Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Starting WLB In 2007 Will Be.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

: January 04, 2007, 09:48:36 PM

The winner of a camp competition between Jamie Winborn and Derrick Brooks, with a very good chance that it is Jamie Winborn. Briggs will catch the franchise tag from the Bears, and unless Winborn plays outstanding will be the main target for the 2008 off season.

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 04, 2007, 09:50:52 PM

Briggs will not be Franchised, the Bears don't want to invest too much money into one spot with already paying Urlacher alot of money.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 04, 2007, 09:53:00 PM

I'm guessing the winner will be Brooks, of course I'm only going by the fact that it actually occured 4 months ago. As for who will be the starter for 2007, I'm not quite sure yet.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 04, 2007, 09:53:32 PM

The Bears will most likely draft his replacement so I can see Briggs hitting free agency.  

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 04, 2007, 09:53:41 PM

Briggs will not be Franchised, the Bears don't want to invest too much money into one spot with already paying Urlacher alot of money.

The Franchise Tag does not signify an "investment". It only affects your cap for one year. Unless they have somewhere better to spend the money, and no space at all (which they do have space) there is no reason not to tag him.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 04, 2007, 09:54:02 PM

Damn you, you fixed the thread title  :)

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 04, 2007, 09:56:34 PM

Briggs at Will, Ruud at Mike, and Brooks at Sam.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#7 : January 04, 2007, 09:57:25 PM

I think it will be Cato June, Ruud and Brooks

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 04, 2007, 09:58:53 PM

Guys, you have got to sign up for insider info here, its the bomb....

I agree with my man ADW, I think its just too much money (7million) to bring back Briggs with Urlacher making 5million (which isn't bad). They will have to revisit this next year and they still have a serious need to keep Harris who is expecting a new contract. Harris is more valuable to them than Briggs, they already have Urlacher and as ADW said they can prepare a guy to fill in via FA or the draft.

Baghead #2

bucball2010

Pro Bowler
#9 : January 04, 2007, 10:02:12 PM

here's a question how good is Jamie Winborn?

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.

Philippians 4:6

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 04, 2007, 10:17:28 PM

here's a question how good is Jamie Winborn?

Depends.

bucball2010

Pro Bowler
#11 : January 04, 2007, 10:19:58 PM

depends on what

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.

Philippians 4:6

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 04, 2007, 10:37:09 PM

TBA ... only time will tell.   My gut feeling is that it won't be Brooks-we'll just have to wait and see.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 04, 2007, 10:41:24 PM

Winborn does have a lot of upside and he did do well in his time with the niners. I think the issue with him was he was injured way too often while a starter there. He hasn't been injured here, but then again he hasn't played much. I think he would be a better option at Sam to compete with Nece for the starter spot there. I would really like the Bucs to heavy go after Briggs once FA starts. THe Bears won't Franchise him as they would still need to give him a contract eventually and by that time there are other members of that Chicago D that will be needing contracts who are more valuable than him.

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
#14 : January 04, 2007, 11:37:21 PM

I hope it will be Briggs.  I'd open the bank for him.  We have the salary cap room.  I dont see the point in signing 7 free agents. I'd rather sign 2 big name players/starters and a special teams player or guy like Jurevicious that falls through the cracks than sign a bunch of free agents.  The lesson I hope we learned was to sign young guys in free agency rather than pissing away money on aging veterans who because of age are more prone to injury.  I'd like to see Brooks shift to strongside but I'm not sure he would be willing to do that.  Maybe he will verbally promise Briggs and Bucs front office that he will retire after 07 and Briggs can play Sam for one season.  I don't think Winborn can remain healthy for a whole year and don't believe he is a Pro Bowl caliber player which is what Bucs need at that position.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Starting WLB In 2007 Will Be.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools