Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 21, 2008, 03:02:18 PM

Drew Stanton is garbage.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#31 : August 21, 2008, 03:04:20 PM

These list are HUGE! 

McNabb is terminally overrated.

Yet he's had some outstanding seasons, the team is clearly built around him and except for on half a season, there's been little to no challenge to his spot as Philly's franchise cornerstone.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 21, 2008, 03:11:51 PM

Not that he's a big name or phenominal, but I'm surprised nobady has mentioned Campbell.  I think he's better qualified than Young, anyway.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 21, 2008, 03:15:37 PM

These list are HUGE! 

McNabb is terminally overrated.

Yet he's had some outstanding seasons, the team is clearly built around him and except for on half a season, there's been little to no challenge to his spot as Philly's franchise cornerstone.

And some how with that resume he get's run with names like Brady and Peyton...  And Favre....  terminally overrated.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

#34 : August 21, 2008, 03:16:01 PM

1. Brady
2. P. Manning
3. Hasselbeck
4. Brees
5. Rothlisberger
6. McNabb*  -- until he leaves Philly, he's still their franchise QB
7. Palmer

Franchise QBs don't all have to be supermen IMO, but they have to provide a long-term quality presence.  I think the simplest definition would be a QB that you don't feel you need to upgrade until he retires, and you won't let get away.  As someone else said, you build around him. 

Everyone on that list has been, (except perhaps Brees) that QB already.  And it's pretty clear to me that the Saints won't be letting him go any time soon.

Eli hasn't been consistently good, so he may get replaced if he can't build on things.  Delhomme fits the longevity, but not the quality aspect.  Romo could seal a position there this year, but I don't think he's there yet.

The guy who voted for VY needs to have his head examined.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 21, 2008, 03:18:46 PM

And some how with that resume he get's run with names like Brady and Peyton... And Favre.... terminally overrated.

The question wasn't who was a first-ballot HoFer.  He's clearly NOT a Brady or a Peyton, but he was also pretty clearly Philly's franchise quarterback for a long time.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 21, 2008, 03:19:53 PM

Not that he's a big name or phenominal, but I'm surprised nobady has mentioned Campbell. I think he's better qualified than Young, anyway.

Agreed, but I wouldn't put either one on that "likely" list just yet...

acacius

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 21, 2008, 03:21:10 PM

I think the simplest definition would be a QB that you don't feel you need to upgrade until he retires, and you won't let get away.

I'd agree with that, and your list is probably a pretty good one.  I think there are others who have a real shot at belonging on that list, but I can't object to their being "guys who could wind up on the list" rather than guys that are already there.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#38 : August 21, 2008, 03:21:49 PM

If you were starting a team, which FIVE QBs would be on your list?
Brady, Peyton, Cutler, Big Ben, Romo.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

#39 : August 21, 2008, 03:22:43 PM

maybe a more definitive question is...

who would you build your franchise around?

MBF

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 21, 2008, 03:27:24 PM

Not that he's a big name or phenominal, but I'm surprised nobady has mentioned Campbell.  I think he's better qualified than Young, anyway.

I guess I'd consider Brady, Manning, Palmer, Romo, McNabb, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Gerrard, Campball, Favre, Hassellbeck, Rivers, Cutler....missing anyone?
I may have spelled his name wrong but I got him. ;)

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 21, 2008, 03:28:05 PM

Not that he's a big name or phenominal, but I'm surprised nobady has mentioned Campbell. I think he's better qualified than Young, anyway.

I guess I'd consider Brady, Manning, Palmer, Romo, McNabb, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Gerrard, Campball, Favre, Hassellbeck, Rivers, Cutler....missing anyone?
I may have spelled his name wrong but I got him. ;)

Whoops, missed it, sorry

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 21, 2008, 03:32:35 PM

And some how with that resume he get's run with names like Brady and Peyton... And Favre.... terminally overrated.

The question wasn't who was a first-ballot HoFer.  He's clearly NOT a Brady or a Peyton, but he was also pretty clearly Philly's franchise quarterback for a long time.

That's not the question nor does it speak to him being overrated or not.  Although it might explain why so many overrate him.

Hey, he's been a philly for ages, he must be great.  Look and philly almost made the playoffs last year.  And in all that time with the same staff and working around him and making him the franchise guy and they actually made a superbowl once. overrated.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 21, 2008, 03:34:34 PM

maybe a more definitive question is...

who would you build your franchise around?

Clear Cut? peyton or brady.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 21, 2008, 03:34:56 PM

Based on my perceptions (meaning, these guys are built around or will be 5 years from now)...
1. Eli
2. McNabb
3. Romo
4. Rodgers
5. Stanton
6. Brees
7. Brady
8. Henne
9. Edwards
10. Peyton
11. Garrard
12. Ben
13. Anderson
14. Palmer
15. Cutler
16. Russell
17. Rivers

I just want to say, just because a FO has moved to build a team around a guy doesn't make that guy a franchise qb. It just means the fo thinks he may be.

If it's just about a team getting built around a guy then you need Matt Ryan on the list 'cause ATL certainly aims to build a team around him.

Like I said, this list is made based on what QB's will either be the starter in 5 years or are the Franchise QB now... this is my opinion.. not managements.  In my opinion, I don't see Ryan being a starter let alone on Atlanta.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That "clear cut" franchise QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools