Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for SR, JF, or any knowledgable poster « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: January 04, 2007, 12:53:11 AM

Scott, was listening to you on the Buc Blitz today(technically yesterday) and you were talking about the special teams. You were talking about Mark Jones and him only being able to return punts, but not kick-offs which is kinda puzzling to me. It would seem to me that if a guy has the nads to return punts, than kick returning would be a piece of cake. Please enlighten me.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 04, 2007, 12:57:45 AM

Yeah, now I'm curious too.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Footballer

Rookie

#2 : January 04, 2007, 01:05:03 AM

Doesn't make sense to me either.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 04, 2007, 01:11:11 AM

How about we just dump Mark Jones anyway. I'm sure there is someone in the Tampa area that can produce what he does on punt returns.

Baghead #2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 04, 2007, 03:30:46 AM

I would imagine it boils down to having more momentum on kick returns (defense) than on PRs.  Shorter field, more controlled bursts down the field.  On kick returns it is a ball out affair, full of crazies tying to earn their keep and make that one lick stick.

Not saying PR duties are a piece of cake, but on kick returns there are more straight line bodies looking for a collision.  IN a punt return scenario, it is more of a box in approach, dealing with less coverage (of acreage).

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 04, 2007, 07:19:48 AM

"or any knowledgable poster"

damn, I don't fit that criteria.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 04, 2007, 09:05:17 AM

This isn't hard and fast rule and generalizes a lot but:

Punt returners tend to be shiftier type guys becuase maneuvering is more important than running fast. Karl Williams was one of the best punt returners during his NFL career but he had no flat line speed to speak of.

KR usually need to be more of a blow and go type player becuase the key is to get to the wedge, find a hole and get past that first wave of blockers. There also seems to be a preference for bigger guys at KR because of the hits you can take on those.

I know Mark Jones is supposed to be really fast so he should be able to KR but he's a smaller guy so maybe the Bucs are looking for a bit more beef at the spot to break a tackle or two (this answer doesn't explain why Gold Tooth was back there on KR duties though).

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 04, 2007, 10:16:16 AM

There are a couple of things that differentiate a KR from a PR. Some guys can do both, others are only suited to one.

For PR, you often see a team using a WR or a DB. That's because PR's are guys who have a little shiftiness to them, who can make quick cuts and are suited more to open field running. Teams like PR's who are adept at change of direction and have good speed and quickness. ST coaches like WR's back there because they're accustomed to pulling a ball down out of the air. They want their PR to, most of all, secure the football because if they blow it, it can easily become a turnover. If the receiving team doesn't touch the football, it isn't live. Opposing teams can only down the ball by touching it and create a dead ball situation.

There are also more judgment issues involved in punt returns, but I won't really discuss those here.

For KR, you often see teams using RB's. That's because it's a more physical sort of return. Teams like guys who go straight ahead, north and south, on a kickoff return who can also break a tackle or two. Once the ball is secured, a kick returner runs more like a RB. In the case of kickoffs, the opposing team knows that the ball is almost always live, so you can scoop up a KO in the field of play whether it was touched by the receiving team or not. Therefore, ST coaches like RB's for that duty because they tend to be more successful at protecting the football once they have the handle, especially when dealing with a swarm of tacklers.

So those are the primary differences.

#8 : January 04, 2007, 11:47:57 AM

Thanx, i think.

#9 : January 04, 2007, 06:48:52 PM

And on kickoffs there are usually TWO return guys back there covering 2 areas, and on punts you are SOLO and have to cover wherever the ball goes & make something happen.

#10 : January 04, 2007, 07:08:52 PM

There are a couple of things that differentiate a KR from a PR. Some guys can do both, others are only suited to one.

For PR, you often see a team using a WR or a DB. That's because PR's are guys who have a little shiftiness to them, who can make quick cuts and are suited more to open field running. Teams like PR's who are adept at change of direction and have good speed and quickness. ST coaches like WR's back there because they're accustomed to pulling a ball down out of the air. They want their PR to, most of all, secure the football because if they blow it, it can easily become a turnover. If the receiving team doesn't touch the football, it isn't live. Opposing teams can only down the ball by touching it and create a dead ball situation.

There are also more judgment issues involved in punt returns, but I won't really discuss those here.

For KR, you often see teams using RB's. That's because it's a more physical sort of return. Teams like guys who go straight ahead, north and south, on a kickoff return who can also break a tackle or two. Once the ball is secured, a kick returner runs more like a RB. In the case of kickoffs, the opposing team knows that the ball is almost always live, so you can scoop up a KO in the field of play whether it was touched by the receiving team or not. Therefore, ST coaches like RB's for that duty because they tend to be more successful at protecting the football once they have the handle, especially when dealing with a swarm of tacklers.

So those are the primary differences.

Very nice post DTG, you're definitely one of my favorite posters just because you actually know the game.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 04, 2007, 08:48:01 PM

Very nice post DTG, you're definitely one of my favorite posters just because you actually know the game.

Thanks very much. It is truly my pleasure. I've been too close to the game for too long to not understand it pretty well.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 04, 2007, 10:21:09 PM

Also I would like to add that the trajectory of the ball is different when fielding a kick return versus a punt return.  Some players have a hard time doing kick returns but not punt returns and vice versa.  The are some  (but not many) gifted players with amazing hand eye coordination that can handle any trajectory path the ball takes coming down.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#13 : January 05, 2007, 12:37:03 AM

Mora, Jr. has a new job?

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 05, 2007, 12:42:17 AM

Mora, Jr. has a new job?
I think that keeponbucn's sig clearly proves that statement..that mcdonalds will fail to have back to back successful orders for about 5 years

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for SR, JF, or any knowledgable poster « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools