Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye vs Adams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#45 : January 08, 2007, 03:15:29 PM

Well he isn't a Sophomore and the NFL has made exceptions to that rule in the past. In this case his body type/ability is ahead of his peers and he deserves to play in the NFL despite his age. Sometimes age is just a number. Did I mention he's getting his degree this summer?

LOL...

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 08, 2007, 03:19:10 PM

Cerious Okoye is a great talent and he is an even better person. Wherever he goes he will be a great player on the field and in the community.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 08, 2007, 03:22:15 PM

Okoye's age scares me. 19 is just too young for the NFL. I don't care what his measureables are. He is basically a college freshman. His body will take a pounding in the pros, and may not properly develop to its maximum potential. I honestly think the brutality could stunt his growth. He is a boy among men.

He's played as much CFB as everyone else and he held up. I don't know what else you can measure him on since none of these other cats have played NFL guys before. He's big, well built. I mean think of how a LeBron James has NBA-ready body at 18 - and I know the NFL is a lot more physical obviously- but the point is how well developed physically he was more a player of his age. If Okoye can play amongst the other college kids we're looking at drafting him then we should look at drafting him.

Image the crazy jack this kid  can earn if he's good since he can play for 4 years under his rookie deal and be 23-24 when he earns his first big contract, we'll still have time to nail down a second big deal before he hits the magical 30 barrier.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

shall555

Starter

#48 : January 08, 2007, 03:43:25 PM

Well he isn't a Sophomore and the NFL has made exceptions to that rule in the past. In this case his body type/ability is ahead of his peers and he deserves to play in the NFL despite his age. Sometimes age is just a number. Did I mention he's getting his degree this summer?

LOL...

I don't have a problem with his age when it comes to maturity and academics. He is a genius. I just don't think there are too many, if any, successful 19 year olds that have come into the league. The track record isn't there, especially if you're spending a top 5 pick. That is a huge risk. There have been a lot of 20 year olds that have flopped in the league. Kenyatta being one of them. Hilliard was also 20 years old when he was drafted. His career has seen its share of ups and downs.

I like Okoye. Top 10? Sure. Top 3 or 4. Fk no. If they want him bad enough, trade down and pick up an extra 2nd. Then, I'd be satisfied with him. He does have tremendous upside and I could imagine rotating him during his rookie year to save his body. I just don't think his body is mature enough to be a full time starter in his rookie year.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#49 : January 08, 2007, 03:57:33 PM

Hmmm...

Kenyatta had all the physical abilities to be a very good OT, but it seems he either lacks the maturity or just isn't as tough mentally as the position calls for.

Hilliard has had a pretty decent career. It was side tracked from time to time due mainly to injury, but I don't think his age had anything to due with his career.

I don't really see what point you're after with those two examples. In Kenyatta's case maturity has been a factor, but you agree that Okoye is mature beyond his years. I don't see the correlation between age and success in Ike's case as he's had a decent career. As Dal pointed out, Okoye has been playing for four years now and he's banged with the best of them physically. If we agree that maturity isn't the problem and as we've pointed out physically he's way ahead of his peers and has played against older players and succeeded, what's the problem?

shall555

Starter

#50 : January 08, 2007, 04:15:09 PM

The comparisons to Kenyatta and Hilliard were more for age comparison, than anything else. I've never heard of a 19 year old entering the league, and there weren't too many 20 year olds, I could recall. I think the proper comparison should've been Dewayne Robertson. He was 20 years old when drafted and has not lived up to expectations, although he has been very productive, but not for a #4 pick overall. I'd rather trade for Robertson. He's still very young, hasn't peaked, and could finally blossom as Baby Sapp with the Bucs, and would not cost us a top 3-4 pick.

My main issue with Okoye is using our #1 pick on him. There are NO defensive prospects worth the top 3-4 picks. You could spout off Gaines Adams/Amobi Okoye all day,  but we'd be reaching on those guys. Neither will be Peppers or Sapp. We have defensive weaknesses that could be filled in FA, and I think GruAllen are satisfied enough with the Wyms/Haye combo to overlook Okoye. He's not a UT anyway. He's built more like a NT, so this whole debate is moot.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#51 : January 08, 2007, 04:20:46 PM

I understand where you're coming from as far as using our #1 pick on Okoye.

However, I can't make out whether you're concerned withhis age because of his physicality or his maturity. I think myself and a few others have pointed out reason for why he should succeed in both areas. There may not be an impact UT in this years draft, but this guy is probably the closest thing to it, his upside is just too tremendous.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 08, 2007, 04:47:43 PM

Okoye is lean and weighs over 300 lbs. He will test off the charts at the combine. I see where you are coming from as well shalla, I do. Okoye has simply dominated every matchup for the entire year, every game, he can play and will be a force in the NFL.

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#53 : January 08, 2007, 05:56:21 PM

I understand where you're coming from as far as using our #1 pick on Okoye.

However, I can't make out whether you're concerned withhis age because of his physicality or his maturity. I think myself and a few others have pointed out reason for why he should succeed in both areas. There may not be an impact UT in this years draft, but this guy is probably the closest thing to it, his upside is just too tremendous.

My issue with him was his physicality. Maturity is not an issue. He has that in spades. Can a 19 year old withstand prolonged beating from men? After reading that he's started for 4 years, I see that durability is not an issue.

I'd draft him anywhere in the 1st, except for where we pick. If we were in the 6-10 range. I'd be all over him. Top 3-4 is a different matter.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#54 : January 08, 2007, 06:04:57 PM

Dorsey is in the mix as well if he declares.  Lots of good defensive players will be there at the top of the second round.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 08, 2007, 07:04:46 PM

Bradentonian not a bad idea. I don't know what the hell to think at this point. We need to get thru with free agency first and see where we need to go in the draft. I am with you though on getting some defensive help, absolutely with ya.

Great Point Cville. All this draft talk is a little moot at this point before we even know who has left/joined us in FA.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#56 : January 08, 2007, 07:12:57 PM

I like Okoye. Top 10? Sure. Top 3 or 4. Fk no. If they want him bad enough, trade down and pick up an extra 2nd. Then, I'd be satisfied with him. He does have tremendous upside and I could imagine rotating him during his rookie year to save his body. I just don't think his body is mature enough to be a full time starter in his rookie year.

Thats a really interesting, and plausible scenario. Say we lose the coin toss and pick at #4, and that Quinn, CJ and JT have gone, what do we do? Either we take JaMarcus (I'd assume) or draft down, as the only other prospect that I think you could justify with the #4 pick is Adrian Peterson, who we're not going to draft because of Caddy. Therefore, it would make sense to trade down to a slot where we could trade down to, say, Green Bay at #16, a team who need a RB, who would gladly have Peterson.

All very very hypothetical I know but its an intriguing scenario nonetheless.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye vs Adams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools