Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#45 : January 08, 2007, 10:48:36 AM

You you both are correct. I think some things absolutely have to tilt in our favor for us to land a player like Briggs because I also think that there will be that one wacko offer made by some team that will take us out of the bidding. Lets just hope that Briggs WANTS to come to tampa.

We could target numerous average young guys and I'm sure we will target both and play the hand as the cards fall. The FO has said that they will be shopping at the "good stores for the good clothes" so we will see. I agree though it will be tough sledding to get more than one bigtime FA. The Redskins have openly said they are targetting Clements so that will be an adventure in itself. How much room do the Skins have though? They just went bazerk in FA last year for the 19th straight year or whatever?

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 08, 2007, 10:52:22 AM

Skins have something aroun $1m in cap room but then they are habitually way, way over the cap and wind up singing big dollar deals so I guess alot of their cap hits are taken up with bogus high salary deals they can weasel out of.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 08, 2007, 11:09:37 AM

Skins have something aroun $1m in cap room but then they are habitually way, way over the cap and wind up singing big dollar deals so I guess alot of their cap hits are taken up with bogus high salary deals they can weasel out of.

Yeah you are right, forgot about that.

Baghead #2

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 08, 2007, 12:46:17 PM

Dalbuc, the Skins cap is something that has never been adequately explained anywhere, although you are correct that some of it is just bogus deals. That said, I think it's finally catching up on them a bit - they might be the thinnest team I've seen in years. An injury anywhere on the team is a big problem for them. And in fairness, they've only been that close to the cap the last 2 seasons. They, like the Bucs to an extent, were bailed out in a big way last year by the owners-players agreement. They were also bailed out by Coles (2 years ago) and Lavar basically forgoing some money in order to get the heck out of dodge.

I think they have some restructures they can do this year and they can also benefit from cutting Brunell. On the other hand, they are stuck with guys like Archuleta and Lloyd who are pretty much unable to be cut. I think Archuleta would hit them for $9 million or something if he's cut.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#49 : January 08, 2007, 12:49:53 PM

btw, I heard again the Freeney is going to be franchised (Peter King). I really don't see how that is possible absent some major restructures/cuts by the Colts. A franchise tag for a DE would have to put the Colts at least $3-5 million over the cap.  I can see the Colts signing him to a long term deal, and maybe the franchise tag will be a short term thing that will be used while they negotiate a deal. But actually having him play under the tag has got to hurt the Colts.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 08, 2007, 01:50:23 PM

Dalbuc, the Skins cap is something that has never been adequately explained anywhere, although you are correct that some of it is just bogus deals. That said, I think it's finally catching up on them a bit

I mean the king of the bogus cap figure was Bruce Allen out in OAK. They'd enter FA $25m over (and that was back when $25m was a lot of jack) and he'd cut 2-3 players that had silly salaries on the books they were never gonna pay and they'd be fine.

I really wish there was better information out there for cap figures on teams and players in a single location.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#51 : January 08, 2007, 01:58:48 PM

That's right about Allen and the Raiders, but it always seemed to be obvious where the cuts/restructures were going to come from on that team.

That's not been the case with the Skins. The way it has worked is that the national press says "Skins are going to get killed," and the Skins (and their awful fans) say that it's all a case of media bias/hatred etc. The local radio and print guys report the Skins side, but admit being anxious about it.

And in fairness, for the most part, the Skins have been right and the national press has been wrong, much to my chagrin.

I agree with you about the need for better information. They need a site dedicated to it for all us armchair GMs.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No Lance Briggs... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools