Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How bad was the offense this year? Take a look « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: January 09, 2007, 12:19:23 PM

Easy question right? Of course, they were awful. It's easy to see watching the game but looked up some stats from Football Outsiders (thnx Dalbuc) and found these tasty tidbits to help define how awful:

Rankings for yardage gained on downs: (could've went to down and distance but didn't think it was necessary unless these were better rankings, when you suck you suck)

1st down - 29th
2nd down - 28th
3rd down - 27th

More interesting, IMO, are these stats:

- The Bucs were ranked 28th in the league when starting anywhere in between the Bucs 40 and the opponent's 40.

- The Bucs were ranked 30th in the league when starting between the OPPONENTS 39-21 yard line. At a point where defenses were backed up the offense still laid an egg.

- The Bucs were ranked 31st in the league in goal-to-go situations. This ones a pretty clear example of how inept this offense was this year.

it can only go up from here right?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2007, 12:23:01 PM

With a OL in flux and a QB who had no business starting for most of the year, that's not surprising..

Has to get better, and I would be very surprised if it didn't.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 09, 2007, 01:23:14 PM

Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson couldn't definitely help those numbers.

In Verner We Trust

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2007, 01:29:49 PM

I would love to have Johnson but Thomas just makes the most sense. If we could get that LT in Thomas and have Beunning (healthy hopefully), get a center, Davin Joseph and Trueblood/ A. Davis. That would be the makings of a really solid OL that is young and talented.

Baghead #2

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 09, 2007, 01:46:03 PM

I would love to have Johnson but Thomas just makes the most sense. If we could get that LT in Thomas and have Beunning (healthy hopefully), get a center, Davin Joseph and Trueblood/ A. Davis. That would be the makings of a really solid OL that is young and talented.

We might even be able to get by without a new center, and if we land Thomas, it would behoove us (always liked that word) to have some experience at center to make the line calls with such a group of youngsters...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 09, 2007, 01:53:01 PM

Easy question right? Of course, they were awful. It's easy to see watching the game but looked up some stats from Football Outsiders (thnx Dalbuc) and found these tasty tidbits to help define how awful:

When i said I was looking for the good news before it was these sorts of things I was looking at trying to find the magic beans to see what we were doing well. Usually there's something you are good at but the long and harder I looked the worse and worse things got.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2007, 01:53:51 PM

ha, behoove, I hear ya! You are right about that though. I heard where Jeremy Newberry is going to make a come back. He had bad knees but has recovered really well according to PFW. Not sure what his contract status is but he could be a nice find. Great ability just been hurt.

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2007, 01:55:21 PM

Newberry would be a FA center this year according to NFLPA.....

Baghead #2

T

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 09, 2007, 01:57:18 PM

Calvin Johnson would improve those stats right away, while Clayton sits on the bench and helps out with Special Teams.

BUCS47

Rookie

#9 : January 09, 2007, 05:44:37 PM

I say grab Thomas. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Build a solid o-line and everything else will fall into place. IMHO.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 09, 2007, 09:16:56 PM

When i said I was looking for the good news before it was these sorts of things I was looking at trying to find the magic beans to see what we were doing well. Usually there's something you are good at but the long and harder I looked the worse and worse things got.

Pure genius!!

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#11 : January 09, 2007, 09:39:42 PM

If that boy from West Virginia makes it to say 7th rd....I say we snag him up....

We might even be able to get by without a new center, and if we land Thomas, it would behoove us (always liked that word) to have some experience at center to make the line calls with such a group of youngsters...

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How bad was the offense this year? Take a look « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools