Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons hire Bobby Petrino! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #15 : January 07, 2007, 09:47:35 PM »

Ok.. so the Falcons have hired a competent coach... so now the NFC South has 3 of them.

Not so fast.  History has proven that college success and NFL success are two different things.  Most big time college coaches fall flat on their faces.  This guy also runs an offense that might get his QB killed in the NFL like Steve Spurrier.  Honestly I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by this.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 07, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »

Name one college coach that jumped to the NFL that did well. Butch Davis, Spurrier, Saban, Carroll all bombed as NFL coaches but where great college coaches. I dont think Petrino will be any different...

Itch its all over ESPN news, bottom corner....

Baghead #2

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 07, 2007, 09:50:53 PM »

Maybe it was Blank, though, that did the hiring and told McKay to get it done. Just speculating, but after the Mora debacle, I'm thinking Blank was more hands-on with this decision.

« #18 : January 07, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

Name one college coach that jumped to the NFL that did well. Butch Davis, Spurrier, Saban, Carroll all bombed as NFL coaches but where great college coaches. I dont think Petrino will be any different...

Well if I must....Tom Coughlin went from BC to J-Ville correct?

« #19 : January 07, 2007, 09:52:53 PM »

Jimmy Johnson comes to mind.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 07, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

Good one! He did in fact!!! Same for Jimmy jo!

Historically though there are many more that fail than that succeed. IMHO you can take a pro coach and make him a competant to good college coach but its much more difficult the other way around.

Baghead #2

gone

Hall of Famer
« #21 : January 07, 2007, 09:59:39 PM »

Maybe it was Blank, though, that did the hiring and told McKay to get it done. Just speculating, but after the Mora debacle, I'm thinking Blank was more hands-on with this decision.

Blank was involved in the Mora hiring, it wasn't all McKay.  GM's are granted varying degrees of latitude, but almost no GM in the league just hires/fires coaches without owner consultation/approval.  McKay gets far more discretion in personnell decisions than he's ever warranted, but he isn't just picking coaches himself.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 07, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »

This is good news for the Bucs and great news for the USF Bulls!

Great start to the offseason!

« #23 : January 07, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »

This is good news for the Bucs and great news for the USF Bulls!

Great start to the offseason!
Hadn't thought of that, I suppose his brother (the OC @ Lous.) will take over?

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #24 : January 07, 2007, 11:11:51 PM »

Great news.  I knew McKay wouldn't hire anyone from the Pro ranks who wouldn't be a puppet.  The odds are not good for college coaches jumping to the NFL for quite some time now.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #25 : January 08, 2007, 01:53:02 AM »

MCKAY WOULD NEVER HIRE ANYONE TO OUTSHINE HIM...CAMERON FROM SD WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD HIRE....BUT HE WOULD OUTSHINE MCKAY REAL FAST.

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

« #26 : January 08, 2007, 05:09:56 AM »

MCKAY WOULD NEVER HIRE ANYONE TO OUTSHINE HIM...CAMERON FROM SD WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD HIRE....BUT HE WOULD OUTSHINE MCKAY REAL FAST.

Well what can you say.........the guy runs a very good college offense, they chuck the duck and run the ball fairly well.   But this guy is a Strong Personality also...........can't wait for the in-fighting to start.

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.

« #27 : January 08, 2007, 08:51:28 AM »

Jimmy Johnson, definitely.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #28 : January 08, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »

Petrino is an interesting hire.

I'm not sure that a guy who's offense is predicated on a lot of QB passing is the way to go for the Falcons, especially a guy with a lot of short accurate passes built into his offense. I thought they'd be looking for someone with a more of a power run-deep ball orientation

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #29 : January 08, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »

Yes I know, which is why i think that vick will be moved, I really do. I know petrinos offense, I see it practically every weekend here in louisville and its not made for Vick. Now, maybe petrino can adj things, I don't know, but Vick will struggle in Petrinos offense as was in Louisville.

Baghead #2
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons hire Bobby Petrino! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools