Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeremy Newberry « previous next »
Page: 1

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: January 09, 2007, 02:07:06 PM

Just sorta stumbled upon this possiblity. Jeremy Newberry from the 49'ers. Newberry was a former probowler in 2002. Newberry played 16 games in 2003 with a very severe ankle injury (which he won an award for) and in 2004 and 2005 was injured again. He is a really tough guy that is physical and nasty and will be 31 in march. He plays hurt (just not with a blown out knee ha).

This is what has been said about Newberry per "whispers PFW"....

We're hearing that veteran Niners C Jeremy Newberry's surgically repaired knees are feeling good enough for him to reconsider his retirement plans. Word is those knees held up just fine recently when he leg-pressed 360 pounds 40 times.

Now if he checks out medically and has the fire to play we should make a move for this guy. Newberry could be a real find. Only 31 years old (for a center, not bad) and we need a freaking center that can contribute, win a battle in the run game. Something to think about...

Baghead #2

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2007, 02:08:54 PM

He was decent for the 9ers, but we can't afford, IMO, a project.  We need a "healthy" proven guy...IMO

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 09, 2007, 02:12:25 PM

You can handle him if you get the low-cost looksie type deal but you can't go with this as plan A. There has to be a backup plan if a guy who hasn't payed in  years doesn't pan out.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2007, 02:14:23 PM

On the plus side though, he does know the principles of the WCO and has experience making the line calls with that knowledge. So he might provide a little advantage there, even if he's not totally familiar with Gruden's version..

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 09, 2007, 02:14:44 PM

You can handle him if you get the low-cost looksie type deal but you can't go with this as plan A. There has to be a backup plan if a guy who hasn't payed in years doesn't pan out.

True, but that just smells like another year of Raggedy Ann.  Which they keep talking like he plays well or something...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

T

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 09, 2007, 02:23:38 PM

The Bucs need to sign RELIABLE, healthy and productive players in free agency. Not injury prone players past their prime.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2007, 02:24:30 PM

All good points. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in here and give it a shot. I'm not saying we make him a substantial offer or bank on him being the starter either but I did think this was interesting, being how we could use center. Newberry is good when healthy, emphasis on healthy.

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#7 : January 09, 2007, 02:33:37 PM

We would hold all the cards on Newberry. We could sign him for vet minimum and let Mahan go. I'll take a beat up Newberry, as a backup over a healthy Mahan any day of the week.

Remember, Christy was barely standing in 2002 when we won it all. He was very underrated and overlooked for leading the OL, during the stretch run. The next year, he was gone, and we all know how badly the OL collapsed in 2003. We need a Pro Bowl caliber veteran C to make all the proper line calls.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 09, 2007, 03:34:00 PM

Can he long snap?  If he could win that job and serve as a valuable backup now I'm liking the guy

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 09, 2007, 04:01:52 PM

There's no reason we couldn't sign Newberry to a cheap deal, resign Mahan (I'm not a huge fan, but he's versatile and he seemed to be better at C than G) and bring Wade back and bring them all to camp. Loser gets to find a new team in August.

watson

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 09, 2007, 05:02:49 PM

What scares me is I still have bad memories of the last 9er OL that the Bucs signed.......that still hurts.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 09, 2007, 05:10:10 PM

There's no reason we couldn't sign Newberry to a cheap deal, resign Mahan (I'm not a huge fan, but he's versatile and he seemed to be better at C than G) and bring Wade back and bring them all to camp. Loser gets to find a new team in August.

This would be ideal and I agree Newberry could be had for cheap. 06 was his last year and he made 1.5. We could get him in here for nothing...

Baghead #2

Orangegone1

Starter

#12 : January 10, 2007, 09:40:10 AM

What scares me is I still have bad memories of the last 9er OL that the Bucs signed.......that still hurts.

I was thinking the same thing. Deese was a really good player but getting older and coming off an injury. It might have looked good on paper at the time but it sure didn't work out well.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeremy Newberry « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools