Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget about Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 25, 2006, 10:49:03 PM

they did not sign Simms to sit the bench, no matter how hard you guys try and make yourselves believe that, that is not the case.

Simms was signed to play, otherwise, that is a big waste of cash.

No his contract is structured to offer flexibility.

T

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 25, 2006, 11:32:45 PM

Know why Garcia looks so good this season? He's surronded by talent, the Eagles have talent at every position. Their offensive line is amazing, and they coach to the strengths of their players. If Garcia was playing behind the Bucs offensive line he'd last maybe 5 games.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 26, 2006, 12:16:12 AM

If Garcia was playing behind the Bucs offensive line he'd last maybe 5 games.

Well Simms has no chance then.   :o

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 26, 2006, 12:21:54 AM

Well Simms has no chance then. :o

That's not true.   He still has some organs left.   

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 26, 2006, 12:31:40 AM

Well Simms has no chance then. :o

That's not true.   He still has some organs left.   

Simms isn't very mobile and he lacks pocket presence, so we better hope the line improves A LOT.  Trueblood protecting his blindside is a huge worry, and the leftside is a problem as well.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 26, 2006, 04:00:40 AM

i'll take all bets that McNabb is starting next year day 1 in Philly even if Garcia takes them to the SB.

Huey Freeman

Starter
#36 : December 26, 2006, 05:02:28 AM

Do some of you actually think that the Bucs are going to go into next season with Chris Simms as the outright starter?  They would be thrilled to get Jeff Garcia in here to compete, regardless of the price tag.  3 Million a year is not a lot for a quality NFL QB, regardless of whether he is on the field or not.  This is especially true in years where a team has the luxury of free cap space. 

The Bucs will bring in someone to have an open competition with Simms for the job (or as open of a competition as tends to happen with QBs in the NFL).  And after Jeff Garcia's performance in relief of McNabb, I have a hard time believing it won't be he that the Bucs are hot for. 

Of Course this would probably be a fix for a couple of years, but if you are Gruden, maybe you don't have two years to go through more of Chris Simms's growing pains.  If they look at the tape of the first three games, there is no way they will feel comfortable with him as the top dog going into next year.  If he wins the job, fine.  But they will bring in a pricey vet to compete. 

Drew Brees isn't out there every year. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 26, 2006, 05:06:50 AM

Locking up Simms may have been the smartest thing Gruden has done all year.

Unless you want to start trading draft picks or picking up a QB in the draft, we are stuck with Gradkowski, Rattay, and Simms.

Then we will be looking for a new HC and GM in one year.  How will this team be significantly better next year?  It won't.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 26, 2006, 08:20:29 AM

I am almost certain that Philly is going to resign him. That means Jake Plummer may be the only vet QB available (assuming Denver doesnt offer him another deal). If that is true, there will be a half-dozen teams competing with the Bucs to sign him.

Unless you want to start trading draft picks or picking up a QB in the draft, we are stuck with Gradkowski, Rattay, and Simms.

Because of his play, I'm almost certain they will try.  But how much grip can they offer and he's certainly not going to compete for a starting job.  I think we are in the mix, if he's a guy the FO is targeting.  We've got the cap space and with some good, not great play, he could win a spot here.  If anyone is in danger it's McCown.  Say what you will about Grads, but he's young and athletic and most of all JG likes him.  I think at QB you'll see Garcia, Grads and Sims...Love to see who holds the clipboard next year...should be a nice fight in camp...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 26, 2006, 10:03:28 AM

Yeah, I think we spend the extra cash to get the 36 year-old Garcia, if we can. It's a no brainer, considering
what happened to us this year with the QB position.

By the way, do those of you who keep pointing out his age think he looks like an old man out there right now?
I say he looks like a kid who has a 2nd lease on his NFL life.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#40 : December 26, 2006, 10:05:02 AM

I am almost certain that Philly is going to resign him. That means Jake Plummer may be the only vet QB available (assuming Denver doesnt offer him another deal). If that is true, there will be a half-dozen teams competing with the Bucs to sign him.

Because of his play, I'm almost certain they will try.  But how much grip can they offer and he's certainly not going to compete for a starting job.  I think we are in the mix, if he's a guy the FO is targeting.  We've got the cap space and with some good, not great play, he could win a spot here.  If anyone is in danger it's McCown.  Say what you will about Grads, but he's young and athletic and most of all JG likes him.  I think at QB you'll see Garcia, Grads and Sims...Love to see who holds the clipboard next year...should be a nice fight in camp...

QFT.

By the way, an interesting fact you overlook is the striking resemblance between Garcia and Gradkowski. Grad is built and plays a LOT like Jeff Garcia. Same size, both mobile, both without cannon arms and QB's clearly meant for the WCO. Simms had a great mentor in Johnson and a decent one in Griese too. Who did Grad have? He had Simms, who couldn't run the WCO throwing to Rice, Owens, Largent, Faulk and Winslow Sr. Garcia would make an excellent tutor for Grad and really serve to accelerate his development (which is above my expectation as is).

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 26, 2006, 10:09:35 AM

And besides his broken leg with the Lions, he doesn't seem to have a history of injuries.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 03, 2007, 11:46:23 PM

Interesting to see what a few of us said last year. There are lots of threads with Garcia as the topic.

Most supported it. A few didn't.

Some thought it would happen. Some didn't.

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 03, 2007, 11:49:26 PM

I didn't think it would happen to be honest.  After Bruce melted down it became a possibility, but while I thought Garcia was better, I wanted Jake due to age...

#44 : March 03, 2007, 11:53:24 PM

nice to go back and read old posts.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget about Garcia « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools