Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Damn you, McKay « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#45 : January 08, 2007, 05:23:42 PM

Interesting post SR.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

#46 : January 08, 2007, 05:35:41 PM

Agreed.  Good post, SR.  I'm still confused as to why certain people (like J.P. Peterson) still pine for the McKay days...the above is classic McKay.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#47 : January 08, 2007, 05:53:16 PM

we have our back in Cadillac Williams. It doesnt bother me so much anymore.

There are players in that draft that I would much rather have than Caddy.

Right now Jamaal Brown is looking like the best player from that draft who hasn't been suspended for steroids.

Are you guys serious? Like, you guys can't be this dense.

Caddy WAS the Buccaneers last year. He WAS our offense. We won 5 or 6 games because of his ability to grind it out in the 4th. People say "oh, it was mostly the first 3 games." - This was a guy that averaged 4.1 YPG and 96 rushing per game down the stretch - all against division foes by the way. This year, he had some good games believe it or not. But our entire offense was anemic. Much of that comes from a shifting O-line that never really jelled in pre-season. I think the addition of Thomas and either picking up a guy like O'Hara or (only because I've heard he can play it) moving Davis there should fix much of that. And it should give Caddy the beef he needs to run again. if you actually watched the games this year, you'd see Caddy had absolutely no running room. I mean Barry Sanders would have struggled breaking 1,000 with our offense and schedule this year.

As good as J-Brown is, he's benefitting from a good line, good scheme, and a QB that releases the ball early. Shawne Merriman's very good of course, probably better than Caddy at this point - but not by much. I say Merriman's 1 and Caddy is 2 at this point.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 08, 2007, 06:55:50 PM

Gruden was miffed that Stephens couldn't catch a cold. He was dropping passes during mini-camp, training camp, preseason, etc. and was never heavily involved in the passing game at Tennessee. Gruden told McKay and Tim Ruskell that he needed a back who could catch the ball out of the backfield and they served up Stephens.

Replace "Tennessee" with "Auburn" and you just described Cadillac (except Caddy drops them during real games).

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 08, 2007, 07:04:26 PM

In Carnell's defense he is a better pass catcher than Travis but your point still stands.  Then again Westbrook tends to drop many passes often so I am not sure why he is considered a "good" pass catching back.  ???

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 08, 2007, 07:10:54 PM

Then again Westbrook tends to drop many passes often so I am not sure why he is considered a "good" pass catching back.  ???

Well, Westbrook has caught 260 passes in five seasons. That's over 50 receptions a season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 08, 2007, 07:12:32 PM

Westbrook is an elite pass catching back.  How can you dispute that?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 08, 2007, 07:14:45 PM

Best thing about Westbrook as a receiver is all the yardage he gets after the catch

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 08, 2007, 07:33:20 PM

Well, Westbrook has caught 260 passes in five seasons. That's over 50 receptions a season.

True but he plays for a pass happy offense that Reid runs (more pass happy with his ratio to run than Martz sometimes).

Westbrook is an elite pass catching back. How can you dispute that?

Do you still consider LJ elite? Funny I do not see LJ is elite threads poping up now. :D 

Best thing about Westbrook as a receiver is all the yardage he gets after the catch

That is easy to do when you are in an offense that is far more vertical than Gruden's and you are in all three downs a lot of times (especially on third and long situations).

Westbrook is like Galloway, TO or Steve Smith.  They make big plays but they have issues with the dropsies.  The only reason I suppose people like to attack Carnell for his hands is becuase he is not flashy like these guys.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Damn you, McKay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools