Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

escobar

Hall of Famer

« #30 : January 02, 2007, 01:48:55 AM »

I don't remember it that way, all I remember hearing from every outlet was Mike Williams this and Mike Williams that. After the year Clayton had as a rookie, and hearing about the potential that Mike Williams had, I was for drafting him as well to solidify our WR core for years to come. Look how things turned out ha. I guess I'm just speaking from the fans perspective because I seriously remember any Caddy talk coming from a few mock sites and an expert or two. The night before the draft when Bruce went out to dinner with MW (or didn't, who knows), we all thought he was coming to our team. All I know is that the general consensus was NOT Cadillac, it was Mike Williams.

Yes, it was. It was the first year I was completely into the draft. I remember asking basically every informed unbiased person who we'd take. The consensus was Caddy, with some Benson. If you dig up most of the mocks from that year, which most are probably lost with turnover and all, you'll find a lot of places had us pegged for Caddy. Just think about what you're recalling. We had already taken a WR 1st the year before. A possession WR no less. Then everyone talking about smoke screens in this thread. Do you really think going out to dinner with the guy the night before is a straight forward hint? No. Obviously not. It just so happens that in and around Tampa, it was all Mike Williams all the time. Things like the dinner just fed the machine, no pun intended.

Well like I said, I remember it differently. Although I do mainly stick with the local gossip so maybe the national scene had us taking Caddy. I just remember (since I wanted MW) getting nervous while we were on the clock thinking "are we really going to pass him up for Caddy". I remember thinking it was unexpected. Obviously it worked out much better the way it went and if we can get Caddy an above average line he can turn into a 1300 yard back for us for sure.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #31 : January 02, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »

every body was shocked that we took Joseph with the 1st pick as there were servicable guards that went much later and did fine this year ...notably Spencer,and Gilles.Joseph will have to i mprove to make this pick look good ...at least its better then that dude we took from Alabama one year ...he sucked forever ....he played Guard too and lets not forget Curry at DE  or Kenatta Walker our 1st and 2nd rd draft picks went for him,those 3 were kept around way to long after it was apparent they were busts being picked where they were,if say Walker was chosen in the 3rd rd and was a back up all these years it wouldn't have been so bad.
      Hope we sign a center and left tackle in FA takes to long to teach these guys its not like drafting  on defense they play a lot more instinctively.

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Practice Squad

« #32 : January 02, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »

One offensive player can't make much of a great impact either, unless he's a QB, but not a rookie.

Vince Young agrees with this statement.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

« #33 : January 02, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »

every body was shocked that we took Joseph with the 1st pick as there were servicable guards that went much later and did fine this year ...notably Spencer,and Gilles.

Gilles didn't even play a game this year; could still end up serviceable, but I wouldn't base it off of sitting on the bench

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #34 : January 02, 2007, 09:54:41 AM »

Gilles not only didn't play, but wasn't even activated by the Eagles. I liked him as a second-round pick at the time, but he may never get the chance to prove he is Joseph's equal.

In Verner We Trust

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #35 : January 02, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »

I can't wait to see how they screw with Al Davis's head.  Watch, they are going to LOVE Quinn.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #36 : January 02, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »

Gilles didn't even play a game this year; could still end up serviceable, but I wouldn't base it off of sitting on the bench

Shows how people simply react and throw stuff around that isn't even based in fact.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #37 : January 02, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »

every body was shocked that we took Joseph with the 1st pick as there were servicable guards that went much later and did fine this year ...notably Spencer,and Gilles.

College and Spitz in GB among others. Again, the problem isn't rather Davin is any good - a debate thing at this point- but rather you needed to spend that level of pick on a player to get a quality OG. The answer, much like the whole Mike Nugent thing the year before, should now be painfully obvious.

Oh and Giles didn't play in large part becuase the Beagles have a very good offensive line but once Runyon goes they'll move Andrews to ROT and Giles should be the man at that point.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #38 : January 02, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »

College and Spitz in GB among others. Again, the problem isn't rather Davin is any good - a debate thing at this point- but rather you needed to spend that level of pick on a player to get a quality OG. The answer, much like the whole Mike Nugent thing the year before, should now be painfully obvious.

Oh and Giles didn't play in large part becuase the Beagles have a very good offensive line but once Runyon goes they'll move Andrews to ROT and Giles should be the man at that point.

Agreed here.  Nothing against Davin, who has the potential to be a great Guard, but we took him way to high.  What makes it worse is that he was the second OL off the board, but he wasn't in the top 5 of OL rookies this year.  I also feel that we took Trueblood too high as well.  Seems like in our recent drafts we reach for guys that fill holes that we didn't address in FA.

« #39 : January 02, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »

QB, WR, DE. Notice he didn't say OT. I wonder if that's a ruleout on JT.

JT will be there at 3 maybe 4 if we go there.

As it stands right now
top 5 goes

Oakland-Calvn Johnson
Detroit- Brady Quinn
Cleveland-Jamarcus Russell (possible trade down to pick up Jamarcus)
Tampa Bay-Gaines Adams....Joe Thomas picking up steam

« #40 : January 02, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »

I've heard how CLE is really high on Troy Smith and would like to move down to pick him if they can't get him round 2....but haven't heard anything else since.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 02, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »

gruden and allen never rule out anybody.  i guess there's a silver lining in that they've played poker in the top 5 before...they understand that to maximize the likelihood of getting their guy or making the best possible trade, they have to show interest in every viable prospect.

being #4 at the lowest, i can't see us going wrong. any of the top 4 guys not named adrian peterson would be a big boost to this team. 
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools