Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget about Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #15 : December 25, 2006, 08:35:11 PM »

He was almost a Buc a few years ago.

do you remember why that fell through?

is there any bad-blood on his part since we didn't sign him?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #16 : December 25, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »

I don't believe Rattay is under contract for next season.

I do believe McNabb will be ready to start the season opener.

Garcia will be a starter somewhere but I doubt it will be for the Bucs. We need a long term solution, not a temporary fix.

McCown is still an unknown quantity that I consider to be the best compromise.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #17 : December 25, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »

McNabb will not be ready for the regular season and that is with the advances that has been made in medicine in recent years.  But I do not know why people believe Garcia can not lead a team to the playoffs?

*Garcia could be retained until McNabb returns and then Garcia heads back to the bench.  The Eagles do not like to spend a lot of money at the backup position (they have a strict cap strategy for each position) but may have to given the circumstances.

*Garcia could be retained to start and Mcnabb's future is up in the air.  But Garcia is older and is just as injury prone as McNabb so it is not likely that happens but possible.

*The Eagles are comfortable with AJ Feeley and are not willing to pay for Garcia's new value after what he has done thus far.  Garcia then hits the market.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 25, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »

and the colts have yet to win a super bowl, much less make it to one...

you think the patriots built their team around Brady?  Name a Patriot WR this season... I think he was just a HAPPY ACCIDENT!

Going by that logic, why would we want Garcia? He hasn't won the Super Bowl.

And unless you forgot, our defense made him look pathetic in that playoff game in 2002.

our defense made a lot of QBs look pathetic that year, if you put that loss on the shoulders of Garcia then you didn't watch the game.  We out and out dominated the 9ers in every aspect of the game.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #19 : December 25, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »

I have a feeling McNabb will be ready to go as well. I think sitting back and watching Garcia succeed is plenty of motivation to step up the rehab a bit. Certainly plenty of precedent with QBs getting hurt, the backup excels and the starter never getting their job back. Not saying that would happen to McNabb, but stranger things have happened.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #20 : December 25, 2006, 08:40:15 PM »

Garcia will be a starter somewhere but I doubt it will be for the Bucs. We need a long term solution, not a temporary fix.

well, in today's NFL, and based on Gruden's history, a temporary fix is just fine as long as you win.

If we can get GARCIA I can almost say for 100% certain that Gruden will be on the phone with he and his agent as soon as it is legal to do so, if not sooner.  GARCIA looks to be the perfect fit for this team.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #21 : December 25, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »

Garcia looks great, but it all goes back to why would you sign a 37 year old QB who is going to at best give you 2 years? The Simms contract spells out that the pursuit of a vet QB to play the starting role has dimished. If we let Simms walk, then you take your vet (Garcia) and draft the heir apparent, we didn't chose this strategy. If they go out and pay Garcia 5-7 million dollars gauranteed you are talking about spending that gauranteed money on a guy that will be 39 years old in 2 years. Can you say Charlie Garner, Todd Stuessie? We are out of over the hill cap hell, lets not get back into it...

Baghead #2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #22 : December 25, 2006, 08:52:54 PM »

Garcia looks great, but it all goes back to why would you sign a 37 year old QB who is going to at best give you 2 years? The Simms contract spells out that the pursuit of a vet QB to play the starting role has dimished. If we let Simms walk, then you take your vet (Garcia) and draft the heir apparent, we didn't chose this strategy. If they go out and pay Garcia 5-7 million dollars gauranteed you are talking about spending that gauranteed money on a guy that will be 39 years old in 2 years. Can you say Charlie Garner, Todd Stuessie? We are out of over the hill cap hell, lets not get back into it...

I dont see the point of paying Simms 14 million over the next two years only to bring in Garcia who is obviously not going to demand any less. So we have 30 million in cap space and we spent already a 3rd of that on 2 players who may not even be here 2 years from now. VERY STUPID MOVE!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #23 : December 25, 2006, 08:54:58 PM »

Simms contract spells out that the pursuit of a vet QB to play the starting role has dimished

The way the contract is structured there is flexibility for the Bucs to pursue a starting veteran QB. 

« #24 : December 25, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

Garcia looks great, but it all goes back to why would you sign a 37 year old QB who is going to at best give you 2 years?

Because your azz is firmly planted on the hotseat and you need to win right away.

do you remember why that fell through?

is there any bad-blood on his part since we didn't sign him?

The way i remember it was that his dad was letting it be known that he was gonna sign here then Detroit(or Cleveland) upped the $$ and he went there.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Bucs_offer_contract_t.shtml

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

« #25 : December 25, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »

I dont see the point of paying Simms 14 million over the next two years only to bring in Garcia who is obviously not going to demand any less. So we have 30 million in cap space and we spent already a 3rd of that on 2 players who may not even be here 2 years from now. VERY STUPID MOVE!

If Simms isn't starting, he's not making 14M over two years.  Hell, according to early reports from JF/SR, 11.5M of that are incentives that have to be reached.

There's no reason to completely rule out a competition in camp, because Simms only gets the money if he plays.  It could be argued that Allen made this deal so that there is a backup plan in case they aren't able to upgrade the QB position significantly.

Gruden mentioned that they need "dynamic" play at the QB position and that they would be looking around the league for it.  I don't think the Simms deal disproves that outright.

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #26 : December 25, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »

Garcia's price tag just went way up.  Based on todays game, he may be one of the most atactive FA in the off-season.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #27 : December 25, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »

they did not sign Simms to sit the bench, no matter how hard you guys try and make yourselves believe that, that is not the case.

Simms was signed to play, otherwise, that is a big waste of cash.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #28 : December 25, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »

they did not sign Simms to sit the bench, no matter how hard you guys try and make yourselves believe that, that is not the case.

Simms was signed to play, otherwise, that is a big waste of cash.

Yep.  Simms is the starter next year.   I doubt the Bucs even sign another QB.   There are other positions that they need much worse.   

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

« #29 : December 25, 2006, 10:34:34 PM »

With our history the backup has become the starter in the 3 of the last four seasons, so a quality backup is essential
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget about Garcia « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools