Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What are our strengths? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : December 31, 2006, 10:35:40 PM

I would argue.....
we don't have any as of yet

escobar

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 01, 2007, 02:15:11 AM

Changing it up a little I will name what we do need, in order of importance.

1. DT
2. DE
3. S
4. WR
5. Center

I don't have depth in mind with this list, I'm strictly talking starters.

Our defense has always been our strength and from the looks of the offense it's going to need to be again next year if we are going to have a good season. In our scheme, as everyone here knows, pressure from the front four is paramount. DT is the most important part of the most important unit on our team, which is why I listed it as our number one need. We've seen what our D-line looks like with a stud DT (Sapp) and one good DE (Rice), and we've seen what our D-line looks like with one very average DT (Booger, Wyms) and one good DE (Rice), and I think we can all agree our line is much more effective with pressure from the DT AND DE spot rather than relying on outside pressure from Rice and White. A top notch DT whether it be through trade, FA signing, or the draft should be the teams main focus when starting to put together their offseason plan.

Next we need an above average DE to replace Spires. Sure he has looked decent these last two games but that just shows what his true motivation is. When it really mattered earlier in the season he didn't do jack. When he started to realize, "hey I may not be here next year", he kicked it up a notch the last few games. He will be a year older and should be cut. As most people noticed today, White is pretty effective from the RDE position. If we keep Rice maybe we should try him out at LDE and keep him and White on the field at the same time. Does anyone know if it's been done with him before? Regardless if we keep Rice next year or not, we need to sign a top notch DE or use at least one of our 2nd rounders on one in the draft.  I realize I put DE as a higher priority than WR on my list, but if Calvin Johnson is still there when we pick I just don't think we can pass him up. I know everyone on here wants Adams, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but I just don't see a receiver in FA or of 2nd round quality that I'd rather have here than CJ. We can still probably get a very good DE in the 2nd round of the draft or even sign Freeney if we want.  In two years both Galloway and Hilliard will be gone, and if Clayton bombs again next year he will be too. That leaves us with Stovall and possibly Warren as our only two WR's for the future. THAT'S a scary thought to me. If we bring in CJ and he turns out to be what literally everyone thinks he will be we will be set.

Next is safety. While Phillips takes bad angles sometimes and seems to get burned more than he should, I'd still rather keep him over Allen. When Phillips was playing along side Dexter Jackson, he seemed to play fine. So I think Allen needs to be demoted or released outright. I listed safety as a need and not CB or LB because of a few things. I don't know what Kelly is going to do but if he comes back we will be set at corner obviously. Especially with how well Buchanon has been playing. Barber, Kelly, and PB sounds like a nice set of corners if you ask me. Throw Cox in, who obviously knows the system, and Zematais who has GOT to have some talent and that isn't really that big of a need area. With our LB's, we have Rudd and Winborn as potential starters to go alongside Nece, so I didn't see that as a huge need area for NEXT year either. If we keep Quarles we can move him back to the strong side and have him, Rudd, and Winborn if we really have to. If Brooks comes back, which I hope he doesn't since he seems to be about 15 steps slow these days, then Winborn makes a good backup. I say we go after Hamlin AND use one of our second rounders on a safety.

As far as center, I think everyone can agree Wade is just not big enough and an upgrade is needed. My dream line would be Leonard Davis, Anthony Davis, Buenning, Joseph and Trueblood. That's one big ass imposing O-line. I believe I read where Buenning can play center and I'm not sure about Davis playing LG but if we can make it work I'd say go for it.

Orangegone1

Starter

#17 : January 01, 2007, 08:20:15 AM

1. DT
2. DE
3. S
4. WR
5. Center

I don't have depth in mind with this list, I'm strictly talking starters.

Our defense has always been our strength and from the looks of the offense it's going to need to be again next year if we are going to have a good season. In our scheme, as everyone here knows, pressure from the front four is paramount. DT is the most important part of the most important unit on our team, which is why I listed it as our number one need. We've seen what our D-line looks like with a stud DT (Sapp) and one good DE (Rice), and we've seen what our D-line looks like with one very average DT (Booger, Wyms) and one good DE (Rice), and I think we can all agree our line is much more effective with pressure from the DT AND DE spot rather than relying on outside pressure from Rice and White. A top notch DT whether it be through trade, FA signing, or the draft should be the teams main focus when starting to put together their offseason plan.

Next we need an above average DE to replace Spires. Sure he has looked decent these last two games but that just shows what his true motivation is. When it really mattered earlier in the season he didn't do jack. When he started to realize, "hey I may not be here next year", he kicked it up a notch the last few games. He will be a year older and should be cut. As most people noticed today, White is pretty effective from the RDE position. If we keep Rice maybe we should try him out at LDE and keep him and White on the field at the same time. Does anyone know if it's been done with him before? Regardless if we keep Rice next year or not, we need to sign a top notch DE or use at least one of our 2nd rounders on one in the draft. I realize I put DE as a higher priority than WR on my list, but if Calvin Johnson is still there when we pick I just don't think we can pass him up. I know everyone on here wants Adams, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but I just don't see a receiver in FA or of 2nd round quality that I'd rather have here than CJ. We can still probably get a very good DE in the 2nd round of the draft or even sign Freeney if we want. In two years both Galloway and Hilliard will be gone, and if Clayton bombs again next year he will be too. That leaves us with Stovall and possibly Warren as our only two WR's for the future. THAT'S a scary thought to me. If we bring in CJ and he turns out to be what literally everyone thinks he will be we will be set.

Next is safety. While Phillips takes bad angles sometimes and seems to get burned more than he should, I'd still rather keep him over Allen. When Phillips was playing along side Dexter Jackson, he seemed to play fine. So I think Allen needs to be demoted or released outright. I listed safety as a need and not CB or LB because of a few things. I don't know what Kelly is going to do but if he comes back we will be set at corner obviously. Especially with how well Buchanon has been playing. Barber, Kelly, and PB sounds like a nice set of corners if you ask me. Throw Cox in, who obviously knows the system, and Zematais who has GOT to have some talent and that isn't really that big of a need area. With our LB's, we have Rudd and Winborn as potential starters to go alongside Nece, so I didn't see that as a huge need area for NEXT year either. If we keep Quarles we can move him back to the strong side and have him, Rudd, and Winborn if we really have to. If Brooks comes back, which I hope he doesn't since he seems to be about 15 steps slow these days, then Winborn makes a good backup. I say we go after Hamlin AND use one of our second rounders on a safety.

As far as center, I think everyone can agree Wade is just not big enough and an upgrade is needed. My dream line would be Leonard Davis, Anthony Davis, Buenning, Joseph and Trueblood. That's one big ass imposing O-line. I believe I read where Buenning can play center and I'm not sure about Davis playing LG but if we can make it work I'd say go for it.

I would have to put DT first also. I hope we can sign White, trade Rice, and get a solid FA DE and still draft one in the mid rounds. I would put C and S as the 2nd biggest needs. I might add CB in a tie for 2nd if Kelly doesn't come back healthy. I hate the thought of a rookie C, but there are not many options in FA. I think we can get a solid S(maybe not a superstar) in FA. I would love to see us trade down and get some more picks. It just increases your odds of hitting on some players with more fairly high picks. 2nd and 3rd DT's would be nice especially if we can get more picks by trading down or trading Rice or even Kelly.

T-Bone

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 01, 2007, 08:30:52 AM

I hope we draft DL or OL with the first pick

watson

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 01, 2007, 09:21:33 AM

Top need is a veteran QB that can run the offense.  Simms looked OK at times in 05, but his starts this year were horrible.  Gradkowski needs a couple of years of pine time and practice to become a functional QB.  McCown has less playing time than Gradkowski.

Second need is Defensive Line  DE or DT are both top priorities.

Safeties:  Both starters are liabilities

LOT:  Davis has been OK at times, but it seems as though he has a couple of mental lapses every game that causes the QB to get sacked and it seemed as though there was a fumble on almost every occassion.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 01, 2007, 09:46:55 AM

RB is a clear strength, Caddy, Pittman and Graham are a really good 1-3 tandem. Galloway is fine until he loses a step sometime soon.

Other than that on offense you've got about jack and piss in terms of proven ability. We're stuck with Davin and I assume True and hope they get better <insert they're really good noise here>. They're likely fine if they are the 2nd and 3rd best OL but if they are the flagbearers, ugh. Davis, Mahan and Wade are basically trash. Becht is junk, Smith is worse than him I guess. Clayton, Ike, Warren are spare parts. Stovall looks to have some nice upside on limited play time. FB is a total mystery but it is a pretty easy spot to fill so who cares.

Defense you've got a similar mostly bag o' rocks. Assuming we keep Simeon he's valuable but if we cut him we've got not much at DE other than Dewayne "Robin" White. NT Hovan is a strength. Wyms is a good depth player but he didn't show me he's the #1 gun at the spot. Jovan Haye looks useful as well. Nece is a kepper but that SLB spot is meaningless. Quarles seemed to be fine this year as well but he, like Galloway, can't be long for the wall. Ruud at least looks like an upside guy. Brooks is lunch. Barber remains and stregnth but everywhere else back there is trash. People love Buchanon for some reason but the Hawks picked on him pretty well and other than the game where he played man all day long he's looks not very good in our zone scheme. Maybe an offseason gets him right for our scheme but he's never been much more than a wussie so I'm not sure that'll change.

That's the worst part about this season, being bad and finding a few young guys ain't all bad. We sucked and found we don't have much to go on.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 01, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

I think the only DT tackle need is UT I think Hovan is a beast in the middle and had one of the best years of his career this year that rivaled his probowl year. He is going to be a big part in the rebuilding of this defence.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 01, 2007, 11:28:58 AM

QB: Obviously the Bucs FO will be looking for a veteran FA QB.

RB: It is a strength but adding another younger back to the mix would be good.

FB: Need to fill this void.

WR: It is not a strength nor a weakness in my opinion.  It is a shame that Hilliard, Stovall, and Warren did not see much playing time (this again goes back to the staffs obssesion with Becht).

TE:  I really like the upside that Smith has (even though for some strange reason the Bucs staff favors stonehands Becht and has him ahead of the depth chart).  Doug Jolley and Dave Moore round out a solid group.  I would definately say TE is a strength.

OL:  In my opinion Buenning continues to be underrated and is a keeper.  I like what I have seen from the all rook right side of the o-line.  Wade is a serviceable player but looks a lot worse when he has Mahan playing next to him.  Heck any player playing next to Mahan looks bad. Out of that group I would not be sad to see Mahan go unless he makes the switch to center.  The OL though is a weakness due to lacking depth. 

It is obvious that the offense has talent to work with contrary to popular belief. The coaching staffs decision to put Becht over Smith on the depth chart and to opt to use Becht over a third WR  (Stovall, Hilliard, Paris) hampered the offense this year in my opinion.

DL:  Dewayne White needs to be re-signed.  Just like Smith I have no idea why he was buried on the depth chart for so long.  Spires is serviceable but needs to take a paycut.  Haye, Jenkins, Bennett are nice role players but Haye has the best shot of sticking long term.  Wyms I am not about to give up on as he looked like a starting caliber undertackle before sustaining an ankle injury.  Hovan is obviously a keeper.  I mean Hovan I believe looked better this year believe it or not ( ;) sacks).  Hard to gauge if Rice has anything left in the tank.

LB: Brooks is not the same player but he is still good enough as a starter....on the strong side.  Nece is a solid role player.  Quarles continues to play at a high level and Ruud definately has shown that he can play.

CB:  I do not know why people consider Buchanon a wussie.  Based on what I have seen this year he has proven us wrong. He defiantely needs to be re-signed.  Bolden is as good as it gets as a nickel/dime corner.  Barber is obviously a good corner still.  Even with Kelly out I would lable this unit the strength on the defensive side of the ball even though it appeared to be a weakness early on.

Basically most of the defensive unit overall have looked average but there are players to work with.  All that is missing is some impact players to add onto the defense to compliment the role players currently on the D.

Even though the Bucs are 4-11 they have talent to work and there are not that many holes in my opinion on this team if you look at it as a whole that you would expect from a 4-11 team.  With free agency and the draft I can easily see the Bucs filling the holes and adding some depth. 

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 01, 2007, 11:36:58 AM

QB: Obviously the Bucs FO will be looking for a veteran FA QB.

RB: It is a strength but adding another younger back to the mix would be good.

FB: Need to fill this void.

WR: It is not a strength nor a weakness in my opinion. It is a shame that Hilliard, Stovall, and Warren did not see much playing time (this again goes back to the staffs obssesion with Becht).

TE: I really like the upside that Smith has (even though for some strange reason the Bucs staff favors stonehands Becht and has him ahead of the depth chart). Doug Jolley and Dave Moore round out a solid group. I would definately say TE is a strength.

OL: In my opinion Buenning continues to be underrated and is a keeper. I like what I have seen from the all rook right side of the o-line. Wade is a serviceable player but looks a lot worse when he has Mahan playing next to him. Heck any player playing next to Mahan looks bad. Out of that group I would not be sad to see Mahan go unless he makes the switch to center. The OL though is a weakness due to lacking depth.

It is obvious that the offense has talent to work with contrary to popular belief. The coaching staffs decision to put Becht over Smith on the depth chart and to opt to use Becht over a third WR (Stovall, Hilliard, Paris) hampered the offense this year in my opinion.

DL: Dewayne White needs to be re-signed. Just like Smith I have no idea why he was buried on the depth chart for so long. Spires is serviceable but needs to take a paycut. Haye, Jenkins, Bennett are nice role players but Haye has the best shot of sticking long term. Wyms I am not about to give up on as he looked like a starting caliber undertackle before sustaining an ankle injury. Hovan is obviously a keeper. I mean Hovan I believe looked better this year believe it or not ( ;) sacks). Hard to gauge if Rice has anything left in the tank.

LB: Brooks is not the same player but he is still good enough as a starter....on the strong side. Nece is a solid role player. Quarles continues to play at a high level and Ruud definately has shown that he can play.

CB: I do not know why people consider Buchanon a wussie. Based on what I have seen this year he has proven us wrong. He defiantely needs to be re-signed. Bolden is as good as it gets as a nickel/dime corner. Barber is obviously a good corner still. Even with Kelly out I would lable this unit the strength on the defensive side of the ball even though it appeared to be a weakness early on.

Basically most of the defensive unit overall have looked average but there are players to work with. All that is missing is some impact players to add onto the defense to compliment the role players currently on the D.

Even though the Bucs are 4-11 they have talent to work and there are not that many holes in my opinion on this team if you look at it as a whole that you would expect from a 4-11 team. With free agency and the draft I can easily see the Bucs filling the holes and adding some depth.

Hovan had the second best year of his career this year and has only improved since he got here. In fact he had more solo tackles this year then he did in his pro-bowl year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 01, 2007, 11:44:09 AM

1. DT
2. DE
3. S
4. WR
5. Center

I would add LT and QB to that list.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What are our strengths? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools