Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden beyond 2007 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #15 : January 03, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »

So, if he has a good year, then another bad one, I think that he's gone.

I would agree with that assessment.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : January 03, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »

what if the cow flies over the moon?  that's really important!  let's start to argue and worry over that!!!!!

what if, what if, what if.......fill in your own blanks...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 03, 2007, 01:56:19 PM »

Everyone is assuming that the Glazers are sitting behind a desk with their finger on the eject button. Only they know what their criteria is for success. I do know that they are businessmen. Wins and losses are surely high on the list of critical success factors but you have to factor in, at what cost. Winning the Super Bowl cost the Glazers a lot, e.g. cash($8 million), draft picks for Gruden, Keyshawn, Walker and an extended stay in cap hell. While the fans lust for 35-0 wins every Sunday, my uninformed guess is the Glazers actually like where they sit going forward. In their mind, they have Allen/Gruden/Kiffen, arguably three of the best in the business, lots of cap room ($30 to $40 million depending on off season trades/retirements/cuts) all of their draft picks and then some, an allegedly easier schedule in an apparent weak division and a rabid fan base. Surely, if the Bucs continue cranking out 4-12 seasons going forward, the wheels are off the bus and this staff will have to go, but all signs point to 2007 as the year the Bucs begin the quest to the Super Bowl in a fiscally & operationally sound fashion.

As businessmen, the Glazers purchased the franchise as an investment, and are focused on maximizing the return on said investment.  They made an additional investment to bring in Gruden, which definitely paid off as the franchise value increased significantly after the SB win.  Have the recent losing seasons and the time passed since the superbowl negatively affected the franchise value?  I don't have the data, but it's plausible.  Franchise value depends on many factors, not just wins, but you've got to believe winning helps.  It appears that the Glazers have decided that keeping Gruden at least another year will provide the best return on their investment in terms of franchise value, but I doubt that would continue to hold true if the team doesn't start posting more wins.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #18 : January 03, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »

You figure a lot of that calculation changes with the season ticket waiting line. Essentially they have bulletproofed themselves to a large measure from any economic impact of their decisions. Those tickets are sold and if you don't want them there are 20k other folks who do. There might be some lost revenue if folks start not showing up for the games on concessions and such but once a ticket is sold the odds of it being unused is very low - even if it is given away the Glazers don't care who actually shows up as long as someone does.

I'm sure losing affects a team's value but I doubt that fluxuation has much affect compared to the value of the new stadium, waiting list and of course the new TV deal.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #19 : January 03, 2007, 02:13:45 PM »

Quite frankly for me I will defend him this year but he has to show the progression of a damn competitive team this upcoming year to keep me. He has all the tools to make a good team draft and cap dollars. If the team shows progression and at least finshes .500 he deserves another year since it will be a rebuild with some tools already in place. But it has to build and show consistency and competitiveness.

As for the Glazers -- they have the final call.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 03, 2007, 02:16:47 PM »

I'm sure losing affects a team's value but I doubt that fluxuation has much affect compared to the value of the new stadium, waiting list and of course the new TV deal.

And the new facility.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 03, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »

You figure a lot of that calculation changes with the season ticket waiting line. Essentially they have bulletproofed themselves to a large measure from any economic impact of their decisions. Those tickets are sold and if you don't want them there are 20k other folks who do. There might be some lost revenue if folks start not showing up for the games on concessions and such but once a ticket is sold the odds of it being unused is very low - even if it is given away the Glazers don't care who actually shows up as long as someone does.

Good points, but also think about things like merchandise sales and lost ad and ticket revenues from missed playoff games.  Do you think ad revenues are higher for prime-time games, which non-competitive teams rarely get to play?  Just some thoughts.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 03, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »

Do you think ad revenues are higher for prime-time games, which non-competitive teams rarely get to play?  Just some thoughts.

All shared.

« #23 : January 03, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »

Personally...I would love nothing more than to see the Buccaneers ask Gruden to step down to OC. I think it is very possible that he could be one hell of an OC without all of the other coaching concerns. He has far too much on his plate and doesn't get to devote himself to anything in particular. And...with the HC position open...I would love to see this team go after someone like Singletary.

That would most likely bring this team towards an uncompromising style of play. That's my favorite type of football. Old school, pounding football.

But...Since I have no say in what the Glazers will do...I have no choice but to root for whomever they decide to coach this team. And...that is exactly what I intend to do. ;-)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #24 : January 03, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »

If a team is a consistent loser, you can flush all the ticket sales down the drain.  The Bucs have a beautiful stadium, and who knows what the TV deals are...but it all stems from winning and losing.

Losing teams don't generate as much revenue, based on product sales alone, imo(Bandwagon).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 03, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »

Good points, but also think about things like merchandise sales and lost ad and ticket revenues from missed playoff games.  Do you think ad revenues are higher for prime-time games, which non-competitive teams rarely get to play?  Just some thoughts.

Never saying losing has "no" impact, it is just that the effect of losing now is much, much different (less) than it was in the old single ticket days when you'd have 20k in the stands so they don't have to be as reactive - which BTW is a good thing- to possible fan unrest.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #26 : January 03, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »

Good points, but also think about things like merchandise sales and lost ad and ticket revenues from missed playoff games. Do you think ad revenues are higher for prime-time games, which non-competitive teams rarely get to play? Just some thoughts.

Never saying losing has "no" impact, it is just that the effect of losing now is much, much different (less) than it was in the old single ticket days when you'd have 20k in the stands so they don't have to be as reactive - which BTW is a good thing- to possible fan unrest.

I'd be very interested in seeing how the numbers break down.

I used to sell drinks back in the Sombrero in the old days.  Very sad to walk up and down empty aisles through mostly empty sections with only a drunk or two.  We've come a long way.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 03, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »

Do you think ad revenues are higher for prime-time games, which non-competitive teams rarely get to play? Just some thoughts.

All shared.

Ah, thanks.  I wasn't sure if it was 100% shared or if all or a portion went directly to the team in question.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #28 : January 03, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »

Here's the link to Forbes that gives the teams valuations.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Value.html
It shows the rank of the Bucs and how the valuations are calculated. What is not taken into effect is what they market is willing to pay. Those valuations may go higher with the right buyer.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden beyond 2007 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools