Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A twist in coach hiring!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : January 09, 2007, 01:50:15 PM

They let Warner interview?

I was pretty surprised by that as well.

I you guys happened to see Huizenga's(sp) press conf. when Saban left, he told the reporters that if any of them had any suggestions about a new coach, he welcomed their input, both positive and negative. He was open to any ideas.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 09, 2007, 02:05:09 PM

I hope my man Tomlin gets it...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 09, 2007, 02:06:53 PM

I think it's a good idea. hell, anything's better than what the owners have picked over the past oh 15 years. They're trying anything.

gone

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 09, 2007, 03:31:49 PM

Actually this is a growing trend in businesses across the spectrum.  Many companies ask current employees to interview candidates that are being brought in, even candidates that may directly or indirectly supervise/rank them.  I've done it myself, my wife has done it three times in the last year.  I think the idea is twofold: first, since the people who are currently working there know more about the company and it's particular approach to business and it's daily functioning, they can catch red flags in someone's knowledge.  Second, it helps to see if someone will fit into the culture there, if people can get along with them.  While the first may not be as appropriate for football as opposed to other businesses, the second is just as appropriate in the NFL as anywhere else. 
Neither is as important when the candidate is essentialy the "CEO", but it still helps.  If all the players have an instant issue with a candidate, you have to weigh that in...

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 09, 2007, 08:28:18 PM

I doubt that Bidwill allows the players to pick the coach, but I have to say applaud the "outside the box" thinking if he truly takes his key players feelings into account. That franchise has been so bad for so long, a slightly different approach to selecting a head coach is almost warranted..

i think its a good move too.  whats wrong with letting the established team vets have some input in the hire?  they dont make the ultimate decision but they could offer a unique perspective.  i've often wondered why other teams dont do that more with FA signings and important draft picks too.  i'm not saying the glazers should have allstot, brooks and barber break down film on potential players, but i think they could provide good input if they met with the guys during their private workouts and gave their opinions on how certain players would fit in the lockeroom and off the field. 

BucsAddict

Starter

#20 : January 10, 2007, 10:08:34 AM

sounds like a good idea. They are not , in effect, hiring the coach but giving their perspective on the candidate after talking to him.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A twist in coach hiring!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools