Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking Down the Defense « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: January 08, 2007, 10:59:08 AM

Interesting stats here from: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/premium/beta/allTeamsByDown.php

Our defense, where'd it get beat this year? 1st down. He had 31st ranked defense on first down in the league.

What is odd, and a bit at odds with what we saw or thought we saw, the 3rd down defense in 3rd and long and mid ranges were both top 10 efforts and where we got killed was 3rd and short.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 08, 2007, 11:11:09 AM

Interesting, nice find!

That 1st down is important because that sets the series and we did struggle on 1st which puts you behind the 8 ball in terms of predictability of the offense. Is it run or pass?

Baghead #2

bklynbucs11

Starter

#2 : January 08, 2007, 11:14:38 AM

Interesting stats here from: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/premium/beta/allTeamsByDown.php

Our defense, where'd it get beat this year? 1st down. He had 31st ranked defense on first down in the league.

What is odd, and a bit at odds with what we saw or thought we saw, the 3rd down defense in 3rd and long and mid ranges were both top 10 efforts and where we got killed was 3rd and short.

This isn't that big of a surprise. Most of it has to do with personnel substitution. Hovan is our best run-stuffer but he's out on passing downs. Wyms is too small to play the run effectively. Since we don't have a permanent fix - teams can react based on our personnel. If Wyms is in there, delays can work. If its the Hovan & Haye package lets say - then you can throw.

This is essentially  the problem of rotating defense like ours without a permanent fixture. Teams can adjust the playcall and exploit weaknesses. This is why we need The Sapp back or someone the equivalent thereof. You'll notice the best defenses have permanent fixtures at the DT spot - guys lik Harris, Henderson, Ngata, etc. We need someone like that again.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 08, 2007, 11:18:06 AM

Interesting, nice find!

That 1st down is important because that sets the series and we did struggle on 1st which puts you behind the 8 ball in terms of predictability of the offense. Is it run or pass?

It is both. I wish they had it further broken down to run/pass but they don't.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 08, 2007, 11:20:21 AM

Those are some good stats do dive into.

What's interesting is the Bucs are 10th in all 3rd down plays. Makes you scratch your head because we saw a ton of 7-8-9 minute drives. Looking further it's telling because the Bucs are 31st on all 1st downs, 26th on 2nd and long, and 28th on 3rd and short. It wasn't 3rd down that was killing this defense.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 08, 2007, 11:25:05 AM

Good point keep, you look at that we got got killed 1st and 10, 2nd and middle so teams didn't get to 3rd down a whole ton in order to sustain drives.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 08, 2007, 11:36:15 AM

that really is interesting and foof for thought.  why do you think Booger is doing better at Indy?  I'm wondering if it's that he doesn't want to let Tony down and is putting in the extra whatever.  he didn't look too bad this weekend.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 08, 2007, 11:38:51 AM

why do you think Booger is doing better at Indy?

I don't think he is doing better.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 08, 2007, 11:41:55 AM

Regarding the colts, they play the run fairly well esp as of late at home. We will see what happens on the road. The road has been a nightmare for the colts run defense lately...

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 08, 2007, 11:44:32 AM

that really is interesting and foof for thought. why do you think Booger is doing better at Indy? I'm wondering if it's that he doesn't want to let Tony down and is putting in the extra whatever. he didn't look too bad this weekend.

If the first game you watched was yesterday's game I can see how you'd think he's doing better. Having watched 3-4 other Colts games I can tell you it's not the case.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 08, 2007, 11:44:53 AM

that really is interesting and foof for thought.  why do you think Booger is doing better at Indy?  I'm wondering if it's that he doesn't want to let Tony down and is putting in the extra whatever.  he didn't look too bad this weekend.

I'd dispute he's done much but any gain he's had is that he's back at NT and not UT. McF wasn't awful at NT because he's not asked to be a playmaker but we paid him to be a UT and paid him like a UT and that is soemthing he really isn't 90% of the time.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking Down the Defense « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools