Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Brooks Still Setting the Standard at His Position? « previous next »
Page: 1

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: December 25, 2006, 09:09:00 AM

I love DB but it looks like he doesn't realize that he has lost a few steps. Is it
going to be another situation like Sapp or Lynch where we have to let him go
because he wants to start?

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/25/Bucs/Four_eign_Feeling.shtml

And a 33-year-old linebacker reminded everyone in the NFL he can still get it done. That was important for Brooks, whose streak of nine Pro Bowls ended last week.

"I'm going to heed my own advice when I tell guys that don't make it. I'm not going to take a bite of the bitter pie," Brooks said. "I'll accept what it is, and the only way you can make a statement is to go out and play. As I've said before, I'm still setting the standard at this position."

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 25, 2006, 09:13:52 AM

Joe that's a tough conversation to have brother.  I mean I know it's all about winning and playing at the top of your game.  But could it be that because our dline isn't as dominant that his slippage shows more than it really is?  He's looked bad on some plays, but you have to figure everybody is good at this level and DB still packs a whallup...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 25, 2006, 09:17:37 AM

Could be. I hope so.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 25, 2006, 09:20:20 AM

Statistically speaking his numbers this year (with one more game to go) are nearly identical to what he has done throughout his career.  There isn't a drop off with his numbers this year compared to any of the other years.

It is also hard to gauge him considering that the D-line has had issues this year. 

But in my opinion he is no longer a dominate player.  Setting the standard for long term consistency? Sure.  Dominance? That is what I think people are questioning.

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#4 : December 25, 2006, 12:19:45 PM

Statistically speaking his numbers this year (with one more game to go) are nearly identical to what he has done throughout his career. There isn't a drop off with his numbers this year compared to any of the other years.

It is also hard to gauge him considering that the D-line has had issues this year.

But in my opinion he is no longer a dominate player. Setting the standard for long term consistency? Sure. Dominance? That is what I think people are questioning.

I think Brooks is still dominant. Look at his numbers with a poor defensive line this year. He should have two INT's for TD's this year if they refs didnt rob us on the phantom block in the back call. He still can cover the field and run guys down tto make plays. I still believe teams gameplan around DB. Think it if you want but i dont see how you are going to be succeful if you try to bring it to him. All season long there have been three guys on this d that has showed age is just a number #53 Quarels, #55 Brooks and #20 Barber. These are the veterans of this defense and they still are getting the job done point blank!! I really think if quarles doesnt miss the those games he might be going to the pro bowl this year. and we know Brooks got snubbed based on his play this year and the way they Voted in Demarcus Ware as a WLB when he playes DE in Dallas and with Julian Peterson making it when he isnt even in the top of his position with tackles but he does have 10 sacks but that is only because seattle blitz him like crazy as a LB.  Personally i think Brook got Snubbed as with a lot of players did in the AFC and the NFC this year. The Pro bowl voting this year was rediculous

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#5 : December 25, 2006, 12:47:21 PM

Derrick Brooks will retire a Buc, Period.

Hes not after anything except playing, one of the classiest if not THE classiest guy in the NFL

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 25, 2006, 12:50:12 PM

Statistically speaking his numbers this year (with one more game to go) are nearly identical to what he has done throughout his career. There isn't a drop off with his numbers this year compared to any of the other years.

But in my opinion he is no longer a dominate player. Setting the standard for long term consistency? Sure. Dominance? That is what I think people are questioning.

I think Brooks is still dominant. Look at his numbers with a poor defensive line this year. He should have two INT's for TD's this year if they refs didnt rob us on the phantom block in the back call. He still can cover the field and run guys down tto make plays. I still believe teams gameplan around DB. Think it if you want but i dont see how you are going to be succeful if you try to bring it to him. All season long there have been three guys on this d that has showed age is just a number #53 Quarels, #55 Brooks and #20 Barber. These are the veterans of this defense and they still are getting the job done point blank!! I really think if quarles doesnt miss the those games he might be going to the pro bowl this year. and we know Brooks got snubbed based on his play this year and the way they Voted in Demarcus Ware as a WLB when he playes DE in Dallas and with Julian Peterson making it when he isnt even in the top of his position with tackles but he does have 10 sacks but that is only because seattle blitz him like crazy as a LB.  Personally i think Brook got Snubbed as with a lot of players did in the AFC and the NFC this year. The Pro bowl voting this year was rediculous

Maybe you are right.  I do not know at this point what Derrick has left in the tank.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 25, 2006, 01:14:06 PM

I think Brooks is still dominant. Look at his numbers with a poor defensive line this year. He should have two INT's for TD's this year if they refs didnt rob us on the phantom block in the back call. He still can cover the field and run guys down tto make plays. I still believe teams gameplan around DB. Think it if you want but i dont see how you are going to be succeful if you try to bring it to him. All season long there have been three guys on this d that has showed age is just a number #53 Quarels, #55 Brooks and #20 Barber. These are the veterans of this defense and they still are getting the job done point blank!! I really think if quarles doesnt miss the those games he might be going to the pro bowl this year. and we know Brooks got snubbed based on his play this year and the way they Voted in Demarcus Ware as a WLB when he playes DE in Dallas and with Julian Peterson making it when he isnt even in the top of his position with tackles but he does have 10 sacks but that is only because seattle blitz him like crazy as a LB. Personally i think Brook got Snubbed as with a lot of players did in the AFC and the NFC this year. The Pro bowl voting this year was rediculous

ridiculous?? I'm a Buc and Brooks fan too but Briggs, Peterson and Ware deserved to make the Pro Bowl.  which one of them would you bump in favor of Brooks? Cripes, people are talking like its Derrick's birthright to go to that game.   Although its not always the case with pro bowl voting, your name alone shouldn't be enough to get you in.   He had a great run of pro bowls and he clearly still has some gas in the tank, but you'd have to admit he's lost a couple steps and its time for the next generation of LB's to get their shot in limelight.  His tackle numbers are good but dont let the stats whitewash his deficiencies.  If you only look at the stats Phillips had a 100 tackle season yet those numbers obviously dont tell the whole story of Jermaine's season. 

Pro Bowl LB's shouldn't be helpless as an opponent racks up 300 yards rushing (ATL), Pro Bowl LB's shouldn't get bowled over at the goaline by scrub fullbacks (ATL), or miss a crucial checkdown tackle in the 4th quarter (Philly).  Pro Bowl LB's dont make Desmond Clark look like Antonio Gates.  He's still a solid productive vet and a team leader and that should ensure his spot on the roster in 2007, but his Pro Bowl days are probably over with all the younger and more athletic NFC LBs.  he isn't dominant nor is he setting the standard at the position.  he's an above average LB at 34 years old and is the team leader; that's good enough for me.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 25, 2006, 01:23:03 PM

Brooks can make a case for being more productive but Ware, Peterson, and Briggs all are dominating and making more game changing plays.  Could Brooks make more plays with a better D-line in front of him? Possibly.   It is a hard question to answer at this point.

fessy

Second String

#9 : December 25, 2006, 01:46:13 PM

no matter what, I'm glad he still thinks he does.

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#10 : December 25, 2006, 01:55:15 PM

Look at pertesons number compared to Brooks. Brook by far has the better Look st his number 120 tackles, 3 int's and 1 TD But i think the one thing that got perterson by was his sack number 9 sacks but he has onlyl 80 or so tackles. Now i know Seattle Blitzes the Lb a lot. But player for player i would take Brooks over perterson any day if i had to chose And my argument with Ware is not that he shouldnt have made it but. If i can remember Ware plays DE doesnt he? I think they made the switch this year when they went to the 3-4 but really this guy is a DE playing LB. His numbers are not that great either for a Pro Bowl 59 total tackles and 7.5 sacks. Now im not saying they are not deserving but isnt the Pro Bowl about being the best or at the top of you Posistion? If that is the Case Brooks has both of them beat. That is my argument

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 25, 2006, 03:44:48 PM

I don't think Brooks quite sets the standard at WLB, but I still consider him a top 10 WLB in the league.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Brooks Still Setting the Standard at His Position? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools