Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson Declares « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Bucmaniac86

Pro Bowler

« #15 : January 08, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »

This is great news for us buc fans I would say Johnson is more of a GREAT 2nd option for us, witn Joe Thomas being number 1, but for those who say stuff about our defense I have this to say to them FA and we have 24+mil and we will spend that majority on Defense

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 08, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »

Great news for the buc fans. Ensures us to get Joe Thomas,Gaines Adams or Clavin Johnson.
This is what people are missing. Oakland is a virtual lock to take Russell, Detroit will take Gaines, and then the fun begins.

Buddy I don't know, Quinn will be hard to pass up. They passed on Leinart and Cutler last year and took Sims. I Think it goes 1-2 with QB's being the 1st 2 picks. Just my .02

Baghead #2

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #17 : January 08, 2007, 12:39:23 PM »

Even though I want Joe Thomas, I realize that CJ is far and away the best overall player in this draft, easily the best WR prospect of all time and maybe one of the best overall prospects ever. I don't know if we can pass on that kind of potential. Like, best WR EVER potential.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #18 : January 08, 2007, 12:39:41 PM »

This is great news for us buc fans I would say Johnson is more of a GREAT 2nd option for us, witn Joe Thomas being number 1, but for those who say stuff about our defense I have this to say to them FA and we have 24+mil and we will spend that majority on Defense

I agree with you on that as well.

Baghead #2

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #19 : January 08, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »

Truth.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 08, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »

Even though I want Joe Thomas, I realize that CJ is far and away the best overall player in this draft, easily the best WR prospect of all time and maybe one of the best overall prospects ever. I don't know if we can pass on that kind of potential. Like, best WR EVER potential.

Well have no fear I think he will be on the board so stay tuned! Hopefully still on the board  :-[

Baghead #2

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #21 : January 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »

Well have no fear I think he will be on the board so stay tuned! Hopefully still on the board :-[

We'll have our choice of at least a couple of really really really good players, at the very least.

« #22 : January 08, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »

Great news for the buc fans. Ensures us to get Joe Thomas,Gaines Adams or Clavin Johnson.
This is what people are missing. Oakland is a virtual lock to take Russell, Detroit will take Gaines, and then the fun begins.

Buddy I don't know, Quinn will be hard to pass up. They passed on Leinart and Cutler last year and took Sims. I Think it goes 1-2 with QB's being the 1st 2 picks. Just my .02
Detroit COULD take Quinn but I heard they like Orlovsky, plus they need some DE help.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #23 : January 08, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »

magicfan, exactly, hard to not be optimistic and excited about this draft. The combine is a little over a month away. The senior bowl is coming up. I'm ready!

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #24 : January 08, 2007, 12:45:22 PM »

Detroit COULD take Quinn but I heard they like Orlovsky, plus they need some DE help.

MBF you are right, they need DE help but Martz needs that QB and if you have a franchise guy available (regardless of what we think Quinn will be viewed as that) and you have Kitna and an unknown in Orlovsky you have to take Quinn IMHO. Plus lets not forget about the possibility of the Lions having interest in Rice. I have heard they like Kalimba Edwards, that would give them Rice and Edwards at DE...

Baghead #2

Scholty

Pro Bowler

« #25 : January 08, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »

Since there are no defensive players worthy of being picked so high I'm sure we would find someone willing to trade up and pick up several extra picks... this years no.1, next years 1. and a second rounder from this year would be an interesting proposition... <grin>  we have to many needs at to many positions...

Now, obviously this is only possible if someone is actually WILLING to do so...  Otherwise pick up Joe Thomas.  QB needs time to throw.  No time = no matter what the WR does... ball will never get there...

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

« #26 : January 08, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »

MBF you are right, they need DE help but Martz needs that QB and if you have a franchise guy available (regardless of what we think Quinn will be viewed as that) and you have Kitna and an unknown in Orlovsky you have to take Quinn IMHO. Plus lets not forget about the possibility of the Lions having interest in Rice. I have heard they like Kalimba Edwards, that would give them Rice and Edwards at DE...
I think Gaines and Quinn are their two main targets. Here is what PFW said on the matter:

The Lions remain tied for the worst record in the NFL, giving them an inside track at the No. 1 overall pick in next April’s draft. Although Detroit appears to be in dire need of a franchise quaterback, the way we hear it, Brady Quinn is no lock to be the Lions’ top target. After all, the team had an opportunity a year ago to select either Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler but opted for LB Ernie Sims with the ninth overall pick. The decision reflected Rod Marinelli’s defensive focus, and with another early first-round pick coming his way, we’re told not to disregard his fundamental philosophy that a team is built around its lines on both sides of the ball. Thus, even though Quinn may be regarded as the best quarterback on the board, Wisconsin OLT Joe Thomas or an elite pass rusher, perhaps Clemson DE Gaines Adams, may draw attention from the Lions, who’ve been beaten repeatedly on both sides of the line of scrimmage in a sixth straight losing season.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 08, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »

We will? Have you been sitting in on the FO meetings?

Just about every year there's a WR prospect that has been the best to come out for however long. But name me one that has elevated a team with OL problems and no pass rush to Super Bowl level?

If CJ could block Julius Peppers or Will Smith, then I'd agree with picking him...

If CJ could apply enough pressure to force Drew Brees or Jake Delhomme into throwing INT's, then I'd agree with picking him...

But he can't, so I don't.

Unless you're right about the FA period, which right now there is now way of knowing..

A) What Gruden's plans are...

or

B) If the D players we target even want to play in Tampa..

Too much uncertainty..

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #28 : January 08, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »

Don't worry... KeepOnBucN'. Just because the fans are dumb enough to want to continue ignoring the defense just to draft ANOTHER first day receiver doesn't mean the Front Office will...
Add me to the list of "dumb fans" then! Besides Gaines there is no defensive player worth taking where we will pick, and with FA being loaded on defense, we can afford to draft BPA in R1.

MBF PERFECT post.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #29 : January 08, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »

I think Gaines and Quinn are their two main targets. Here is what PFW said on the matter:

The Lions remain tied for the worst record in the NFL, giving them an inside track at the No. 1 overall pick in next April’s draft. Although Detroit appears to be in dire need of a franchise quaterback, the way we hear it, Brady Quinn is no lock to be the Lions’ top target. After all, the team had an opportunity a year ago to select either Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler but opted for LB Ernie Sims with the ninth overall pick. The decision reflected Rod Marinelli’s defensive focus, and with another early first-round pick coming his way, we’re told not to disregard his fundamental philosophy that a team is built around its lines on both sides of the ball. Thus, even though Quinn may be regarded as the best quarterback on the board, Wisconsin OLT Joe Thomas or an elite pass rusher, perhaps Clemson DE Gaines Adams, may draw attention from the Lions, who’ve been beaten repeatedly on both sides of the line of scrimmage in a sixth straight losing season.

That sounds about right to me!

Best case scenario, we give them Rice for Rodgers or a pick (hopefully Rodgers). That takes their DE need away. Then they take Thomas which sux but we get a stud DT in Rodgers and it would open the door for us to take Calvin Johnson or Gaines Adams. It think I like the idea of having the choice between Johnson and Thomas more than Johnson and Adams, but that is just me. Who the hell knows...

If that happened I just don't know what we would do about that OL, would we stay pat??? I don't know what we would do.

Baghead #2
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson Declares « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools