Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#30 : January 07, 2007, 01:48:16 PM

2 questions....what type of deal would be a good one for Briggs...

and would he produce here in Buc country with our cerrent line up?  meaning if we have to spend a pretty penny to get him, and maybe pull one good LB from draft, would we be willing to deal with that?

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 07, 2007, 04:16:20 PM

It would cost a boat load but that is what a probowl FA OLB that fits your scheme costs. Getting Briggs would be expensive, but that WLB position is a very big need and you would argueably be adding the best OLB for this scheme.

Baghead #2

BucfaninDC

Starter

#32 : January 07, 2007, 07:47:07 PM

How much would Allen be willing to throw at Briggs?  He turned down a 6 year/$33 mil contract ($10 mil up front) at the beginning of the year.  The consensus is Julian Peterson's contract will be a 'starting' point for negotiations which was 7 year/$54 mil.  The Bucs just got financially fixed, is it worth it to throw that much at 1 player this soon? 

Especially one whose success could be tied to Urlacher being on the other side.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 07, 2007, 08:16:41 PM

How much would Allen be willing to throw at Briggs? He turned down a 6 year/$33 mil contract ($10 mil up front) at the beginning of the year. The consensus is Julian Peterson's contract will be a 'starting' point for negotiations which was 7 year/$54 mil. The Bucs just got financially fixed, is it worth it to throw that much at 1 player this soon?

Good question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. It would cost a bunch of cash and I think that Briggs is the same quality as Peterson but younger and without the injuries. I think Briggs is the maker of his own fortune. He has been right there in tackels with Urlacher. It is true, they both probably feed off one another. I am sky high on Briggs so for me personally I would do everything with in reason to bring him here to tampa.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 08, 2007, 09:06:12 AM

How much would Allen be willing to throw at Briggs?  He turned down a 6 year/$33 mil contract ($10 mil up front) at the beginning of the year.  The consensus is Julian Peterson's contract will be a 'starting' point for negotiations which was 7 year/$54 mil.  The Bucs just got financially fixed, is it worth it to throw that much at 1 player this soon? 

You figure Briggs is $8m per (and a pretty real $8m per year not some fake figure with a $30m last year salary) and that Asante Samuel is another guy that is gonna get paid in that range. They aren't gonna come cheap. These are young already pro-bowl level players looking at the biggest pot of money that ever existed in the history of pro sports.

Frankl,y I'd not be shocked if someone doesn't get stupid and make one or the other the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 08, 2007, 09:17:25 AM

With so much cap space floating around and given that these players are young, all pro caliber players it will cost money.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 08, 2007, 09:29:37 AM

ADW and Dal, good points. We have cash but so do a lot of other teams. It will be tough to snag a guy like Briggs but it can be done. He likes our scheme, I'm sure of it and we have the money so those are 2 big points for us but what are we planning or will to do to get a guy like Briggs here. How does the FO feel about it? We will have to see. You could certainly see some team make a crazy offer for a guy like briggs that we won't compete with.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 08, 2007, 09:36:10 AM

Its hard to tell if the team will approach the off season looking to sign 2-3 quality players that will take up $20 m in cap space or will they try to sign a 6-9 young, average players for $20 m.  That is what we do not know as of right now.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 08, 2007, 09:40:20 AM

Its hard to tell if the team will approach the off season looking to sign 2-3 quality players that will take up $20 m in cap space or will they try to sign a 6-9 young, average players for $20 m. That is what we do not know as of right now.

Yeah exactly! For me, I would if we can get 2 studs, say Briggs and Samuel or Briggs and whoever I would prefer to go with the surefire young guy over 6 average guys that may or may not pan out. We have the money, spend it wisely on the "clothes that will make you look good". We need help and I feel we can't really roll the dice with this money, get the goods and get it done.

Baghead #2

BucfaninDC

Starter

#39 : January 08, 2007, 09:44:49 AM

ADW and Dal, good points. We have cash but so do a lot of other teams. It will be tough to snag a guy like Briggs but it can be done. He likes our scheme, I'm sure of it and we have the money so those are 2 big points for us but what are we planning or will to do to get a guy like Briggs here. How does the FO feel about it? We will have to see. You could certainly see some team make a crazy offer for a guy like briggs that we won't compete with.

Honestly, I don't think Briggs cares about any teams defensive scheme.  He fits well in Chicago obviously, but he still turned down nice money last offseason because he obviously wants to get PAID big time.  I think with him, highest bidder wins, no matter what team it is.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 08, 2007, 09:46:49 AM

Honestly, I don't think Briggs cares about any teams defensive scheme. He fits well in Chicago obviously, but he still turned down nice money last offseason because he obviously wants to get PAID big time. I think with him, highest bidder wins, no matter what team it is.

If that is the case expect Briggs and Clements to be Skins when the clock strikes midnight March 3rd.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 08, 2007, 09:53:55 AM

My fear is this. A lot of team have a ton of jack. say 10 teams like Briggs/Samuel. 9 of those teams make rational decisions about each player, and we are one of them, and 1 team falls in love and HAS to have the guy. All it takes is one crazy team to screw this whole thing up and since crazy likely has a lot of money this off-season it will be tough to be both rational and successful (if you define success as signing players).

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 08, 2007, 10:01:53 AM

Becuase of a whole bunch of teams having so much cap space it is possible that the Bucs target a lot of the young, average players early even though it would be ideal to obtain 2-3 quality players.  Becuase after the initial feeding frenzy is over with the top quality players the average players will be next.  And as a result a lot of the average players will obtain some absurd amount of money as a result.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#43 : January 08, 2007, 10:04:46 AM

the only problem with crazy money for a LB is that it will destroy the salary structure of a team. I think the NFL FO's although sometimes overspend we don't see that for a LB it gets too crazy.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#44 : January 08, 2007, 10:39:37 AM

the only problem with crazy money for a LB is that it will destroy the salary structure of a team. I think the NFL FO's although sometimes overspend we don't see that for a LB it gets too crazy.

When it comes to our defense we would be better off using the big money on a DL. I'm not talking about Freeney either. If we can't get Briggs we should use one of the 2nd rounders on a LB. We need somebody to pair with Ruud not named Brooks.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools