Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp on Penn and Monte « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

fishman

Starter

#30 : December 04, 2008, 07:19:15 AM

This is a very interesting thread. While I agree that Warren is self centered, he's also highly intelligent, very honest and was one hell of a football player. If you recall the Bucs kept Booger McFarland because we thought he was our future on the defensive line. Great call - by the way, I saw Booger at 7-11 yesterday selling slurpees. This thread would suggest that recommendation to dump Sapp/keep McFarland came from Monte. It would explain, in small part, why Sapp doesn't like Monte. Yes, Sapp was in the declining years of his career but he had some surprisingly good years in Oakland as did Lynch in Denver. I'm particularly interested in the comment about the defensive scheming that Sapp made to Brooks. It suggested they didn't trust his play calling. I've never heard an allegation along those lines from a current/former player under Monte. It could be bitterness or it could be legitimate. And I wonder if anyone else picked up on this and will ask current players about their thoughts??? Especially considering Monte maybe leaving soon. This is just the type of controversy the team doesn't want right now. This also explains why Sapp probably didn't retire as a Buccaneer. Clearly there is bad blood between him and Monte.

And Shivver - this gives more life to your opinion now doesn't it? you should copy this thread into your thread. And to think, many people told you to delete your thread!!! Ha.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 04, 2008, 08:52:35 AM

interesting

If only all Buc fans knew it was Monte's decision to get rid of Lynch/Sapp and not Gruden's they would have a different opinion of both
As far as I'm concerned the Bucs weren't winning the Super Bowl in 2004 with Sapp and Lynch, and probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs, so that whole incident is entirely overblown for Allen, Gruden, Kiffin, or whoever.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 04, 2008, 09:01:02 AM

Â   Sounds like a case of the pot (Sapp) calling the kettle (Kiffin) black to me  ;D. Sapp's ego is well known in NFL circles. His bad attitude toward keeping in shape contributed greatly toward his decline. Not surprising Kiffin had the final say on the defensive side of the ball regarding specific players. Gruden surely controls the # of personnel though.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 04, 2008, 09:13:35 AM

I'm particularly interested in the comment about the defensive scheming that Sapp made to Brooks. It suggested they didn't trust his play calling. I've never heard an allegation along those lines from a current/former player under Monte. It could be bitterness or it could be legitimate. And I wonder if anyone else picked up on this and will ask current players about their thoughts???

I'm sure if Brooks commented on this particular tidbit (which he probably wouldn't) and on his view of Monte Kiffin in general, it would be a complete 180 degree take from Warren Sapp's...

fishman

Starter

#34 : December 04, 2008, 09:39:07 AM

i wouldnt expect Brooks to agree with Sapp. Brooks is going to evade a questions like this. But there are others to ask like Barber and possibly other former players like Lynch. It becomes especially interesting now since Monte might leave for Tennessee. The story is an intriguing one. But then again, Sapp has had no problems creating headlines since being retired. Personally, I love the story he told about Keyshawn complaining to Simms about how his passes spinned when he dropped the ball. That makes me think, while although he's bitter about some things, he's not lying about Monte.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 04, 2008, 09:47:16 AM

Personally, I love the story he told about Keyshawn complaining to Simms about how his passes spinned when he dropped the ball. That makes me think, while although he's bitter about some things, he's not lying about Monte.

He also went off on Keyshawn during the show, calling him a derogatory name...then coming back the next week with an apology and wishing Keyshawn all the best...Let's just say I don't think the show's producers are discouraging the weekly crazy rant from Warren Sapp...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 04, 2008, 09:53:35 AM

What did Sapp say about Penn?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 04, 2008, 09:59:35 AM

Personally, I love the story he told about Keyshawn complaining to Simms about how his passes spinned when he dropped the ball. That makes me think, while although he's bitter about some things, he's not lying about Monte.

He also went off on Keyshawn during the show, calling him a derogatory name...then coming back the next week with an apology and wishing Keyshawn all the best...Let's just say I don't think the show's producers are discouraging the weekly crazy rant from Warren Sapp...
I think there was some sort of follow up where Sapp's mom said he shouldn't be so mean to a former teammate so he backed off.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 04, 2008, 10:00:09 AM

It was a segment called unsung hero's and Sapp mentioned Penn and the fact that he has been a beast at LT for this team. Simms then said "I agree Warren, you told me about him 6 weeks ago and I've been paying attention" Then he crought up the fact that Penn stopped Ware's consecutive sack streak

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 04, 2008, 10:04:41 AM

Cool.  Glad to see Penn get some National credit.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#40 : December 04, 2008, 10:18:27 AM

I don't agree with the logic here. Just because Sapp said something about Keyshawn, that may or may not be true or exaggerated, how does that make these comments about Monte seem more believable?

Further, I don't get where he is coming from saying that Monte has given no love to his horses. I have heard and read Monte gushing about his players.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

headlines

Rookie

#41 : December 04, 2008, 10:36:24 AM

I met kiff the year  after we won the superbowl and it was the complete opposite of what sapp said i was literally going gaga to meet him and he was appologizing to me and the rest of the fans for the defense slipping a bit that year he sat down talked with me and my buddys for like 45 min and just chilled with us and all he kept sayin  over and over again " im so sorry guys we'll do better for you you deserve better " screw sapp

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 04, 2008, 11:17:55 AM

When Sapp is asked tough questions, the man answers what is in his heart...

I'm not taking sides, but what he said, he obviously believes.

I love them both (Sapp and Kif), so hopefully this doesn't turn into something unpleasant for the organization.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 04, 2008, 11:20:37 AM

ps

I got Sapp's autograph before a packer/bucs game a few years back and he was not a jerk, but even asked me what a buc fan is doing in GB with a big old smile on his face...  I happened to be the only guy wearing a BUC jersey in the area at the time.  He signed my rookie card, neatly I might add, and said stay warm and walked away.

I liked the dude, must have caught him in a good moment...

Edited for mistake.  I said it was Caddy's rookie season, but after going back and checking, it was 2000, that damn game we blew with Gramatica's missed 35 yard field goal...  Lost that stupid game in overtime and I never heard the end of it from the packer fans I went with...  Man, does time go fast or what?  Bad memories...

DavyJonesLocker

Starter

#44 : December 04, 2008, 11:30:42 AM

It was a segment called unsung hero's and Sapp mentioned Penn and the fact that he has been a beast at LT for this team. Simms then said "I agree Warren, you told me about him 6 weeks ago and I've been paying attention" Then he crought up the fact that Penn stopped Ware's consecutive sack streak
Did a search for Donald Penn to see what people were saying about him at the time Luke went down....found these. Seems he had some detractors, but for the most part got the love he deserved.

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=14921.0

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=15157.0

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp on Penn and Monte « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools