Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Tim Tebow switch to a Mike Alstott like NFL Player? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

LFO

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 20, 2008, 03:30:30 PM

I think Jon makes a run at Tim...Urban and Jon are close (Notre Dame connection) and he will get an insiders look at what he can do

When Tim comes out I think Jon's eye will be on #15 from UF

Only 3 INTs in 13 games is something that would catch JG's eyes. But I don't think he'll have a shot at him. Detroit, KC, Minny, Maybe NYJ, SF, are all in need of a QB and all draft ahead of us.

I dont think they take Tebow though. Thats the thing hes such an unknown risk that some teams may want to pass and get more of a sure thing...or maight wait to see if he falls to them in round 2

He is not a bigger risk than Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Joey Harrington, Sylvester Morris, Troy Williamson, Alex Smith, Mike Nugent (seriously a kicker as your first pick??)...

Also, don't discount Oakland taking a stab at him. Crazy Al is likely to do anything.

Exactly.  Every college player is at best, a 50/50 shot at becoming a good NFL player. 

IMO Tebow will either play QB in the NFL, or won't play at all.  He will get a shot somewhere to be a QB.  If it doesn't pan out, I am sure he will find other things to do with his life and enjoy it. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 23, 2008, 10:33:29 AM

It's just hard to go from Urban's O to a pro style O. However, the kid seems really bright and I don't think an nfl contract to go to his head so, if someone can do it, why not tebow?

Alex Smith's problems aren't transferring to a Pro-Style Offense.  His arm strength is questionable and he has a problem holding onto the ball.  Two things that won't be a deterrent for Tebow.

It remains to be seen if Tebow will be able to read a Pro-Style defense, although the Alabama game was a pretty good measuring stick.

Wait, did he just develop those issues when he got drafted?  'cause if not I guess the problem would still be from going to a prostyle O since those issue didn't seem to bother him at Utah.

It doesn't matter what type of offense the player runs, he either has a good arm or he doesn't.  Smith doesn't have that strong of an arm and Tebow does.  There really isn't much of a debate about that.

Right so the arm strength didn't change, and Smith was great running his college offense and sucked at his pro offense, so how that's not problems adjusting to the pro style offense I guess will just remain a mystery to me 'cause it sure seems like that's pretty straight forward.

The question about running the offense is if a player can go through his reads in a defense.  Smith hasn't struggled too much that, Vince Young has.  It remains to be seen if Tebow will or will not have that problem.  I don't know if Tebow is as smart a guy as Alex Smith, but I'm pretty sure he's smarter than Vince Young.

I'll give Tebow the nod on IQ and Character which is two things he'll need to call on to make a successful switch.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 23, 2008, 10:36:43 AM

Exactly.  Every college player is at best, a 50/50 shot at becoming a good NFL player. 

No.  Maybe at QB but even then I'd be hard pressed to agree with that.  Just because there are a lot of people who think they know, but actually aren't really that good at projecting guys to the nfl doesn't mean the best shot any college player has is 50/50.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 23, 2008, 10:39:04 AM

Right so the arm strength didn't change, and Smith was great running his college offense and sucked at his pro offense, so how that's not problems adjusting to the pro style offense I guess will just remain a mystery to me 'cause it sure seems like that's pretty straight forward.

Smith doesn't suck at running his offense, he sucks at holding onto the ball and making the throws because of lack of arm strength.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 23, 2008, 11:19:36 AM

Smith doesn't suck at running his offense, he sucks at holding onto the ball and making the throws because of lack of arm strength.

Are you purposely trying to be funny?   

Hey, that car isn't slow, it just has a small engine with no power  plus it weights as much as a cement truck so it doesn't move fast nor is it quick. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : December 23, 2008, 12:02:51 PM

You are having difficulty differentiating between weak arm strength and the ability to run an offense. 

The mental part of the game isn't a problem for Smith, and probably won't be a problem for Tebow, only time will tell.  Having the arm strength to make the throws is the problem for Smith and that most definitely will not be a problem for Tebow.  Tebow's arm strength is fine.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 23, 2008, 12:08:18 PM

I think Mark Alstott is great
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Tim Tebow switch to a Mike Alstott like NFL Player? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools