Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Prospect DT « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: January 04, 2007, 12:11:30 PM

Cory Redding, UFA, Detroit Lions

I was wondering about this kid after watching him this year: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396068

Upside 4th year DT, 6'4" 290, dropped 8 sacks this year and did it our scheme up there in DET that Rod brought.

Downside: He had 4 sacks his prior 3 seasons and he got 6 of his 8 sacks in the last months of this year.

Optimist says: He finally got into a scheme that fits his skills and it takes time to adapt to "Rod's Way" of doing things. He's got huge upside.

Pessimist: He's a one year wonder that put together some good games late in the year to score a huge paycheck.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 04, 2007, 12:37:15 PM

I mentioned Redding as a possibility in my DL FA thread weeks ago. I think he could come here and produce. He's a better DT than he is a DE and his numbers reflect that.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 04, 2007, 12:41:40 PM

Maybe it's me, but I'm not sure we can get those kinds of guys to work hard if Rod isn't around.  I know it's a broken record but Rod made those kinds of guys great to pick up as he was going to ride them.  If Rod is kicking him to the curb, you think Jethro can get him right?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 04, 2007, 12:46:12 PM

Chev, did the Lions cut him?  I thought his contract just ran out and he will be a FA.  If thats the case then maybe we can take him away from the Lions since he obviosly fits the system.  I also think our DL and secondary coaches will show vast improvement this season.  They were just like rookie players it takes time to learn the system and the tempo.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 04, 2007, 12:47:45 PM

I didn't realize he was a free agent. Considering the options, both in free agency and the draft (I don't see us taking one at 3/4, don't think a guy like Okoye, Dorsey, et al. falls to the 2nd round), I'd say he was one of the most interesting ideas I've heard for our inside problems.

It's not necessarily that Rod is kicking him to the curb - he's free to go, and I don't think anybody but BucGuru thinks that TB is a worse situation than Detroit (heck just on quality of life and taxes alone it's worth a move). In any case, there's also Shaun Cody (hurt this year), Shaun Rogers (although I don't know the latest melodrama there), and 3 other ex-Bucs to work with (Anthony Bryant, Cleveland Pinckney, and Tyoka Jackson)

I do worry about the coaching issues in TB though on the DL.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 04, 2007, 12:47:53 PM

Maybe it's me, but I'm not sure we can get those kinds of guys to work hard if Rod isn't around.  I know it's a broken record but Rod made those kinds of guys great to pick up as he was going to ride them.  If Rod is kicking him to the curb, you think Jethro can get him right?

Not sure what you're reading into it. What "kinds of guys"? Kicking him to the curb? I'd say Rod really wants to hang onto this guy, but he may not be able to...

Roughly one-third of the current 53-man roster will have to renegotiate contracts in Detroit or seek new addresses. Primary among them are fullback Cory Schlesinger, free safety Terrence Holt and receiver Corey Bradford.

Some will not even be asked back, and some still under contract will have the door shut on their faces as well. But two the Lions want to keep are Redding and Furrey. Both typify what coach Rod Marinelli wants on his entire football team.

Redding, the third-round draft pick out of Texas in 2003, is on the final year of a contract that paid him a base salary of $1.573 million this season. His versatility allows him to play on the edge or inside. All seven of his sacks have come after being switched to the highly active under tackle spot 10 games ago.

Oakland's Warren Sapp (nine) is the only tackle in the NFL with more sacks. Redding also has a career-high 62 tackles (37 solos) and became a defensive captain after defensive end James Hall went on injured reserve in early November.

http://www.dailytribune.com/stories/122906/spo_lions001.shtml

BigRTM

Starter

#6 : January 04, 2007, 12:54:17 PM

When I read the topic I was going to pretty much type exactly what Cheveliar typed. I don't feel that it would translate over to the Bucs considering the disparity in DL coaching (motivation) between the Bucs & Lions.

When Marinelli went to Detroit I though that Shaun Rogers would have a huge year but I believe he got hurt. I still think he can possibly do that in 2007 with Rod working with him.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 04, 2007, 01:04:14 PM

I have to stand up for Jethro.  Jethro is not a bad DL coach and has shown in the past he can be a good D-line coach (Eg KGB and Kaapman).

Hovan had a very good year under him ( and Wyms looked on his way to having a good year before being injured).  Give him some talent and I think Jethro will be fine.

Redding would be a good target.  Jenkins would be a good target as well but the Packers will most likely tender him the highest offer.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 04, 2007, 01:07:28 PM

I agree that he's worth a look.  I started a similar post recently.  Like Wyms, he's much more productive out of UT than the DE spot.
After reading this, I didn't realize Furrey was also going to hit the market.  Martz has really worked wonders for a guy that had previously been switched to Safety.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 04, 2007, 01:47:47 PM

I'd like to see us take a good, long look at Terrell Sands from Oakland. He's exactly what the interior needs.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 04, 2007, 02:45:15 PM

I'd like to see us take a good, long look at Terrell Sands from Oakland. He's exactly what the interior needs.

We have already covered the Terdell Sands topic in a different thread and everyone has their different opinions. Now about Redding, he wasn’t doing anything at DE so he was moved to UT this year and had a great year and considering UT is a problem on our DL I think Redding could be extremely useful here. I also think we should start using Julian Jenkins exclusively at UT since I think he doesn’t have the right mold to be a DE.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 04, 2007, 02:57:06 PM

If he's a cap casualty then that's different.  I was under the impression Rod was giving up on the guy.  Mt bad.  Even still, is he a product of Rod and can Jethro keep him, or better yet, compel him to a different or higher level of play...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 04, 2007, 03:02:59 PM

If he's a cap casualty then that's different.  I was under the impression Rod was giving up on the guy.

The guy's a defensive captain on that team.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 04, 2007, 03:04:55 PM

He's just a plain FA, no one is giving up on him.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 04, 2007, 03:06:46 PM

If he's a cap casualty then that's different. I was under the impression Rod was giving up on the guy.

The guy's a defensive captain on that team.

I have a tough enough time keeping up with our own guys...I didn't know dog...

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Prospect DT « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools