Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rattay's Performance « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

: December 25, 2006, 11:56:02 AM

It was Tim Rattay's first start ever for the Buccaneers on Sunday afternoon in Cleveland and the result was a 22-7 Tampa Bay win.

Rattay led his team to just their fourth victory of the season and has folks wondering what might have been had Jon Gruden started him earlier in the year. When Chris Simms fell to injury, Gruden called on sixth-round rookie Bruce Gradkowski instead.

A closer look at Rattay's performance on Sunday has me wondering what all the ruckus is about.....

After all, Rattay got his shot against a 4-11 team that has QB issues of their own, unlike Gradkowski facing defenses like Chicago, Dallas, and Pittsburgh. The Browns' defense this year will not get mentioned in the same sentence as those other teams.

The Cleveland defense came into the game ranked 31st in the league, yet the Bucs really did nothing spectacular in their attempt to exploit this lowly ranking. In fact, Tampa Bay scored but one offensive TD in the game, a 3rd-quarter run by Michael Pittman. Considering the field position enjoyed Sunday, the Bucs could have, and should have made this game a rout. In fact, the closest Rattay came to throwing a touchdown was when he fired an INT to Daven Holly of the Browns near the Cleveland goal line. Rattay was also responsible for the lone score in the game by the Browns. Holly was involved on that play as well, recovering a Rattay fumble a galloping 40 yards to the Tampa Bay end zone.

Rattay's numbers were not horrendous any more than they were spectacular.

Completing 16 of 26 passes for 212 yards against a porous defense is rather ho-hum.

So despite turning the ball over twice on his own, Rattay and the Bucs managed a road win, their first of the season.

At the end of the day, Rattay showed nothing that would lend evidence that he would have been any better of a choice over Gradkowski. To take this a step further, other than leaving Ohio with a win, Rattay did not exactly move leaps and bounds toward a potential future starter for the Bucs in the future.

It was one start and one game. It was against the now 4-12 Cleveland Browns.

Forgive me if I am not all giddy.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 25, 2006, 11:58:56 AM

It was Tim Rattay's first start ever for the Buccaneers on Sunday afternoon in Cleveland and the result was a 22-7 Tampa Bay win.

Rattay led his team to just their fourth victory of the season and has folks wondering what might have been had Jon Gruden started him earlier in the year. When Chris Simms fell to injury, Gruden called on sixth-round rookie Bruce Gradkowski instead.

A closer look at Rattay's performance on Sunday has me wondering what all the ruckus is about.....

I haven't seen any ruckus at all after this game.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 25, 2006, 12:11:00 PM

At the end of the day, Rattay showed nothing that would lend evidence that he would have been any better of a choice over Gradkowski.

I disagree with this.  Here's why:
Grads:  54.0%, 5.06YPA
Rattay:  60.8%, 7.61YPA

Rattay is hitting a higher % of passes, as well as moving the ball downfield.  This has helped the running game improve as well.  Rattay has shown that he can be at least an extremely capable backup.  I don't think he should be the starter, but I'd much rather have him at backup than Grads.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 25, 2006, 12:13:22 PM

oh god here we go....

Tim Rattay is so much more effective and efficeint compared to Gradkowski that it is not even up for debate. He makes throws into zones, stands in the pocket....

Yeah, Grads is a rookie, he did the bare minimum, Rattay is not the future but IMO would be a great vet backup, way more cheap than Garcia.

Baghead #2

#4 : December 25, 2006, 12:26:12 PM

as per normal, point is being missed....there have been tons of comments like "Gruden should have put in Rattay sooner...."

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 25, 2006, 12:36:19 PM

as per normal, point is being missed....there have been tons of comments like "Gruden should have put in Rattay sooner...."

Well when you look at the last 8 quarters he has played, anyone in their right mind would say that. Would they not?????

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 25, 2006, 12:37:03 PM

Well when you look at the last 8 quarters he has played, anyone in their right mind would say that. Would they not?????

No.

Prefer I do not think they will ever understand. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 25, 2006, 12:37:50 PM

No.

Prefer I do not think they will ever understand.

Elaborate for once......

Baghead #2

#8 : December 25, 2006, 12:43:54 PM

Cville

Project Rattay against a REAL defense....what more "elaboration" do you need?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 25, 2006, 12:48:26 PM

Cville

Prefer I believe you elaborated your point enough in your article.  With that said Rattay is showing he is serviceable but he needs a very good peformance against the Hawks to stay.  If not then Garcia will be a big target for this team in the off season.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 25, 2006, 12:52:11 PM

Ok anyone explain to the rest of us morons who don't agree with your assesement being that of they should not have played Rattay sooner. Why exactly not? Why not, he played great in the preseason against the 3rd stingers and Rattay looked bad?

Facts are facts and if you cannot see that the Bucs are better served with Tim Rattay as the QB then you just don't know football.

Rattay completes nearly 7% more of his passes, 2.5 more yards per completion, has thrown 1/3rd the TD's (in 8 quarters) and his rating is 20 something points higher.

So I'm begging ADW, show me why they should have waited as they did to play rattay? To get a look at a 6th round QB? Get real, Gradkowski is a bum, he did the bare minimum and Rattay who is far from the savior of this franchise comes in, on the road against the Bears and one of the best defenses in the NFL and carves them up. Rattay looked pretty good to me yesterday as well.

Rattay did something Gradkowski couldn't do all year, break 200 yards passing in back to back games. Grads hadn't thrown for 200 yard in his last 9 games or some crazy stat.

So, yeah we should have played Gradkowski, hell with the season, lets sacrifice that to see what this 6th round QB has to offer, great move!

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 25, 2006, 12:52:48 PM

Cville

Are you serious? He came in off the bench, threw for 3 TD's and 260 yards against the Bears on the road.........

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 25, 2006, 12:54:43 PM

Cville

Prefer I believe you elaborated your point enough in your article. With that said Rattay is showing he is serviceable but he needs a very good peformance against the Hawks to stay. If not then Garcia will be a big target for this team in the off season.

Question for ya, why in the world would we want Garcia who is 37 and would want more money than Rattay when they are basically close to the samething a vet backup??? Anyone have a clue on that, because I know we are not going to sign Garcia to be a 37 year old starting QB. Save the money and keep your vet QB as Rattay....

Or does this make too much sense...

Baghead #2

#13 : December 25, 2006, 12:58:24 PM

Rattay did nothing in the preseason to impress.  Why the hell was he #3 behind Grads if he was so great?

The Bear game?  Chicago was up by 3 TD's and playing softer I guarantee you.

And from what I witnessed in person at camp in Orlando, Rattay looked very poor.  Ask others that attended.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 25, 2006, 12:58:29 PM

Cville

Prefer I believe you elaborated your point enough in your article. With that said Rattay is showing he is serviceable but he needs a very good peformance against the Hawks to stay. If not then Garcia will be a big target for this team in the off season.

Question for ya, why in the world would we want Garcia who is 37 and would want more money than Rattay when they are basically close to the samething a vet backup??? Anyone have a clue on that, because I know we are not going to sign Garcia to be a 37 year old starting QB. Save the money and keep your vet QB as Rattay....

Or does this make too much sense...

It makes sense if you feel Rattay can be a starter for 16 game as he is younger, less injury prone than Garcia, and will be cheaper too.  But Garcia has shown thus far that he can be a starter at a high level though which is something Rattay has never ironed out.  Rattay either has yet to reach that peak or there is no peak to Rattay.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rattay's Performance « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools