Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL names finalists to "host" overseas game in 2007 « previous next »
Page: 1

Scurvy

Practice Squad

: January 08, 2007, 05:49:09 PM

NEW YORK (Jan. 8, 2007) -- San Francisco, Seattle and Miami were among six NFL teams selected as potential home teams for a regular-season game next year in Britain or Germany.

The other teams that could "host" the game are Buffalo, Kansas City and New Orleans. The league also narrowed the sites for the game, eliminating Canada and Mexico for this year.

The opponent for one of the teams will be announced during Super Bowl week, but will not necessarily be one of the five not picked as the home team.

Last October, league owners approved a plan to play annual games in Europe, Canada and Mexico. The league emphasized it would choose the competitors as part of the scheduling process, not by a team decision.

The first regular-season game outside the United States was played in Mexico City in 2005 between the Cardinals and 49ers, drawing a crowd of 103,467 -- the largest for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The site of next season's game is expected to be announced on Jan. 16.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9915859

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#1 : January 08, 2007, 06:51:42 PM

Hopefully it is not us.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 08, 2007, 09:40:45 PM

Hopefully it is. I would LOVE it if the Bucs came over here to England to play one game. That would be the best chance I'd ever get to see them live.

Conversely, I can imagine what a pain in the a$$ it would be for the players.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 08, 2007, 09:49:29 PM

Not a bad idea for those Germany and England to get a real game instead of the crappy NFL Europe.  NFL teams won't even send the scrubs to that league.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 09, 2007, 12:24:04 AM

This is a bad idea.   Sure the NFL is short of revenue (snicker) but I think the Bucs should play all games at Floyd Casey Stadium and charge $15 for tickets before crossing the pond.   This isn't the IFL.  Keep football in the USA.

#5 : January 09, 2007, 12:27:21 AM

Hopefully it is. I would LOVE it if the Bucs came over here to England to play one game. That would be the best chance I'd ever get to see them live.

There are dozens of flights from the UK to Florida each day, and some really cheap deals.  There is absolutely no good reason why you couldn't take a vacation over here and catch a game.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2007, 04:20:15 PM

Hope its the Saints!!!

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2007, 05:18:17 PM

I think it would be pretty ironic to send America's Team (hahahahahaha yea right) The Cowgirls and some crappy rival like the Redskins south of the border....they would be jumping the fence...to LEAVE....Paid in full by the Association for the Destruction of the Redskins-Cowboys

wiggumdk

Starter

#8 : January 10, 2007, 12:27:55 PM

No matter how much you kick and scream the NFL is bend on spreading the joy of American Football around the globe. And why not? We are talking about ONE game and what difference does that make?

I'm happy that the ownership of the NFL is not narrowminded on this subject. This is a building block in making American football a worldwide sport and the potential for revenues and profit could be huge.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL names finalists to "host" overseas game in 2007 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools