Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons hire Bobby Petrino! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #30 : January 08, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »

Yes I know, which is why i think that vick will be moved, I really do. I know petrinos offense, I see it practically every weekend here in louisville and its not made for Vick. Now, maybe petrino can adj things, I don't know, but Vick will struggle in Petrinos offense as was in Louisville.

I've seen L'ville a few times and they don't have the UT from last year or WVU this year type offense. I starting thinking about it and I thought maybe they went college ranks to get some of that type of thinking but Petrino doesn't seem to do that from what I've seen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #31 : January 08, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »

I do not think the Falcons have the personnel to run the offense that Petrino wants to run.  Defensively they have two corners that can play on an island and they have a pass rushing D-line with LB's that can blitz.  Even though the Falcons organization has made an emphasis in shoring up the defense this coming off season the reality is the Falcons defense is in better shape.  Petrino has a lot of work to impliment the offense he wants to run (especialy with the WR situation in Atlanta).

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #32 : January 08, 2007, 09:16:20 AM »

I've seen L'ville a few times and they don't have the UT from last year or WVU this year type offense. I starting thinking about it and I thought maybe they went college ranks to get some of that type of thinking but Petrino doesn't seem to do that from what I've seen.

This is a hilarious hire because it's going to take Vick another 3-4 years to not feel comfrotable in this offense. Remember Mora Jr's Vickcuse, "the WCO is learned from the inside out with the outside passing game coming to form last." He really said this and made fall on the ground laughing.

If you've watched BP's offense crossing routes are constantly called, have you ever seen Vick throw a crossing route? Hell no because it takes anticipation and accuracy which we all know Vick's awful at.

Another reason is Vick takes 3 years to learn an offense, any offense. I love it!  

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #33 : January 08, 2007, 09:19:48 AM »

Dal, ADW yeah Petrino has a tough task and if he plan on implementing his UL offense in Atlanta he is going to have a hell of a time with Vick at the helm. I can honestly see them moving on Brohm. I think Brohm goes after this move by petrino and I think that Petrino (in an ideal world) would like to get Brohm and he could be on the board when they pick.

ADW, it will be different for petrino. He will have what he had this year with Bush hurt in Dunn and Norwood compared with Strickland and Smith (smaller speed guys) I think Petrino likes that thumper back and he likes to throw and PA off that. Not sure how Norwood and Dunn will fit in. I don't see them being as effective. I think their OL will struggle mightily pass blocking as well. It will be frustrating for Petrino IMHO and its an early prediction but I think they will move vick with Petrino in there to run his offense.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #34 : January 08, 2007, 09:22:41 AM »

Petrino has a lot of work to impliment the offense he wants to run (especialy with the WR situation in Atlanta).

See that spread offense to me places a lower premium on WR's than most to me. I look back to HOU when they had  a high powered pass attack with Ernest Givens, Haywood Jefferies, Drew Hill and a cast of other dudes you don't know. Equally I think NE has gotten by with a lot of second tier type WR's over the past few years in their attack and been able to function. They might have picked the right type of offense since what they seem to have is a load of #2 WR's and no real #1.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #35 : January 08, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »

I think their WR's are ok. Jenkins is a Uritia type, possession guy that would run the digs and crossing routes well and White is more of a vertical guy, Crumpler could be a factor as well. I think their OL will hinder the production IMHO.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #36 : January 08, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »

I think their WR's are ok. Jenkins is a Uritia type, possession guy that would run the digs and crossing routes well and White is more of a vertical guy, Crumpler could be a factor as well. I think their OL will hinder the production IMHO.

Do they do the zone blocking stuff in their run game?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #37 : January 08, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »

I do not think the Falcons have enough average WR's or #2 WR on their roster to run a spread offense.  When Paris Warren would be a better fit for Petrino's offense than any of their Falcons WR's Petrino has a lot of work ahead of him.

BucfaninDC

Starter

« #38 : January 08, 2007, 09:31:27 AM »

Personally, I'm very suprised by the hire. Does Petrino have any pro experience?

Yes, he has been the QB coach and OC for the Jaguars.  Brunnell had his best 3 seasons under Petrino, and one of those years they went 14-2 and made it to the AFCC game.  

I also heard on Mike&Mike that Petrino stated the QB spot is open competition in camp.  

Atlanta definitely improved their HC position.  

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #39 : January 08, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »

Do they do the zone blocking stuff in their run game?

They do run zone scheme and power lead plays. Petrino does a little bit of both, they run sweeps, zone, leads. Petrino is a great Offensive mind. Do I think that Norwood and Dunn will be as effective as they were under Mora, no. I think that the biggest thing Petrino will face will be what spurrier faced, lack of pass blocking and time to execute the way he could on the college level. Petrino does a lot of layed pass plays, meaning an underneath drag or dig with a post or deep drag behind it with a vertical route outside, opposite side.

Baghead #2

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

« #40 : January 08, 2007, 09:35:39 AM »

This almost certainly spells the end of Vick in Atl.  They have the offensive pieces with Schaub, Crumpler, White, Jenkins, and the two tailbacks with Petrino as the coach. 

Would anyone be shocked with a Vick to Oak trade?

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #41 : January 08, 2007, 09:37:18 AM »

This is not good news...they might just be a contender next year, Petrino has one hell of a record...

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #42 : January 08, 2007, 09:52:53 AM »

People what is all this talk about Vick leaving Atl. The falcons can't cut him or trade him because his cap hit would be near $30 milllion. The only thing they can do is to ask Vick to switch positions or something like that other wise they could bench him. Vick is on Atlanta's roster for at least the next 2 season barring a restructure.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #43 : January 08, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »

USF has a chance to jump up in the Big East pecking order now too, good hire for the city of Tampa in general

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #44 : January 08, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »

I'm not that big a Petrino fan, but I think the hire could have been worse from the Falcons perspective. I think the NFL experience, even if limited, is important.

As for coaches that went straight to the pros without any pro background and were successful, I can only think of 2 - Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, and I'd argue that was simply dumb luck on the part of Switzer. I thought maybe Vermeil, but he was with the Rams before he went to UCLA.

Coughlin spent a decade as a pro coach - Philly, Green Bay, and NYG - before he went back to BC.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons hire Bobby Petrino! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools