Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revisited: Sarasota Herald Tribune - Garcia is Perfect QB for Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: December 27, 2006, 11:43:19 AM

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061227/COLUMNIST20/612270679/1006/SPORTS

Garcia is perfect QB for Bucs

SARASOTA -- Sooner rather than later, the Tampa Bay Bucs are expected to sign Chris Simms to a two-year contract extension.

The money's pretty good, a package that could be worth as much as $14.5 million, including $5 million in guaranteed money.

So is the contract's language. Simms would enter training camp next year as the team's starting quarterback. All of it, great news for a really great guy. But is it that great for the Bucs?

Look at it from head coach Jon Gruden's perspective. No way can he enter camp with a quarterback menu of Bruce Gradkowski, a veteran journeyman a la Tim Rattay and possibly a rookie draft pick.

That's not a depth chart. Just the depths.

Two weeks ago, three weeks ago, four weeks ago, perhaps the Bucs don't consider retaining Simms. Before Gradkowski's decision-making, arm strength and declining performance elicited a "Holy Toledo'' from anyone watching.

The more one saw Gradkowski play, the more the belief resonated that he isn't the Bucs' quarterback of the future.

A capable backup, maybe. No disgrace in that.

Hence, the return of Simms. His spleen injury in Week 3 against the Panthers and its subsequent removal served to shift attention off the poor season he was having.

Remember all the batted balls? Remember the one touchdown and seven interceptions? Remember the sideline shots of Gruden berating Simms?

Soon to be forgotten amid the security of a new contract. If not forgotten, then conveniently pushed aside.

But given the Bucs' room under the cap, Simms' deal shouldn't prevent the pursuit of a quarterback who's become the talk of the league.

You see him in all the highlights. The guy set to lead the Philadelphia Eagles into the playoffs with talent, yes, but with equal dollops of grit and leadership.

Bring Gruden the head of Jeff Garcia. The Eagles signed him to a one-year contract to back up Donovan McNabb. One torn ACL later, he's showed why he was a three-time Pro Bowler with the 49ers.

Garcia's brought the Eagles back from the dead, throwing 10 TDs in five starts while leading Philly to four straight wins.

Watch him play. It's the way the West Coast offense is supposed to operate. Arguably no one knows Gruden's preferred method of attack better than Garcia.

Matter of fact, it could be opined that no one is less suited to run the West Coast than the slow, plodding Simms.

Sure, at nearly 38, Garcia's eligible right now for his league pension. But while in Oakland, didn't Gruden lean on an oldie but goodie in Rich Gannon?

Sign Garcia to a two-year deal. Let Simms, Gradkowski and whomever else learn from one of only six quarterbacks in league history to have two straight 30-touchdown seasons.

Simms' contract will stipulate he enter camp next year as the top guy.

But nothing about exiting it the same way.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 27, 2006, 02:59:56 PM

couldn't agree more, i'd be happy to see us go into TC with a trio of simms, grads, and garcia. there was obviously merit in gruden's preference for older players, he's won alot more games with old guys than with young guys, it's fine by me to bring some veterans back into the mix to help our future stars along.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 27, 2006, 03:03:32 PM

Watch him play. It's the way the West Coast offense is supposed to operate. Arguably no one knows Gruden's preferred method of attack better than Garcia.

Matter of fact, it could be opined that no one is less suited to run the West Coast than the slow, plodding Simms.

yup

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 03, 2007, 11:29:25 PM

They nailed it.

T

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 03, 2007, 11:33:10 PM

Well at least one of the Tampa area papers have a competent writer.

FireThemCannons

Second String

#5 : March 03, 2007, 11:34:54 PM

Theres my hometown paper coming through with a good atricle!

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 03, 2007, 11:35:49 PM

He has played in the WCO in San Fran/Detroit/Philly and now Tampa. Good signee

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 03, 2007, 11:37:01 PM

But wait, how can this be? I was told in another thread that this was a bad move, one which has caused upseet and depression.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 03, 2007, 11:48:20 PM

Just a reminder. This was written on 12.27.06

#9 : March 04, 2007, 12:34:52 AM

Great foresight.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#10 : March 04, 2007, 02:27:53 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you guys called all the media idiots?  Unless they happen to agree with you!

#11 : March 04, 2007, 02:30:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you guys called all the media idiots? Unless they happen to agree with you!

Old Chinese proverb says: "even a blind squirrel will find an occasional nut"

same applies to the media ^^^^^   ;)

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 04, 2007, 12:00:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you guys called all the media idiots? Unless they happen to agree with you!

Click!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revisited: Sarasota Herald Tribune - Garcia is Perfect QB for Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools