's on his way out of Philly.

A lot of teams have serviceable QBs or talented young guys who might develop into a franchise QB. Those are the five I can see leading their respective teams to success for a decade +

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Madman

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 21, 2008, 02:03:13 PM

I see a dozen...

1.  Brady
2.  Manning
3.  Romo
4.  E. Manning
5.  McNabb
6.  Rothlisberger
7.  Palmer
8.  Brees
9.  Hasselbeck
10. Brett Favre
11. Vince Young
12. Rivers

Maybe Cutler too.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#11 : August 21, 2008, 02:08:45 PM

1. Brady- No debate necesary

2. Manning- No debate necessary

3. Rothlisburger- Has a superbowl ring and threw over 30 td's last year.  I think you can solidly put him in the category

4. Garrard- Had one great year, looks like he's headed that direction, but needs at least one more year to solidify the position

5.  Palmer- Always puts up gawdy numbers and his team would be 2-14 with out him.

6. Rivers- Very debatable.  Plays on a team with an excellent defense.  Has potential, right now I would have to give him a no.

7. McNabb- Depending on how you're grading, but he's been a franchise QB for a number of years, the debate is weather he is STILL a franchise QB.

8. Romo- One of the best new QB's in the league.  He would have to have a major let down this year to remove him from the list.

9. E. Manning- Gets in just because of the run at the end of the year.  If the question would have been raised before the playoffs, he wouldn't be on the list.

10. Brees- Puts up great numbers and his team falls off the map with out him.

11. Hassleback- Solidly consistent for a lot of years, been to a Superbowl and put his team on his back last year.  I think he's definitely a franchise guy.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#12 : August 21, 2008, 02:08:58 PM

How is Eli a *clear cut* franchise QB?

Exactly a year ago weren't people still questioning whether or not he was a bust and if he'd ever put it together to play consistently?

Romo, Cutler and Young have yet to do much in the playoffs.. not sure how that equates to franchise clear cut QB either.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

acacius

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 21, 2008, 02:12:11 PM

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Romo
4. E. Manning
5. McNabb
6. Rothlisberger
7. Palmer
8. Brees
9. Hasselbeck
10. Brett Favre
11. Vince Young
12. Rivers

Maybe Cutler too.

Personally, I'd say that McNabb and Favre WERE clear-cut franchise quarterbacks, but I think whether or not they are at this point depends on how you define the term.  I think Young still COULD wind up on the list, but he doesn't belong anywhere near it yet, imo.

I'm tempted to add Anderson to the list, but I don't object to anyone saying he needs to prove he can play like that two years in a row.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#14 : August 21, 2008, 02:13:42 PM

I see a dozen...

10. Brett Favre
11. Vince Young

Maybe Cutler too.

10. Brett Favre- I can't put Favre on the list because when I think of a franchise QB, it's either a guy who has been with a franchise for a long time and has done great things there, or a young guy who just got on the team as is going to do a lot of great things there.  Favre is a great QB, but he won't be remembered for playing with the Jets and won't be the face of that franchise for longer than a year or 2.

11. Vince Young- I haven't seen the consistency from this guy yet to garner the title franchise QB.  

Maybe Cutler too.- He's a possibility, I'm going to have to see him do it for a little longer.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools