Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gator Recruiting « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 25, 2007, 07:45:23 AM

That's rather like saying Gruden won the SB with Dungy's team.  I do agree however that Zook was a top notch recruiter, as he's proving right now in Illinois.  I appreciate what he did for the Gators in terms of recruiting, but that's a broad statement you make there, my friend!  I wish Zook nothing but success up north! 

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#31 : January 25, 2007, 10:55:17 AM

Tebow, Harvin, Reggie, Smith are just a few guys who played huge roles in the success of the Gators this year who were not here when Zook was coach.

Try again OBF.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 25, 2007, 11:09:19 AM

Tebow, Harvin, Reggie, Smith are just a few guys who played huge roles in the success of the Gators this year who were not here when Zook was coach.

Try again OBF.

Leak?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#33 : January 25, 2007, 11:19:04 AM

I didn't say every player, of course
there were a lot who were Zook's guys.

But you also see what Zook did with those guys.

Plus, take away just the few guys I mentioned above and There is no UF title.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 25, 2007, 11:21:23 AM

Try again OBF.

Leak?
Also, consider Jarvis Moss was 190 pounds and in the hospital while Zook was there, Ray McDoanld (2nd generation Gator) said he was ready to quit the team after getting thrown under the bus playing injured when the coaches kept it secret, Joe Cohen (sometimes starting DT) would be 2nd string fullback, Brian Crum (starting LB) would be 3rd team tight end, and Reggie Lewis (starting CB) would be the team's 9th wide receiver if Zook was still there. Also kick and punt returner extraordinaire Brandon James was a 2-3 star running back Zook likely wouldn't have touched because it would pull down his recruiting ranking.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#35 : January 25, 2007, 07:44:29 PM

Nice article on Rainey here.  Talks about him hitting the weight room, adding 8 lbs. of muscle since his champ. game, how Urban envisions him in the offense, and how Urban wants him to be ready to contribute immediately.  Also confirms, as I stated, Rainey is full qualified for UF.  Also he is going to work good friend and top DT prospect john Brown to get him for UF over Bama.

http://florida.scout.com/2/612825.html

If you're looking to find Chris Rainey these days down in Lakeland, you might start in the least likely place. Long known for his aversion to the weight room, that's exactly where you'll find him. He's planning to add some power in the form of much-needed muscle to go with that go the distance speed he's famous for before he arrives at the University of Florida in the summer.

Rainey topped out at about 160 pounds as a senior at Lakeland High School where he led the mighty Dreadnaughts to a third consecutive 15-win season. Rainey scored 32 touchdowns and gained 2,478 yards as a senior, finishing up with an electrifying performance in the state championship game in which he gained 276 yards and scored touchdowns on runs of nine, 73 and 55 yards. For his high school career he had more than 7,000 yards and 90 touchdowns as the Dreadnaughts won three straight state championships and two national titles in a row.

The goal now is to gain weight without losing his signature speed and quickness.

"I'm up to 168 as of today," said Rainey Wednesday evening. "I'm fast as I've always been but I'm a little bigger. They (Florida coaching staff) want me to gain weight and put on muscle so that's what I'm doing. I'm eating a lot of food and working out every day."

Rainey did his official visit to the University of Florida this past weekend along with Lakeland teammate and Florida commitment Steven Wilks, who will be his college roommate in Gainesville. He spent most of the weekend hanging around with his former Lakeland teammates Maurkice Pouncey, Michael Pouncey, Ahmad Black and Paul Wilson but he also spent some time with James Wilson, Tim Tebow, John Brantley and Lorenzo Edwards.

"We had a lot of fun hanging around," said Rainey, a US Army All-American who is rated five stars by Scout.com. "Tebow's kind of crazy but he's a fun guy."

Saturday he spent time with Dr. Keith Carodine at the academic advisement center and got some perspective on what he will need to study to earn a degree in sports management. Rainey is already fully qualified for Florida with solid core scores and a 26 on his ACT.

Saturday night he enjoyed the time at Urban Meyer's home.

"It was nice … really nice," he said. "When I'm in the NFL I'll get a crib just like that one."

He got a lot of personal attention from Meyer, who wants Rainey ready to play from day one when he arrives in Gainesville.

"He says I'm a playmaker and he wants his playmakers ready to go and I need to be ready to go when I get there," said Rainey. "He wants me to gain some weight and some strength. Whatever he needs me to do, I'll do it."

Rainey had 15 touchdown runs of at least 50 yards as a senior and he had 20 runs of 50 yards or more called back because of penalties. At Florida, he will play a role like Percy Harvin, which means he will be in the slot, at tailback and wide receiver in an attempt to mismatch his speed and get him in space where he can turn on the jets.

He said to tell everybody in Gainesville, "I'm coming to help bring another championship to the Gators. They got a ring this year. I'm coming to get mine."

In Lakeland, he says he will be doing some recruiting for the Gators over the next couple of weeks. Lakeland's five-star defensive tackle John Brown has narrowed his choices down to Florida and Alabama. Brown will be visiting Gainesville this weekend.

"I'm working on him," Rainey said. "I think he wants to be a Gator. I think he'll decide that's what he's going to do this weekend but I'll be talking to him."

TDTB

Second String

#36 : January 25, 2007, 11:46:52 PM

Trattou committed to UF

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : January 26, 2007, 12:25:44 AM

Yep.  I reperted this was going to happen for some time now.  It is official.

http://florida.scout.com/2/613067.html

The Gator Gravy Train continues rumbling as yet another five star defensive line prospect jumped aboard. Justin Trattou of Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco Prep decided Thursday that he would change his commitment from Notre Dame to Florida. The Gators’ mass exodus on the defensive line means Trattou will help fill a huge need for 2007.

It was a tough call for Trattou (6-4, 250) who has been committed to Notre Dame for quite some time. He recently visited Gainesville this past weekend and it certainly was more than he ever anticipated it being. He knew it was a change he had to make.

“I will always appreciate (Notre Dame),” Trattou said. “They were good to me and I can't say anything negative about them. The more I looked at it though, I just figured Florida was the spot for me.

“When I went down there on the official I saw the people, the atmosphere, the way the defense plays, the way the whole team chemistry was, I just wanted to be a part of it. Now, I just want to come in there and contribute and try and make that team better.”

It really wasn’t the National Championship that opened his eyes to the Gators. A bit of bad timing in his recruitment saw the Gators offer Trattou just as he was ready to make a commitment to his former favorite.

“(Florida) offered me back in the beginning of summer,” he said. “It was pretty hectic because that was the week I was committing (to Notre Dame). I pretty much committed early because my high school team prepared to win the state championship and did and I wanted to get (the recruiting) out of the way for the season.. We ended up number one in the state and seven in the country.”

The Gators were on his mind though and he was able to catch them on the television a couple of times. He saw an attacking and hungry defense that played like everything was on the line. So, he took a chance to come to Gainesville and see what else he might like.

“After watching how that defensive line played, I saw them a couple of times,” he said. “I always wanted to check them out and got the opportunity. It was more than I expected and I am really looking forward to getting down there.

“Coach Mattison is a great coach and his players play well. He showed me how good his guys were, how athletic they were and the passion they played with. I wanted to be a part of that.”

The plan during the week was to give Notre Dame one more chance to talk him out of what was an inevitable decision by making a trip to South Bend and talking things over with the staff and players there.. After thinking about it, he knew his mind wasn’t going to change and decided the best thing to do was getting the decision over with now.

“I was thinking about doing it (making the trip), but in the back of my mind I knew I was going to go to Florida,” he said. “Out of respect to them I let them know so they could get out there and do what they have to do.”

So, the Gator staff got to celebrate maybe a little earlier than they expected. Trattou let them know Thursday on their in-home visit that he would be coming to Gainesville in the fall and donning the Orange and Blue.

“I had Coach Meyer, Coach Mattison, and Coach Addazio at my house,” Trattou said. “When I told them I was going to be a Gator, they all jumped up and we started hugging, it was a special time.”

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#38 : January 26, 2007, 01:52:29 AM

I am so pumped up!  Cannot wait for the fall!!

#39 : January 26, 2007, 07:51:24 AM

Florida is hosting  5* WR/CB Ronald Johnson from Michigan...this kid is special....

5* WR Terrence Toliver and 4* Ahmad Paige are still deciding

John Brown from Lakeland is also possible.

What is everyone's feelings of Sidell Corley?

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 26, 2007, 08:14:29 AM

Great news about Trattou!  Now let's hope Big John Brown decides to join his teammates in G'ville.  Hoping for good news about Toliver too.  Even so, as we stand right now, I have NO complaints!  Go Gators!

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

#41 : January 26, 2007, 08:59:11 AM

Its funny that some people "Sileo being one" thought Urban Meyer would be a horrible recruiter at Florida becasue he would be took seriously in the inner cities....woh the crow he eats today!

#42 : January 26, 2007, 09:09:22 AM

From Gatorbait.net ( Florida.rivals.com)

SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT
Bryan Waggener 3* QB

COMMITTED/NOT YET SIGNED
Torrey Davis  5* DT
Carlos Dunlap 5* DE
Cameron Newton 5* QB 
James Wilson  5* OL
John Brantley  4* QB
Sidell Corley  4* DE
Joe Haden 4* ATH
Aaron Hernandez 4* TE
Lorenzo Edwards  4* LB
Chris Rainey  4* HB/WR
Ahmad Black  4* DB
Jerry Howard  4* DE
James Pouncey 4* OL
LaShawn Pouncey  4* OL
Bert Reed 4* ATH
Justin Trattou  4* DE
Demarcus VanDyke  4* ATH
Bo Williams 4* HB
Justin Grant  3*DB
John Jones  3* LB
Duke Lemmens 3* DE
Paul Wilson 3* WR
Chas Henry 3* PK
Steve Wilks  3* DB

#1 IN Football
#1 IN Basketball
#1 in  Football Recruiting

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#43 : January 26, 2007, 10:17:47 AM

Corley has committed but I hear he may back out.

My thoughts are we'll get John Brown, and 2 of Paige, Thompson, Tolliver.

Van Dyke keeps saying he's  a gator, but rampant rumors he will switch to UM.

Either way we have 4 and 5 star guys lined up to come here.  UM, FSU, and the others will get what we can't take....

TDTB

Second String

#44 : January 26, 2007, 01:22:50 PM

And of course with Trattou decommitting from ND Tom Lemming (AKA ND's co-recruiting coordinator - don't believe me watch the Army All American game on NBC) thinks teams shouldn't go after committed players.

This is such a stupid argument on so many levels (it mght sound good to someone who knows nill about recruiting I suppose) I'm not going to bother arguing against it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gator Recruiting « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools