Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rattay's Performance « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #15 : December 25, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »

Rattay did nothing in the preseason to impress. Why the hell was he #3 behind Grads if he was so great?

The Bear game? Chicago was up by 3 TD's and playing softer I guarantee you.

And from what I witnessed in person at camp in Orlando, Rattay looked very poor. Ask others that attended.

Rattay sucked in the preseason....Gradkowski sucked in THE season.

Yeah they were playing soft as hell when urlacher about killed Rattay, weren't they??? That looked really soft to me.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #16 : December 25, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »

It hard to say that Rattay sucked in pre season as he did not have many snaps in pre season games.  We assumed he sucked becuase he saw so little playing time in the pre season due to a poor training camp. Gradkowski'splay overall is what you expect out of him at this point.  Simms would have improved his 1 TD/ 7 INT ratio a little bit had he played longer and not been injured.

But with all that said Garcia is an option on the table unless Rattay has a 3-4 TD game against the Hawks.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #17 : December 25, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »

I think Rattay should have been put in sooner. It's obvious to me now. And I was one of the biggest Grads supporters.
Rattay's first game was against a very good Chicago D. They were banged up a bit but still tough.

Having said that, I want Garcia over Rattay. Just my opinion but I think Garcia has enough in the tank to hold the
fort here for a couple of years if need be.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 25, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »

Cville

Project Rattay against a REAL defense....what more "elaboration" do you need?

Prefer I believe you elaborated your point enough in your article. With that said Rattay is showing he is serviceable but he needs a very good peformance against the Hawks to stay. If not then Garcia will be a big target for this team in the off season.

Question for ya, why in the world would we want Garcia who is 37 and would want more money than Rattay when they are basically close to the samething a vet backup??? Anyone have a clue on that, because I know we are not going to sign Garcia to be a 37 year old starting QB. Save the money and keep your vet QB as Rattay....

Or does this make too much sense...

It makes sense if you feel Rattay can be a starter for 16 game as he is younger, less injury prone than Garcia, and will be cheaper too. But Garcia has shown thus far that he can be a starter at a high level though which is something Rattay has never ironed out. Rattay either has yet to reach that peak or there is no peak to Rattay.

So you want to bring in a 37 year old QB to at the least, battle for the starting role? Why would you want to spend that money on 37 year old QB. We just signed Simms, by all reports, so Keep Rattay and if you want draft a QB to have if Simms does not pan out. You would have Rattay who has shown that he can come in and give you some good "spot" duty as the QB as a vet backup which is all he is and all we need. They sign simms to a 2 year deal, they are not bringing in a 37 year old QB unless its nothing else to be the backup which as I just stated is what Rattay is.

We should keep Rattay (he's cheap) and draft a QB or give simms a year and draft one next year should Simms not play well. Bringing in a 37 year old QB to start after just signing Simms to a 2 year deal makes zero sense.

Baghead #2

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #19 : December 25, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »

Simms would have improved his 1 TD/ 7 INT ratio a little bit had he played longer and not been injured.

Maybe. Maybe not.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #20 : December 25, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

No, with Simms, bringing in a 37 year old who is playing very well makes a hell of a lot of sense. He can compete for
the starting job and if Simms stinks it up again, can jump right in and do the job IMO.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #21 : December 25, 2006, 01:14:40 PM »

guys garcia has played a couple good games. He suck the joint up in Detroit under Mariucci who he played for and was a pro bowl QB. Gracia will want to get a nice pay check. I don't see the logic in spending 5 million on Simms and another 3-5 million on a 37 year old QB to have a backup when Rattay has shown he can give you some games at the position.

Logically this makes no sense. If they wanted Gracia they could have given what they game Simms to be here. Garcia is not in the plans unless we pay him next to nothing. We are not going to tie up in the neighborhood of 9 million dollars on Simms and a 37 year old QB.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #22 : December 25, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »

So you want to bring in a 37 year old QB to at the least, battle for the starting role? Why would you want to spend that money on 37 year old QB. We just signed Simms, by all reports, so Keep Rattay and if you want draft a QB to have if Simms does not pan out. You would have Rattay who has shown that he can come in and give you some good "spot" duty as the QB as a vet backup which is all he is and all we need. They sign simms to a 2 year deal, they are not bringing in a 37 year old QB unless its nothing else to be the backup which as I just stated is what Rattay is.

We should keep Rattay (he's cheap) and draft a QB or give simms a year and draft one next year should Simms not play well. Bringing in a 37 year old QB to start after just signing Simms to a 2 year deal makes zero sense.

I think we are seeing this off season differently.  Last off season the Bucs FO wanted a veteran to be a backup to Simms and hope he could improve from what he accomplished. This off season the Bucs FO is looking for a veteran that can start.  That is why Garcia is an option.  As far as drafting a QB in concerned that is not happening most likely (maybe day two of the draft).  If Simms is signed the Bucs will either retain Rattay or heavily pursue a veteran QB that can start.

« #23 : December 25, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »

Before the season started, I stated the following:

"I didn't think Fiedler's shoulder would heal in time for the regular season." It didn't.

"Rattay would be the #2 behind Simms." He should have been.

"Gradkowski isn't ready yet." He wasn't.

Why Rattay ? He is a mobile, solid, WC vet QB with very respectable numbers who can manage a game as well as make things happen.
IMO, it would be a mistake not to re-sign him to compete for back up.

That being said, Gradkowski got some valuable experience and I feel he can at least be a quality #2 in this league.

Bucs should go into next season with the current QB's and forget about drafting one. If they can land Garcia, there may be some teams out there willing to trade for Simms ( Raiders, Texans, Browns etc.) If not, Gruden would be in hog heaven come TC.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #24 : December 25, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »

I think we are seeing this off season differently. Last off season the Bucs FO wanted a veteran to be a backup to Simms and hope he could improve from what he accomplished. This off season the Bucs FO is looking for a veteran that can start. That is why Garcia is an option. As far as drafting a QB in concerned that is not happening. If Simms is signed the Bucs will either retain Rattay or heavily pursue a veteran QB that can start.

Then why would they sign Simms to a 2 year deal laiden with incentives that is basically a one year deal to sit the pine? They want to basically give Simms this next year to earn the spot. He plays bad he is gone and it nothing to the Bucs with that contract. They are giving Simms his one season and they will want a vet backup and Rattay will be a hell of a lot cheaper than Garcia. I see the Bucs playing their hand. Simms has a year (under contract for 2) and if he doesn't get it done I see us drafting a QB next year, maybe this year...They will not tie up close to 9 million dollars in Simms and a 37 year old vet QB. They signed simms to be the starter, 2 year deal which is really a one year deal.

Baghead #2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #25 : December 25, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »

Before the season started, I statedthe following:

"I didn't think Fiedler's shoulder would heal in time for the regular season." It didn't.

Why Rattay ? He is a mobile, solid, WC vet QB with very respectable numbers who can manage a game as well as make things happen.

That being said, Gradkowski got some valuable experience and I feel he can at least be a quality #2 in this league.

Bucs should go into next season with the current QB's and forget about drafting one. If they can land Garcia, there may be some teams out there willing to trade for Simms ( Raiders, Texans, Browns etc.) If not, Gruden would be in hog heaven come TC.

Hi mtn and welcome back.  Happy Holidays.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #26 : December 25, 2006, 01:27:10 PM »

After Garcia (and the other veteran QB's that may/may not be released) and Rattay there are not a whole lot of other options in free agency.  The idea behind Simms' deal in short that was offered is that if he wins the jobs he will be paid accordingly like a starter.  If not he will not reach those incentives and he will be a backup that knows this offense.

« #27 : December 25, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »

Before the season started, I stated the following:

Hi mtn and welcome back.  Happy Holidays.

Thanks bradentonian. I continue to enjoy reading your posts.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #28 : December 25, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »

They aren't paying Simms the 5 million gauranteed to see if he can win the job in training camp...

They are paying Simms the 5 million to keep his services and if he shows he can be the QB for this franchise. If he cannot get the job done then he is out. He won't hit the incentives if he plays bad, his numbers will dictate how he is paid and they arent paying him 5 million to try and win a training camp battle...The Bucs would have been better served to just not signed simms and pursued Garcia with your assumption.

What the bucs did was say that we are giving simms the shot instead of signing Garcia and drafting the heir apparent QB this offseason....

Baghead #2

« #29 : December 25, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »

After Garcia (and the other veteran QB's that may/may not be released) and Rattay there are not a whole lot of other options in free agency.  The idea behind Simms' deal in short that was offered is that if he wins the jobs he will be paid accordingly like a starter.  If not he will not reach those incentives and he will be a backup that knows this offense.

That's the point(s).
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rattay's Performance « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools