Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 05, 2007, 04:51:54 PM

I just think the whole dynamic of this off-season is gonna be very very odd because of the crazy amount of cap room so many teams have thanks to the TV deal and I'm not sure how it spins out when it all over. I hope as many of those guys hit the market as can but if you had any of those players I'd bet you fight really hard to not let them into this feeding frenzy.

There is actually quite a bit of trepedation and uncertainty in NFL front offices regarding this very issue. That's why teams have to be exceptionally careful this offseason. Fortunately for us, I am confident that we have one of the league's better contract guys in Bruce Allen on our side, which will help dramatically.

There are going to be some teams who absolutely screw themselves this time out.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#16 : January 05, 2007, 05:02:32 PM

I don't think we should make a bidding war for Briggs, but I absolutely believe that Cato June would be a great value signing. He's not gonna get $6 mill a year and won't be fetching a double-digit bonus, and he's a perfect fit in our system to replace Brooks.

Other than that - Ken Hamlin's the other guy I'm taking a long look at. Good hitter in a market not heavy in demand for safeties.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 05, 2007, 05:09:33 PM

I don't think we should make a bidding war for Briggs, but I absolutely believe that Cato June would be a great value signing. He's not gonna get $6 mill a year and won't be fetching a double-digit bonus, and he's a perfect fit in our system to replace Brooks.

Other than that - Ken Hamlin's the other guy I'm taking a long look at. Good hitter in a market not heavy in demand for safeties.

I'm not sold on June. I like Hamlin.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 05, 2007, 05:29:48 PM

Just heard stats on Briggs for this season on Chicago radio -- 178 tackles, 4 four forced fumbles, 3 interceptions and 9 passes defensed. In the sound byte of the interview with him -- "I don't know what's going to happen. I've just tried to work hard. Nothing I could do to make my case any better."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 05, 2007, 05:40:46 PM

There is actually quite a bit of trepedation and uncertainty in NFL front offices regarding this very issue. That's why teams have to be exceptionally careful this offseason. Fortunately for us, I am confident that we have one of the league's better contract guys in Bruce Allen on our side, which will help dramatically.

Oh yeah, there are going to be insane deals tossed at guys that don't warrant them at all.

You wonder if some teams, like what Minny did a few years back with Clements where they gave him a huge bonus, but a roster bonus not a signing bonus because they were so far under the cap. They took some gi-normous hit for one year on him but instead of getting that bonus pro-rated out it just went away in cap terms and now he's a very reasonable cap hit and easily cuttable for no cap penalty.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#20 : January 05, 2007, 05:44:33 PM

Oh yeah, there are going to be insane deals tossed at guys that don't warrant them at all.

I would love to see Briggs here...but I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what happens. Teams throw truck loads of money at him and then, in order to land him, a team will have to nearly break their bank.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 05, 2007, 06:16:04 PM

You wonder if some teams, like what Minny did a few years back with Clements where they gave him a huge bonus, but a roster bonus not a signing bonus because they were so far under the cap. They took some gi-normous hit for one year on him but instead of getting that bonus pro-rated out it just went away in cap terms and now he's a very reasonable cap hit and easily cuttable for no cap penalty.

Briggs is a candidate for an insane deal.  Here's hoping the bucs don't bite unless the deal is reasonable.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 05, 2007, 06:17:56 PM

no comment ... next ...

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#23 : January 05, 2007, 06:20:17 PM

this thread title is deceiving, and stupid

Rosenhaus isnt that bad, maybe you say that because of TO, but TO is TO

Lance Briggs would be nice, but i still dont see it happening

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 05, 2007, 07:04:31 PM

I was just busting out my Rosenhaus impression ... not bad huh? 

I love Rosenhaus ... I don't think just because he's Briggs agent is any type of indication on whether we sign him or not.  If anything, he's the only reason TO still has a job in the NFL ... the dude may end up too busy to spend a lot of time messing with Briggs contract negotiations since it looks like once again he'll be playing the role of "Circus Ring-Leader" for the Greatest Show on Earth formally known as TO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 05, 2007, 09:37:12 PM

Briggs will remain a Bear.  They have sunk a lot of money into that defense, and the majority are still young and still dominating enough to ensure playoffs for many years to come.  They won't be foolish and let a key part of that LB trio vanish...They have been getting away with winning like that foir a few minutes now, and that is that.

I would LOVE to see Lance in Buc-Pewter, but that is along the same line of thinking I could win the lottery today...even though I did not buy a ticket.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 06, 2007, 10:05:34 AM

I hope the bears screw up and we get a shot at Briggs if that is what it takes.  I suspect Rosenhaus is an issue bc he will want his client commesurate with Urlacher - then the bears have too much cash in the LB corps.  It will be money that makes their mess, and maybe they will choose to put off that issue for a while.  One can hope, right BOid.

PS buy the ticket.  Ya can't win if ya don't play.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#27 : January 06, 2007, 12:33:44 PM

There's one reason I don't think Lance Briggs will or should be here...

Drew Rosenhaus

Drew Rosenhaus=BK  (I am almost positive)

And I dont mean the king

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 06, 2007, 04:00:42 PM

Nope, BK's agent is Gary Uberstein.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 07, 2007, 12:33:11 PM

They should keep Briggs. If they want to model the bucs they better keep that defense intact. I just don't know if they can keep Briggs. Franchise him, possibly but I think he wants to be the man and in Chi-town Urlacher runs that show.

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools