Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 21, 2008, 02:18:24 PM

"Clear cut" meaning the 2008 starter looks like a franchise QB who can carry the team and appears that he will be entrenched as that, barring injury.

Couple Q's...

1. "... can carry them..."
 Â   Does that mean: He can take a bad team to the playoffs?  Or does it mean he can lead a nice to great team to the playoffs?

2. A guy who is the starter now and will be for the year?  Or 2 years?  Or 3 years?  Or more?

3. Our perception, the teams perception, or the media's?

Honestly... the list can range from 1 to 25 based on the answers.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 21, 2008, 02:18:56 PM

I see a dozen...

1.  Brady
2.  Manning
3.  Romo
4.  E. Manning
5.  McNabb
6.  Rothlisberger
7.  Palmer
8.  Brees
9.  Hasselbeck
10. Brett Favre
11. Vince Young
12. Rivers

Maybe Cutler too.

Oh man... VY? Really? 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 21, 2008, 02:19:56 PM

I see a dozen...

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Romo
4. E. Manning
5. McNabb
6. Rothlisberger
7. Palmer
8. Brees
9. Hasselbeck
10. Brett Favre
11. Vince Young
12. Rivers

Maybe Cutler too.

Oh man... VY? Really?

I actually found it funny that Young was a given and Cutler was a question.  I think most of the country would flip flop them.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 21, 2008, 02:20:01 PM

I know of only one franchise QB

Jeffrey Arapahoe Garcia

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#19 : August 21, 2008, 02:20:38 PM

"Clear cut" meaning the 2008 starter looks like a franchise QB who can carry the team and appears that he will be entrenched as that, barring injury.

Couple Q's...

ï¿½ �Does that mean: He can take a bad team to the playoffs? �Or does it mean he can lead a nice to great team to the playoffs?

2. A guy who is the starter now and will be for the year? �Or 2 years? �Or 3 years? �Or more?

Franchise QB implies you can build a franchise around them.. a franchise QB should be the heartbeat of the team for at least 5 years.

A guy who is good for 2-3 years is a probowler caliber QB, not a franchise one.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 21, 2008, 02:22:05 PM

Couple Q's...

Does that mean: He can take a bad team to the playoffs?  Or does it mean he can lead a nice to great team to the playoffs?

2. A guy who is the starter now and will be for the year?  Or 2 years?  Or 3 years?  Or more?

Yeah, that's a good way to start breaking it down.

To me when you add "clear cut" and Franchise, you've set a very high bar.  I have to wonder, besides Peyton and Brady who were the other two?

From looking at these lists I'd say McNabb is still overrated and rivers is still underrated, and I wouldn't put either on the list.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Madman

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 21, 2008, 02:22:17 PM

Guess I need to defend my VY selection. :)

While inconsistent, Vince can carry that team when he's on. Ok, he might not be Elite yet but he is the face of the team and he's had little help.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 21, 2008, 02:25:21 PM

Couple Q's...

ï¿½ �Does that mean: He can take a bad team to the playoffs? �Or does it mean he can lead a nice to great team to the playoffs?

2. A guy who is the starter now and will be for the year? �Or 2 years? �Or 3 years? �Or more?

Franchise QB implies you can build a franchise around them.. a franchise QB should be the heartbeat of the team for at least 5 years.

That was my interpretation but since the #'s range between 5 and 12, I just wanted to make sure.  How about the last Q?  Who's opinion's are we using?  I ask that because, personally, I wouldn't say Vince Young... but Tennessee would.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 21, 2008, 02:28:09 PM

While inconsistent, Vince can carry that team when he's on. Ok, he might not be Elite yet but he is the face of the team and he's had little help.

If you think he can be fine... the team would most likely agree with you.  But there is 1 serious flaw in Young's game that lend people to think differently.  Like Michael Vick... HE CAN'T THROW.  If you can't do that, you won't last.  He's an EXTREMELY POOR passer, has a hard time reading defenses, never checks down, and always looks to run before the pass if the primary read isn't available.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 21, 2008, 02:36:03 PM

Based on my perceptions (meaning, these guys are built around or will be 5 years from now)...
1. Eli
2. McNabb
3. Romo
4. Rodgers
5. Stanton
6. Brees
7. Brady
8. Henne
9. Edwards
10. Peyton
11. Garrard
12. Ben
13. Anderson
14. Palmer
15. Cutler
16. Russell
17. Rivers

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 21, 2008, 02:36:38 PM

If you think he can be fine... the team would most likely agree with you.  But there is 1 serious flaw in Young's game that lend people to think differently.  Like Michael Vick... HE CAN'T THROW.  If you can't do that, you won't last.  He's an EXTREMELY POOR passer, has a hard time reading defenses, never checks down, and always looks to run before the pass if the primary read isn't available.

I tend to lean that way on VY to.  Such a stance went pretty hard on me his rookie year, but things are turning my way.  ... and not that he can't improve but his hype was in excess of his ability. 

Think of all the folks that just watched the BcS title game and made up their minds.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 21, 2008, 02:37:07 PM

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady clearly come to mind.  I would say Donovan McNabb who also be one as he’s been with the Eagles for many years and as they may not be as good, he surely had them competitive over the years.  Ben Roethlisberger has to be in there.  In his rookie season, they were 15-1.  The following year, they won the Super Bowl.  Last year he tossed 32 touchdowns.  I would say Carson Palmer is also a franchise QB.  Matt Hasselbeck should also be considered a franchise QB.  You can also throw in Tony Romo, Eli Manning, and Phillip Rivers as franchise QBs but as of now they are too a lesser extent.  Brett Favre and Drew Brees are franchise QBs.

I don’t know what the point of the thread was but as you will see some later round guys turn out to be great, it seems a good majority are 1st, if not 2nd, round picks.  If we want that franchise QB we have to risk a 1st round pick on one and that could come next year with Tebow possibly.  It could bust, but who cares?  Excluding the past few years(06-08) since the jury is still out on them, when was the last 1st round pick we hit on?  Warrick Dunn in 1998 to answer my own question.  Who cares if we use one on a QB and he turns out to be a bust.  He could be the next Akili Smith, but he also could be the next Peyton Manning.  You have to take risk in order to get reward.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 21, 2008, 02:38:49 PM

Yeah, I'll go with this...

Proven:
Brady
Manning
Rothlisberger
Palmer
Brees
Favre
McNabb
Hasselbeck

Likely:
Romo
E. Manning
Rivers
Cutler

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 21, 2008, 02:55:20 PM

Based on my perceptions (meaning, these guys are built around or will be 5 years from now)...
1. Eli
2. McNabb
3. Romo
4. Rodgers
5. Stanton
6. Brees
7. Brady
8. Henne
9. Edwards
10. Peyton
11. Garrard
12. Ben
13. Anderson
14. Palmer
15. Cutler
16. Russell
17. Rivers

I just want to say, just because a FO has moved to build a team around a guy doesn't make that guy a franchise qb. It just means the fo thinks he may be.

If it's just about a team getting built around a guy then you need Matt Ryan on the list 'cause ATL certainly aims to build a team around him.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 21, 2008, 02:57:35 PM

These list are HUGE! 

McNabb is terminally overrated.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools