Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW on the DET Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

redtab78

Pro Bowler
: January 09, 2007, 08:13:45 PM

I really think they pass on QB - Believe it or not, they seem to like Kitna. There's a reason McCown never took over, despite the record (heck, he lined up as a WR several times).. I think OL or DL is a lock for their pick. The only position we know they won't take is WR.

I don't deny that this is smokescreen season - and lets keep in mind that teams (not scouts, but the rest) are just getting started in terms of evaluating some of these guys - but I really believe the Lions feel like QB is way down the list for them in terms of needs.

I think Backus is a FA no?

Why would they not take a WR?  seems like a playmaker is what they need...

also....at what price would you pay if you were Det, to get Vick?

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2007, 04:38:53 PM

This'll be interesting since a lot of folks, me included, thought qB was a natural fit:

• Not only are the Lions not feeling the pressure to draft a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick, we're told they may not even feel the need to select one, period, in the 2007 draft. Although he didn't see the field in 2006, we're told Detroit still feels good about 2005 fifth-rounder Dan Orlovsky and wouldn't see the rationale in selecting another developmental, second-day passer.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

shall555

Starter

#2 : January 09, 2007, 04:51:51 PM

If this is the case, maybe they are looking at either DE Adams/Anderson or RB Adrian Peterson. They have a franchise LT in Backus, so I don't think they'll spend a #2 on Thomas @ RT, and drafting a WR would be suicide.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2007, 05:00:31 PM

If this is the case, maybe they are looking at either DE Adams/Anderson or RB Adrian Peterson. They have a franchise LT in Backus, so I don't think they'll spend a #2 on Thomas @ RT, and drafting a WR would be suicide.

What I'm reading out of DET is that since they led the league in sacks allowed they might well be looking at Thomas and moving Backus to ROT.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 09, 2007, 05:08:36 PM

I know but to feel good about Orvlosky....I think that is a smoke screen but who knows.

I have their needs as

1. QB
2. DE (This could be eliminated with FA or a trade)
3. OT

But that is just how I see things. Detroit has kevin jones who is capable, they have roy williams, they could add Russell or Quinn and really have that offense solidified with young talent. They could make a move in FA or trade for a DE (cough cough-Rice trade). We do need to worry about them taking Thomas though, no question about it. I think they have to go QB because they have passed on 2 great young QBs in cutler and Leinart and to know let Russell or Quinn go, that would spell doom to that franchise should Quinn or Russell succeed. I believe its simply too much of a roll of dice to not take Quinn or Russell from a FO standpoint.

Baghead #2

watson

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 09, 2007, 05:09:50 PM

What I'm reading out of DET is that since they led the league in sacks allowed they might well be looking at Thomas and moving Backus to ROT.
That would be a pretty impressive set of OTs.  If they go after Freeney in FA then this would make a lot of sense.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#6 : January 09, 2007, 05:19:32 PM

Do not be surprised to see the Lions take Joe Thomas

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2007, 05:20:55 PM

Do not be surprised to see the Lions take Joe Thomas

I wouldn't be suprised, pissed would be more like it.

Baghead #2

BucsAddict

Starter

#8 : January 09, 2007, 05:41:11 PM

everything reported is questionable since most teams purposefully release competing theories on who they want

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

shall555

Starter

#9 : January 09, 2007, 05:43:49 PM

Moving Backus to RT and signing Freeney makes a lot more sense. Having those OT bookends would make their offense even more dangerous. They were getting there towards the end of the year and Kitna threw for 4,200 yards. Could Millen finally be getting it right? LOL.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 09, 2007, 05:52:08 PM

This'll be interesting since a lot of folks, me included, thought qB was a natural fit:

• Not only are the Lions not feeling the pressure to draft a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick, we're told they may not even feel the need to select one, period, in the 2007 draft. Although he didn't see the field in 2006, we're told Detroit still feels good about 2005 fifth-rounder Dan Orlovsky and wouldn't see the rationale in selecting another developmental, second-day passer.

Why didn't Orlovsky play this year?  He's a career backup.  Smokescreen season is just getting warmed up!

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#11 : January 09, 2007, 05:54:37 PM

Didn't they also sign McCown to a multi-year deal?  I don't see the rationale for them drafting a QB high 1st round unless they will be starting by sometime mid-season.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#12 : January 09, 2007, 06:02:51 PM

When you have Mike Martz, you don't need to spend a high pick on a QB. Look what Kitna did this year.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 09, 2007, 06:23:55 PM

First of all we can't control anything that happens before our pick.  2nd, isn't it time to have some gamesmenship?  We should just disregard anything you hear from now until draft time that comes from ANY coaches mouth.  To include our own.  Hey Rod just started early...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

TBYFLBuc

Second String

#14 : January 09, 2007, 06:31:34 PM

With Marinelli their now I cant see how he will not start the rebuilding process by going Defense just like he did last year. Unless Millin gets his way and drafts Calvin Johnson I think Gains will be OFF the board by the time we draft. We will draft Calvin Johnson OR Joe T. and Half of us will be pissed either way. Half will **CENSORED** and want Gruden fired so either way he is screwed on this board
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW on the DET Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools