Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson??????? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

smma

Second String

#15 : December 27, 2006, 04:30:35 PM

Didn't the Lions prove you can draft all the WRs you want and you never get any better?

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 27, 2006, 04:37:12 PM

It's a question of wich is more likely to be had in free agency: a pass rushing end or a stud left tackle. The LT that comes to mind in terms of availability is Leonard Davis. While I like Davis...he's not a huge upgrade from Anthony and has a limited upside. Thomas on the other hand has great potential and a big upside. It's all a matter of what we can get in FA and who fits where we'd like them to fit cap wise.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 27, 2006, 04:42:18 PM

It's a question of wich is more likely to be had in free agency: a pass rushing end or a stud left tackle. The LT that comes to mind in terms of availability is Leonard Davis. While I like Davis...he's not a huge upgrade from Anthony and has a limited upside. Thomas on the other hand has great potential and a big upside. It's all a matter of what we can get in FA and who fits where we'd like them to fit cap wise.

Exactly. The FO will try to address as many needs as they can in FA and then the rest will have to get taken care of through the Draft, and the cuts that other teams will make as a result of the Draft.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

KRS9400

Rookie

#18 : December 27, 2006, 04:45:51 PM

Is Leonard Davis the best tackle that may be out there this FA season??

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#19 : December 27, 2006, 05:10:38 PM

yes

KRS9400

Rookie

#20 : December 27, 2006, 05:17:14 PM

Yuck!!!

#21 : December 27, 2006, 05:19:07 PM

Eric Steinbach, a very good guard (the top FA OL), is being targeted as a tackle by some teams, so I guess he is the best tackle.

#22 : December 27, 2006, 05:21:50 PM

Eric Steinbach, a very good guard (the top FA OL), is being targeted as a tackle by some teams, so I guess he is the best tackle.
Problem : Bengals C Rich Braham announced he's retiring after this season, that may cause them to re-sign Steinbach.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 27, 2006, 07:51:44 PM

Joe Thomas is the next Robert Gallery. The Bucs are going to be lucky of Johnson is available and if they pass on him it will be regretable for a very long time....

Why, because they are both white?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 27, 2006, 07:55:39 PM

Steinbach would also be a very good Center. He has played Tackle, Guard and Center. He would be bigtime target at Center for us.

Baghead #2

#25 : December 27, 2006, 07:58:56 PM

Steinbach would also be a very good Center. He has played Tackle, Guard and Center. He would be bigtime target at Center for us.
Yep...If he signs here I see him at center and maybe at LG if/when Buenning misses time.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 29, 2006, 06:17:20 PM

the next robert gallery?

the guy that **CENSORED**ing sucks out in oakland?

are you serious?

the overrated piece of garbage tackle in oakland... that's what your comparison is?

W-O-W

watson

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 29, 2006, 06:53:39 PM

the next robert gallery?

the guy that freaking sucks out in oakland?

are you serious?

the overrated piece of garbage tackle in oakland... that's what your comparison is?

W-O-W
KB,
The problem is some of the exact same....can't miss.....best LOT in years.....etc...etc...etc....were being said about Gallery prior to the draft the year he was selected.  And some of the same things were being said about Charles Rogers and Mike Williams that are being said about Calvin Johnson.  When they were drafted, they weren't seen as garbage.....but the next great thing in the NFL.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#28 : December 31, 2006, 02:34:22 PM

Pirates,
If you look at the drafts since 2001, the number of high round draft choices at WR that have been busts is pretty amazing. Here is a list of the players that were taken in the first 2 rounds 01-05 that have been busts or are headed that way:

Rod Gardner
Freddie Mitchell
David Terrell
Koren Robinson
Ashley Lelie
Charles Rogers
Bryant Johnson
Michael Jenkins
Rashaun Woods
Braylon Edwards
Mike Williams
Matt Jones
Roddy White
(and some will argue that Michael Clayton deserves to be on this list)

Then look at round 3 and later for the same time period and you find the following WRs that are starters/contributors to their teams:
Steve Smith
TJ Houshmandzadeh
Ronald Curry
David Givens
Brandon Lloyd
Nate Burleson
Bernard Berrian
Ernest Wilford
Patrick Crayton
and this year there is Marcus Colston in NO.

Based on the drafts since 01 to me it is a scarey proposition to take a WR in the first round.
And how about the WR picks after the 3rd round that didn't work out? I am sure that there are alot of those.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

bklynbucs11

Starter

#29 : December 30, 2006, 12:01:14 AM

THe thing is - Calvin Johnson reminds me a LOT of CHarles Rogers. I've said it several times - watch his games. THis guy, who is 6'4 and runs a 4.4-40, is rarely wide open. IN fact, he doesn't seem to get separation nearly as well as his physical skills dictate. Why? He runs poor routes. Remember - Clayton's biggest edge in his rookie season was his  routes - he ran them crisp and managed to get open despite running a 4.6 (I think the main reason his production's fallen off - he's running dreadful routes now). Want a perfect example - Larry Fitz ran a 4.56 40 but you can't cover this guy, period. His routes are precise, all his cuts and digs are crisp and he plays faster than his 40 whereas I feel Johnson plays a lot slower.

I would love nothing more than for Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith to have awful pro days. Maybe not so much Jarreet as Smith. I have a feeling that we can snag Steve in the 2nd or maybe even Indi's 2nd pick and then use our #1 on Gaines. Smith's only 6-0 and he's not speedy, but he's a great route runner.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson??????? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools