Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bowl Game Observations and Our Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #15 : January 02, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »

JT looked good. Real good.  I was impressed.  Heck I may go to the Senior Bowl again this year just to see up close and personal.  But, with the coverage from the boys last year I could save the money and have them mail it in for us. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #16 : January 02, 2007, 02:39:23 PM »

JT looked good. Real good.  I was impressed.  Heck I may go to the Senior Bowl again this year just to see up close and personal.  But, with the coverage from the boys last year I could save the money and have them mail it in for us. 

Honestly, the senior bowl coverage is my favorite part about the PR offseason.  Hell, maybe even all of PR. 

As for Joe Thomas, it didn't even look like he broke a sweat out there.  I was in awe.  As good as CJ was yesterday, Thomas was every bit as good.  With LT being a bigger need I'd want him first, but will dance in the streets if we get either one.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 02, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »

I saw Arkansas' defensive line beat up Stocco pretty good, particularly Jamaal Anderson. Can everyone say Thomas was definitely absolved of that?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

« #18 : January 02, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »

Calvin Johnson is a monster.  That's pretty much all I can say there.

Joe Thomas looked like the type of LT you just put in there and forget about for 10 years.  He almost looked bored out there against one of the SEC's best DEs.  He ran his man around the QB and also stood him up with power.  It was certainly impressive to watch.

Gaines Adams had a good game but doesn't appear to be on the level of Johnson or Thomas.  Still a definate upgrade on our line.

The two LTs in the Michigan-USC game that many believe are of the same caliber as Joe Thomas, to put it simply, are not.  Long does not show the same agility and Baker does not show the same power.  Both could be top 15 picks but are not currently in the same league as Thomas.

Dwayne Jarrett has been mentioned as 1b to Johnson's 1a.  He is good, but it is not that close.  

P.S.  Anyone listening when Musburger was talking about Jarrett's upcoming decision whether to go pro or not?  In regards to similarities to Mike Williams, Musburger said Pete Carroll told him that Mike Williams made a huge mistake to leave early.  Carroll reportedly told Williams point blank, "You are too slow for the NFL."  He says Jarrett does not have that problem.  Just thought that was interesting.

Good points. I like the quote by Carroll and agree with him about both Williams and Jarrett. I never liked Mike Williams and used to pbe considered insane for saying Michael Jenkins would be a better pro. I actually do think Jarrett is 1b to Johnson 1a. I think Jarrett is a really good player who wasnt just taking advantage of weak defense, superior athletic ability and a pass happy college offense. Jarrett goes in the 5-10 range though.

I think Penn State LT Levi Brown is the 2nd best OL prospect in the draft. Not many are talking about him anymore, he didnt have a down year either he just kind of went under the radar (not like many college OL are talked about much unless their All World). Levi Brown should be a top 15 pick

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #19 : January 02, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »

Good points. I like the quote by Carroll and agree with him about both Williams and Jarrett. I never liked Mike Williams and used to pbe considered insane for saying Michael Jenkins would be a better pro. I actually do think Jarrett is 1b to Johnson 1a. I think Jarrett is a really good player who wasnt just taking advantage of weak defense, superior athletic ability and a pass happy college offense. Jarrett goes in the 5-10 range though.

I think Penn State LT Levi Brown is the 2nd best OL prospect in the draft. Not many are talking about him anymore, he didnt have a down year either he just kind of went under the radar (not like many college OL are talked about much unless their All World). Levi Brown should be a top 15 pick

Brown was a monster in his bowl game and definitely solidified his stock.  The big question with Levi is if he can play LOT in the pros.  If not, a mid-1st pick is a vary high luxury for a position that is normally filled in the mid rounds (ROT).  However, if he can start at ROT and move to LOT (a la Brown of the Saints), then he definitely has the value to be picked there.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 02, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »

I saw Arkansas' defensive line beat up Stocco pretty good, particularly Jamaal Anderson. Can everyone say Thomas was definitely absolved of that?

I didn't tape the game...But I didn't see him give up anything...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

« #21 : January 02, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »

I like the Jammal Brown comparison actually. Not sure Levi is the sheer mauler than Jammal is. But I oculd see fall to the top of the 2nd round range if he gets the RT label. But I think a lot of teams could decide he is a LT prospect. Either way, the OT position even RT is a valued position and being the 2nd best OT in the draft makes you a hot commodity

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 02, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »

Feel Real Good,

I watched every snap of that game, sometimes in slow mo and Joe Thomas didn't allow a thing. For what it's worth, Jamal Anderson was lined up on the other side. He didn't go head to head against Thomas. Stocco did get beat up badly, but it was Anderson against the RT and one of the guy's inside  (Keith Jackson, Jr. I think). He also got beat up on two screens by the RDE, but Thomas was way out in front setting up the screen and Stocco just held on too long.

Actually - I take one thing back - he did create a sack, but it was fluky - he stood up his man, and then threw him to the ground. The problem was, his QB was escaping the pocket at the same time and he threw him right into him. He put his man on the ground a ton.

I think the thing that amazed me about him was how effortless everything looked. He's strong almost without trying it seemed.

Pulling Guard

Second String

« #23 : January 02, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »

LT-Thomas
LG-Buenning
C-?????
RG-Joseph
RT-Trueblood

I like it.

« #24 : January 02, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

Me too, and then you add Anthony Davis in the mix at LG or RT for dpeth and competition and insurance for Buennings knee. Then they need to make a good young cneter a priority in FA or the draft

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #25 : January 02, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

It all starts with the line. Top priority.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

« #26 : January 02, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

Exactly.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 02, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »

D-line or O-line.

That should be the Bucs new mantra.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #28 : January 02, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »

LT-Thomas
LG-Buenning
C-?????
RG-Joseph
RT-Trueblood

I like it.

LT-Thomas
LG-Buenning
C- FA Pickup
RG-Joseph
RT-AD

Truelblood is your swing tackle with experience than...

« #29 : January 02, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

LT-Thomas
LG-Buenning
C-?????
RG-Joseph
RT-Trueblood

I like it.

LT-Thomas
LG-Buenning
C- FA Pickup
RG-Joseph
RT-AD

Truelblood is your swing tackle with experience than...
So now our QB gets killed by the LDE, not the RDE?
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bowl Game Observations and Our Draft « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools