Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons and Panthers knocked out of the playoffs!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

: December 31, 2006, 12:22:23 PM

Darn... the Falcons and the Panties missed the playoffs.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 31, 2006, 12:27:42 PM

Last year's Panthers were a team that only had one clear weakness which they addressed in the offseason. You certainly can't say the same of the Bucs. There was every reason to believe that they would be the team to beat in the NFC this year.

According to a lot of message board posters, the Bucs had no clear weaknesses, hence the excitement about returning 21 starters and minimal offseason movement.  In fact, we were so "solid" that everyone was happy about burning a R1 pick on a Guard because that was the only position we could replace a starter.

#2 : December 31, 2006, 11:17:22 AM

IIRC, four out of five of the top football publications picked them to win the Super Bowl prior to the season, making them overwhelming favorites. I'd say that puts them in the top underachievers bracket along with the Steelers.

Hold on, I thought all those magazines didn't know anything since we were the reigning NFCS champs.

I never said anything like that. Resorting to straw man arguments now?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 31, 2006, 11:23:13 AM

Well the Bucs were the reigning champs.  But some people told me last year that it did not matter ;) and they said that the Panthers were better becuase they advanced further in the playoffs than the Bucs.

The reason why the Panthers were picked as the favorites in pre season was based on them winning that game against Chicago. Basically if the Panthers could beat the Bears they could easily represent the NFC the following year.  That is what the experts were basing their opinions on.

#4 : December 31, 2006, 11:33:27 AM

Last year's Panthers were a team that only had one clear weakness which they addressed in the offseason. You certainly can't say the same of the Bucs. There was every reason to believe that they would be the team to beat in the NFC this year.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 31, 2006, 10:49:32 AM

IIRC, four out of five of the top football publications picked them to win the Super Bowl prior to the season, making them overwhelming favorites. I'd say that puts them in the top underachievers bracket along with the Steelers.

Exactly.

The Bucs undereachieved without a doubt.  But the Panthers underachieved by a large margin.  The Panthers are the most dissapointing team in football without considering the Steelers. 

Oh yeah Keyshawn must be feeling good now.  :D

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 31, 2006, 10:33:22 AM

Hold on, I thought all those magazines didn't know anything since we were the reigning NFCS champs. So, in the eyes of this MB sholdn't we be the biggest underachievers or are we still trying to feel good about ourselves by pretending others are worse?

Does it always have to go there? Come on Dal, this season is bad enough for the Bucs, can't we engulf ourself in someone else's missery to make this season feel better?

The Panthers were picked by EVERYONE to go to the SB and I'm suprised they didn't perform better, at least make the playoffs.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 31, 2006, 10:28:23 AM

Hold on, I thought all those magazines didn't know anything since we were the reigning NFCS champs. So, in the eyes of this MB sholdn't we be the biggest underachievers or are we still trying to feel good about ourselves by pretending others are worse?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#8 : December 31, 2006, 10:25:20 AM

Hard to say they underachieved more, heck they might be 8-8 which is a darn sight better than 5-11 or 4-12 than we'll be.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 31, 2006, 10:15:12 AM

Much more suprised with the Panthers than the Falcons. I thought Key was going to be the missing link to that offense but really they need big-time RB.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 31, 2006, 09:50:02 AM

I think the biggest sign of how far they've fallen this season is that they are 14 in the NFL in rushing defense. Doesn't seem that bad - but consider this. Tehy finally got a full season out of former all-pro Kris Jenkins (who easily tips the scales at 350). THey also signed Maake Kemoeatu who is listed at 350 but is probably more like 360. THats 700+ LB's from oyur 2 DT's, not to mention Julius Peppers, probably the best pure athelete in the NFL. And Mike Rucker's no slouch either. Hell Minnesota has the WIlliams' who are both smaller, not to mention weaker DE's - but you can't run on Minnesota, Period. 

Jenkins is clearly a shadow of who he was two knee injuries ago. Rucker had a miserable year and he saved his season with a few decent showings recently but he's regressed badly from his 2003 form.

In the end their biggest issue isn't run defense it is run offense where they are 24th, after being 19th last year, they've got an OL that doesn't run block well and Foster isn't a really legit #1 RB.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 31, 2006, 09:46:31 AM

While I feel the Bucs underachieved with the team they had this year.....  The Panthers underachieved to a greater degree.  Pre season favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl and they did not even make the playoffs.  Ouch.

The Falcons simply have a bunch of players they paid that are not playing.  This might hurt them into next year if these injuries with some top dollar, high profile players continues.

Hard to say they underachieved more, heck they might be 8-8 which is a darn sight better than 5-11 or 4-12 than we'll be. At least when they had their problems they didn't completely collapse. What has to worry them is the way Delhomme played this year. He didn't look nearly as sharp nor as effective as in year's past.

The Falcons have an anchor at QB that is gonna make it tough for them to be a consistent offensive threat. Unless they have a BAL style defense they're gonna be hard pressed to get past 7-9 to 9-7 type records every year.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#12 : December 31, 2006, 09:44:45 AM

The Panthers were truly surprizing because prior to parts of last year, they were known as a team that always played hard for Fox. THey had injuries this year, but they have injuries practically every season. But there were signs of this last year when the team would have an outstanding game one week and then fall completely flat the next week.

I think the biggest sign of how far they've fallen this season is that they are 14 in the NFL in rushing defense. Doesn't seem that bad - but consider this. Tehy finally got a full season out of former all-pro Kris Jenkins (who easily tips the scales at 350). THey also signed Maake Kemoeatu who is listed at 350 but is probably more like 360. THats 700+ LB's from oyur 2 DT's, not to mention Julius Peppers, probably the best pure athelete in the NFL. And Mike Rucker's no slouch either. Hell Minnesota has the WIlliams' who are both smaller, not to mention weaker DE's - but you can't run on Minnesota, Period.

Stevie - you'd like it a helluva lot more in Tampa. If we had as much talent as your Panthers did - we'd be superbowl bound. So ditch those damn blue stripes and lezbo cheerleaders (that one'll be hard, but we do have The Rachel) and don the Pewter.

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 31, 2006, 01:55:14 AM

With the G-men win, Falcons and Panthers out....

:D Sorry if this has already been posted.  Sucks that all I have left is to take joy in the failure of those a-holes.  But I'll take it.

Generic Username

Practice Squad

#14 : December 31, 2006, 01:57:01 AM

Carolina's season makes most Bucs fans not feel so bad.  They were stacked, but the Falcons on the other hand don't seem to ever make it happen.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons and Panthers knocked out of the playoffs!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools