Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW on the DET Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
« #15 : January 09, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

Backus' natural position is Right Tackle and the Lions offense sputtered due to Oline play.  Marinelli wants to draft linemen whether that be on defense OR offense.  The Lions will take Joe Thomas if they pass on a QB and elect not to trade down. No defensive lineman is worthy of 2nd pick. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #16 : January 09, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »

I really think they pass on QB - Believe it or not, they seem to like Kitna. There's a reason McCown never took over, despite the record (heck, he lined up as a WR several times).. I think OL or DL is a lock for their pick. The only position we know they won't take is WR.

I don't deny that this is smokescreen season - and lets keep in mind that teams (not scouts, but the rest) are just getting started in terms of evaluating some of these guys - but I really believe the Lions feel like QB is way down the list for them in terms of needs.

I think Backus is a FA no?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 09, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »

Detroit concerns me with the possiblity of drafting Joe Thomas but if they do then we have a hellified consolation prize in Johnson or a QB...

Baghead #2

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

« #18 : January 09, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »

Detroit is probably just trying to find a partner to trade down with. They have more pressing needs at defense and while Joe Thomas  would not be a bad pick, it is not really a pressing need for them. They'd be better off trading down and grabbing a top tier pass rusher, which this class seems have quite a few of now.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 09, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »

If this is the case, maybe they are looking at either DE Adams/Anderson or RB Adrian Peterson. They have a franchise LT in Backus, so I don't think they'll spend a #2 on Thomas @ RT, and drafting a WR would be suicide.

What I'm reading out of DET is that since they led the league in sacks allowed they might well be looking at Thomas and moving Backus to ROT.

They franchised their LOT.  Backus has the tag I believe.  If they took Joe Thomas that would be a hell of a lot of money tied up in tackles.  LOT or not.  Backus cap value is about 7mill from what I read.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #20 : January 09, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »

I really think they pass on QB - Believe it or not, they seem to like Kitna. There's a reason McCown never took over, despite the record (heck, he lined up as a WR several times).. I think OL or DL is a lock for their pick. The only position we know they won't take is WR.

I don't deny that this is smokescreen season - and lets keep in mind that teams (not scouts, but the rest) are just getting started in terms of evaluating some of these guys - but I really believe the Lions feel like QB is way down the list for them in terms of needs.

I think Backus is a FA no?

Why would they not take a WR? seems like a playmaker is what they need...
Why would Millen not take a WR?  I think its because he values his skin and doesn't want to get skinned alive by Lions fans.  There is no way on earth the Lions will take Johnson, however I could easily see another team trading up there to get Johnson.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

« #21 : January 09, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »

Backus' natural position is Right Tackle and the Lions offense sputtered due to Oline play. Marinelli wants to draft linemen whether that be on defense OR offense. The Lions will take Joe Thomas if they pass on a QB and elect not to trade down. No defensive lineman is worthy of 2nd pick.

I agree with you 100%. There is a lot of time between now and the draft, but barring major injury you can start sizing Joe Thomas for his Lion's Jersey right now.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #22 : January 09, 2007, 09:22:48 PM »

Were the Chargers afraid to draft another first round QB after Ryan Leaf and Drew Brees?  Considering they are 14-2 this year I'd say it worked out for them.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

« #23 : January 09, 2007, 09:38:31 PM »

But neither Leaf or Brees(at that time) did anything to solidify the QB position in San Diego. Both sucked and Brees only blossomed after Rivers was drafted. Also, wasn't Brees a second round pick?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #24 : January 09, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »

But neither Leaf or Brees(at that time) did anything to solidify the QB position in San Diego. Both sucked and Brees only blossomed after Rivers was drafted. Also, wasn't Brees a second round pick?

Brees was first round and that was my point, you can't be afraid to draft certain positions just because you've been burned in the past.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #25 : January 09, 2007, 09:43:01 PM »

Were the Chargers afraid to draft another first round QB after Ryan Leaf and Drew Brees?  Considering they are 14-2 this year I'd say it worked out for them.
Thats only two QBs and Brees was a 2nd rounder.  And I don't think those were in consecutive years and I don't think the GM had fans protest by walking out of the stadium.  The Lions drafted three straight WRs in the first round.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #26 : January 09, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »

My bad.  He was the 1st pick of the 2nd round in 2001.

« #27 : January 09, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »

PFT is saying the Lions are leaning Thomas' way (####!!!!)

Badabingnrt

Starter

« #28 : January 10, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »

the Lions will draft a Qb.  If not Millen is an idiot.  Kitna is a washed up vet.  McCown is a never was...and Orklosvy is a 5th rounder.

Thats like saying the Bucs wont draft a QB because they have Simms and Gradkowski.  I personally would be estatic if we drafted Calvin Johnson or JaMarcus Russell.  I wouldn't mind Gaines Adams, but would be pissed if we selected him over CJ and JR.

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
« #29 : January 10, 2007, 02:41:27 AM »

Badabignrt,
Think about the situation from Millen's shoes. He has one more year to put up a respectable record or he is gone. That is fact. Canned, fired, punted, gonzo... How frequently do rookie QBs actually improve a team's record? Rare if never unless your name is Dan Marino.  That AND Marinelli's philosophy that games are won and lost on the line that will drive Detroit to take an olineman or dlineman or trade down.  Given that they have 2nd pick and no dlineman is worthy of second pick, it is Joe Thomas or trade down.  Just like last week or week before when someone called me an idiot for suggesting Millen would keep his job even after I explained the rationale as to why he would, I am confident that my rationale for why Detroit will NOT take a QB is accurate.  Believe what you want, but I've stated my case for the record and the Bucs should be planning as if Detroit will take Joe Thomas or trade down.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW on the DET Draft « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools