Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think the Shotgun Formation will help the Offense? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

phbuc

Rookie

#30 : January 02, 2007, 01:47:33 AM

It seems to me that pass patterns need to be longer since the QB has to look the ball into his hands, then up the field to his progressions.  The Center/QB exchange is impacted.  Audibles are more difficult in noisy circumstances.  Can somebody inform me as to exactly how the shotgun benefits a West Coast Offense?.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 02, 2007, 07:51:32 AM

first of all heres hoping Wades gone and if we get Garcia that would mean all 4 qbs on the team were very productive using the shotgun.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 02, 2007, 08:07:48 AM

I'm up in the air about the shotgun.  Dude has been against it for years.  Knowing he has guys who use it better and his refusal to implement it; there's got to be other reasons why he hasn't done it...we just don't know them.  To assume he's just hard headed feeds into all of the half empty hater mentality...IMO...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#33 : January 02, 2007, 08:49:09 AM

Couldn't hurt.  If Tom Brady & Peyton freaking Manning can use it why not Chris?
Maybe, just MAYBE because they run a different offense than Blondie?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 02, 2007, 09:22:40 AM

The shotgun is like some mgaical force. The funny thing is that in the waning days of Aikman's powers this same debate was all the rage in Dallas too. aikman hated the gun, not the coaches. Guys like Montana and Young didn't like it either. They all said the same things.

1. You are looking at the ball and not the defense in the first moments after the snap.
2. It isn't faster most of the time since the ball travels to you and then you get your proper grip and load to throw whihc is basically the same as the drop back whihc does all those things at the same time.
3. It hurts your rhythm. Instead of being in that drop back groove you drop back some times, sometimes you just stand there.

Obviously teams use the gun and use it very well but the gun doesn't solve any problems - if it did every team with a bad OL would use the gun and get better.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 02, 2007, 09:26:31 AM

The shotgun is like some mgaical force. The funny thing is that in the waning days of Aikman's powers this same debate was all the rage in Dallas too. aikman hated the gun, not the coaches. Guys like Montana and Young didn't like it either. They all said the same things.

1. You are looking at the ball and not the defense in the first moments after the snap.
2. It isn't faster most of the time since the ball travels to you and then you get your proper grip and load to throw whihc is basically the same as the drop back whihc does all those things at the same time.
3. It hurts your rhythm. Instead of being in that drop back groove you drop back some times, sometimes you just stand there.

Obviously teams use the gun and use it very well but the gun doesn't solve any problems - if it did every team with a bad OL would use the gun and get better.

Wow, we start off the New Year in agreement.  Is that an Omen or something... ;D

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 02, 2007, 10:05:55 AM

Wow, we start off the New Year in agreement.  Is that an Omen or something... ;D

Don't worry it won't last. I'll go start an Anthony Davis topic somewhere just to start the new year off right ;)

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

watson

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 02, 2007, 10:46:51 AM

Dal,
I think the other thing that comes into play in regards to the QB looking at the ball instead of the defense is how fast things are in the NFL.  You hear over and over again about how this player or that player used it in college and was successful.  But what seems to be ignored is the statement you hear from almost every player that comes into the NFL is how much faster things are.  Those successful QBs you mentioned above wanted that extra second or seconds to see the defense.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 02, 2007, 11:06:53 AM

Wow, we start off the New Year in agreement. Is that an Omen or something... ;D

Don't worry it won't last. I'll go start an Anthony Davis topic somewhere just to start the new year off right ;)

ROFLMBAO!!!  Happy News years my friend.  I look forward to our discussions this year!!! ;D

#39 : January 02, 2007, 11:08:14 AM

Couldn't hurt.  If Tom Brady & Peyton freaking Manning can use it why not Chris?
Maybe, just MAYBE because they run a different offense than Blondie?
LOL
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think the Shotgun Formation will help the Offense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools