Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 01, 2007, 08:19:37 PM

...it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming.

Caddy was the consensus pick that year.

I disagree. Everyone and their mother thought we were taking Mike Williams. Especially after the rumor of Bruce Allen having dinner with him the night before.

Don't forget the draft day "rumor" that was spread about the Bucs being interested in trading up to take a look at Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#16 : January 01, 2007, 11:10:32 PM

Ill be happy with Quinn or Adams, both potential franchise players on either side of the ball

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 01, 2007, 11:24:42 PM

I think it depends on what happens in free agency. If we fail to sign either Plummer or Garcia, I expect Gruden to go after Quinn in the draft. He may need to trade up one or two spots, but with the extra 2nd rounder...it can be done.

One thing he did say, "We’re going to draft a heck of a football player" it says two things, we are not trading down, and he wants an impact player. Which probably means offense. Joe Thomas is probably not at the top of his wish list. It doesn't mean he ruled him out, but right now he's looking at the team and is wondering what position needs a "heck of a football player." And I think most people would agree we have one of the worst QB situations in the NFL.

zed

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 01, 2007, 11:28:48 PM

A great pass rusher would definitely make a great impact on our defense.  It will improve every aspect of it.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 01, 2007, 11:56:55 PM

A great pass rusher would definitely make a great impact on our defense. It will improve every aspect of it.

But like the OL, one player can't turn a bad line into a great line. Every player on the line needs to step it up a notch or two. If they don't, this league is so good that the one player will be neutralized by mid-season. A lot needs to happen on both the OL and the DL in the offseason if they want to be any better than they were this year. And draft picks alone won't fix the problems. There needs to be some production, progress, and spunk from everyone that plays those positions.

zed

Pro Bowler

#20 : January 02, 2007, 12:29:12 AM

My point is an impact player can come from the defense.  One offensive player can't make much of a great impact either, unless he's a QB, but not a rookie.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#21 : January 02, 2007, 12:29:45 AM

Whichever player is the least talked about by our staff by the time the draft rolls around is probably our pick. Thinking back to when we drafted Caddy, I don't think I heard his name come out of Gruden's mouth a single time leading up to the draft. Although, when you think back to the Senior Bowl that year I believe Gruden gave Caddy one carry in the game, it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming.

Gruden was enamored with Caddy at the senior bowl, from what I remember hearing. Everyone had us taking him for months leading up to the draft. The Mike Williams people were homers, quite literally. Wanting the star hometown boy. Oh, I remember it well. I loathed it. Everywhere else had the Bucs taking a RB, mostly Caddy. But the minute you went on a bucs board it was Mike Williams 24/7.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#22 : January 02, 2007, 12:34:38 AM

Whichever player is the least talked about by our staff by the time the draft rolls around is probably our pick. Thinking back to when we drafted Caddy, I don't think I heard his name come out of Gruden's mouth a single time leading up to the draft. Although, when you think back to the Senior Bowl that year I believe Gruden gave Caddy one carry in the game, it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming.

Gruden was enamored with Caddy at the senior bowl, from what I remember hearing. Everyone had us taking him for months leading up to the draft. The Mike Williams people were homers, quite literally. Wanting the star hometown boy. Oh, I remember it well. I loathed it. Everywhere else had the Bucs taking a RB, mostly Caddy. But the minute you went on a bucs board it was Mike Williams 24/7.

I think almost every 'expert' had us taking Aaron Rodgers.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 02, 2007, 12:57:53 AM

I don't remember it that way, all I remember hearing from every outlet was Mike Williams this and Mike Williams that. After the year Clayton had as a rookie, and hearing about the potential that Mike Williams had, I was for drafting him as well to solidify our WR core for years to come. Look how things turned out ha. I guess I'm just speaking from the fans perspective because I seriously remember any Caddy talk coming from a few mock sites and an expert or two. The night before the draft when Bruce went out to dinner with MW (or didn't, who knows), we all thought he was coming to our team. All I know is that the general consensus was NOT Cadillac, it was Mike Williams.

zed

Pro Bowler

#24 : January 02, 2007, 12:59:32 AM

SMOKESCREENS!!!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 02, 2007, 01:10:40 AM

This should be a fun draft!

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#26 : January 02, 2007, 01:12:29 AM

If theres one thing with Gru-Allen drafts, theres alot of suprises. Can't wait til March.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#27 : January 02, 2007, 01:32:35 AM

I don't remember it that way, all I remember hearing from every outlet was Mike Williams this and Mike Williams that. After the year Clayton had as a rookie, and hearing about the potential that Mike Williams had, I was for drafting him as well to solidify our WR core for years to come. Look how things turned out ha. I guess I'm just speaking from the fans perspective because I seriously remember any Caddy talk coming from a few mock sites and an expert or two. The night before the draft when Bruce went out to dinner with MW (or didn't, who knows), we all thought he was coming to our team. All I know is that the general consensus was NOT Cadillac, it was Mike Williams.

Yes, it was. It was the first year I was completely into the draft. I remember asking basically every informed unbiased person who we'd take. The consensus was Caddy, with some Benson. If you dig up most of the mocks from that year, which most are probably lost with turnover and all, you'll find a lot of places had us pegged for Caddy. Just think about what you're recalling. We had already taken a WR 1st the year before. A possession WR no less. Then everyone talking about smoke screens in this thread. Do you really think going out to dinner with the guy the night before is a straight forward hint? No. Obviously not. It just so happens that in and around Tampa, it was all Mike Williams all the time. Things like the dinner just fed the machine, no pun intended.

#28 : January 02, 2007, 01:35:20 AM

If theres one thing with Gru-Allen drafts, theres alot of suprises. Can't wait til March.

??? draft is April.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#29 : January 02, 2007, 01:38:08 AM

March when the rumors and draft boards are made from the senior bowl, combine and pro days.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools