Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« : December 27, 2006, 07:58:04 AM »

Currently the Bucs have the 4th selection in the draft. The number 1 and 2 picks are not a possibility anymore so I'll ignore Oakland and Detroit. Tampa is tied by record with Cleveland, but picks after them because of their win over the Browns. Arizona, Washington and Houston are all 5-11 and if the Bucs beat Seattle would be tied with the Bucs. So who plays who this week...

Saturday

Giants vs Washington - The Giants are fighting for their playoff lives, but Washington has knack of beating in division rivals. Could go either way, of course we want Washing to win.

Sun

Cleveland at Houston - This is a wild card. If the Bucs win, we want Houston to win so they goto 6-10 and we select one higher. Should the Bucs lose, we want the Brownies to win, so the Bucs then get the 3rd pick.

Arizona at San Diego - Arizona stands little chance here. If the Bucs lose, this game is meaningless to us, but if the Bucs win, hope for a miracle.

So to the the X pick this is what needs to happen

3rd Pick
Bucs lose
Cleveland wins
all the other games don't matter

4th Pick
Bucs lose
Cleveland loses
all the other games don't matter

If the Bucs lose, only the 3rd or 4th picks are possible

5th thru 8th pick
Bucs win
Houston loss (remember they play Cleveland, so a Houston loss puts two teams in front of the Bucs when drafting, if Houston wins, they goto 6-10 and are no longer a factor)
Arizona and Washington- each one that losses moves us further back 1 more spot.

So, a Bucs loss ensures no worse than the 4th pick. And as for the swapping in later rounds, we would not be swapping with anyone. Swaps don't apply to the top 3 picks, and only applies to those with the same record. The bucs would share the same record with Cleveland, but since they are in the top 3 and no one else could possibly be 4-12, Bucs pick 4th in every round.

If the Bucs win, then they will be picking at best 4th and at worst 8th.

Me, although I'd love to have the first pick in every draft, I'd much rather have a win to end the season over a decent team.   

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

« #1 : December 27, 2006, 08:47:28 AM »

Answer:  A win.  Work the draft when you get to it.

I echo Gruden when I say "it's tough enough to win in this league....."

« #2 : December 27, 2006, 08:51:32 AM »

I don't understand everyone saying we need to lose this weekend just for a dumb draft pick. The draft is a crapshoot. We could very well pick someone at 4 and they end up a big fat bust in the Clayton mold.

« #3 : December 27, 2006, 08:53:01 AM »

MBF

Been sayin' that very thing for years.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #4 : December 27, 2006, 09:32:06 AM »

What's best for the Bucs is a loss. There's not much of an arguement on that one. Draft position has value. There is nothing we can gain by winning.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

« #5 : December 27, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »

What's best for the Bucs is a loss. There's not much of an arguement on that one. Draft position has value. There is nothing we can gain by winning.

pride?

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #6 : December 27, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »

pride?

Draft position is worth more than pride. Teams can't trade up for pride.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 27, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »

we need to lose 8 of the last games to get the number 56 pick, then if detroit ever wins we will move down a pick plus if Browns can make it to the playoffs them the number 1 pick is ours? is that what you are saying ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« #8 : December 27, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »

At this stage of the season does it really matter?  The Buccs flat out suck and winning 56-0 will not change that fact.  The Seafarts will be fielding their back-ups because they can’t improve their playoff position.

Our best hope is being in a position of the draft with a player on the board that a couple of teams picking after us really want.  That would possibly open the door to a trade down a few spots and an extra pick.   Being as high up the draft as possible makes a trade more likely, and remember you have a much better chance at a “crapshoot” when you have two shots.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 27, 2006, 10:07:44 AM »

You know, if we lose every game next year, we'd have the number 1 pick in the draft. It sounds like we should just stop trying.  ;)

« #10 : December 27, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »

There IS argument IF you are a TRUE fan.  No TRUE fan would EVER want their team to lose.  With all due respect, that is assenine.

« #11 : December 27, 2006, 10:15:27 AM »

There's nothing to be gained by winning? How about momentum, or the fact it will rally the troops around each other, I'm sorry but you can't place any college player on a higher pedestal than team morale and chemistry.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

« #12 : December 27, 2006, 10:27:39 AM »

There's nothing to be gained by winning? How about momentum, or the fact it will rally the troops around each other, I'm sorry but you can't place any college player on a high pedestal than team morale and chemistry.

Good Post..

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #13 : December 27, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »

There's nothing to be gained by winning? How about momentum, or the fact it will rally the troops around each other, I'm sorry but you can't place any college player on a high pedestal than team morale and chemistry.

Momentum for the next 8 months? That's not going to happen. I am a true fan. I want what's best for the team, and right now that is having the highest pick possible so we can get a better player. When you have a team as bad as the Bucs, chemistry gained from one win is nothing because the team will look different the next time they play.

« #14 : December 27, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »

Momentum for the next 8 months? That's not going to happen. I am a true fan. I want what's best for the team, and right now that is having the highest pick possible so we can get a better player. When you have a team as bad as the Bucs, chemistry gained from one win is nothing because the team will look different the next time they play.
High picks =/= better players always, and you know this for a fact.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools