Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Damn you, McKay « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

skip

Starter

#15 : January 07, 2007, 10:17:15 PM

McKay laid the foundationwork for our super bowl team. Reynolds can spout off all he wants about how Gruden brought in players for the super bowl run. It was the McKay guys (Sapp, Lynch, Brooks ect..) that make it happen.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#16 : January 07, 2007, 10:19:14 PM

McKay laid the foundationwork for our super bowl team. Reynolds can spout off all he wants about how Gruden brought in players for the super bowl run. It was the McKay guys (Sapp, Lynch, Brooks ect..) that make it happen.

<yawn> Too predictable... hell McKay drafted Pinyatta Walker thats all you need to know.

#17 : January 07, 2007, 10:20:06 PM

Oh you mean the Sam Wyche guys? Son, that was before Wyche was canned and McKay took over the drafting process.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 07, 2007, 10:29:16 PM

Why do people forget Sam Wyche. Those three were taken when Wyche was in charge of drafting. Knowing McKay, he probably would have drafted some bust wideout.

skip

Starter

#19 : January 07, 2007, 10:55:00 PM

I'd love to bring back Mckay over our curreny guy Allen anyday.

#20 : January 07, 2007, 10:55:59 PM

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 07, 2007, 10:56:22 PM

McKay absolutely played a role in building the Super Bowl team and deserves every diamond in his ring. McKay laid the foundation with the defense, but Sam Wyche also played a big role in drafting Lynch, Brooks and Sapp as he was the head coach and director of football operations at the time. McKay gets a lot of props for drafting CBs Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly, and signing DE Simeon Rice and QB Brad Johnson, as well. McKay also deserves credit for going against his M.O. in free agency (which is to be very inactive) and sign a plethora of guys that Gruden wanted. Yes, Gruden wanted a slew of offensive players like Keenan McCardell, Joe Jurevicius, Michael Pittman, Roman Oben, etc., but McKay actually got them under contract.

And actually, it was the Gruden and McKay guys that made it happen in the Super Bowl year. Without Gruden's offense, Tampa Bay doesn't win the Super Bowl. The 2002 defensive unit was as good as the 1999 unit that couldn't make it to the Super Bowl because the offense couldn't score enough points.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#22 : January 07, 2007, 10:57:49 PM

And watch the Bucs fall into cap hell again, Never!!!

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 07, 2007, 10:58:08 PM

Wow skip you have lost it my friend. I would hunt down all of the Glazers if they hired McKay back. Allen has gotten us out of salary cap hell and so far he has drafted better than McKay. Do you not realize that this is the first year since 2000 that we don't have to restructure a contract or cut anyone for salary cap reasons. No matter what you say Allen deserves props for that.

#24 : January 07, 2007, 11:18:46 PM

Ask the Falcons how they like him so far?  Why is it that this McKay/Allen/Gruden debate always keeps coming back?  How about letting that die for a change?

Some may not like it or fully agree with it, but Allen and Gruden are here for one more year.  Like it, leave it or whatever.  I will say this, Allen and Gruden know full well that they are on thin ice at the moment.  If ever there is a more true year to scrutinize is the 2007 season for them.  Because if they fall short again for that then they will be out the door.

Does this mean they are our best option? I really don't know at this point.  Allen did do what he said he would with the cap, that IIRC, was the promise from when he first arrived.  The silver lining as pointed out is finally not being required to restructure (yuck) or cut people to get under the cap.  Sure sucked rocks to come up dead last, but maybe, just maybe we can come up with some good acquisitions for a change instead of retreads.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 08, 2007, 05:36:21 AM

Just about every time I watch the Eagles play, as much as I dislike them, I can't help but be upset with McKay for going against Gruden's wishes and drafting Marquise Walker instead of Brian Westbrook. Oh, well.

I honestly have no problem with it.  Sure Westbrook looks good now, but he's lucky to still be with the team that drafted him.  5 years in the league, and this is the 1st year he broke 1000 yards.  In 5 years he still has not played a complete season due to injuries.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 08, 2007, 07:20:51 AM

Just about every time I watch the Eagles play, as much as I dislike them, I can't help but be upset with McKay for going against Gruden's wishes and drafting Marquise Walker instead of Brian Westbrook. Oh, well.

I honestly have no problem with it.  Sure Westbrook looks good now, but he's lucky to still be with the team that drafted him.  5 years in the league, and this is the 1st year he broke 1000 yards.  In 5 years he still has not played a complete season due to injuries.

%50 agree
%50 disagree

Westbrook is a HUGE part of that offense and he is a playmaker. Sure, he only broke the 1K mark once, but he's a big part of their passing game also. Would I rather have him over Caddy? No... Would I rather have him over M Walker? Hell yeah, but when you have Pittman catching balls out of the backfield, that kind of makes up for things. I just wish it was Pittman that ran that 49 yard TD last night for our BUcs instead of Westbrook for them damn Eagles.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 08, 2007, 07:46:48 AM

McKay traded Walker for Jones, who is a 1000+ rusher/50+ catch guy had Gruden used him like the Bears did. 

Gruden then selected Clayton over Jackson, so Gruden has no room to complain about not having access to a star RB. 

Shag

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 08, 2007, 09:39:55 AM

we have our back in Cadillac Williams. It doesnt bother me so much anymore.

There are players in that draft that I would much rather have than Caddy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 08, 2007, 10:17:16 AM

we have our back in Cadillac Williams. It doesnt bother me so much anymore.

There are players in that draft that I would much rather have than Caddy.

Right now Jamaal Brown is looking like the best player from that draft who hasn't been suspended for steroids.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Damn you, McKay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools